I'm worried about all the changes and complaints

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Seeing the tons of issues people are having, and the tons of complains, I can't possibly imagine them fixing it all on a short time frame.
By the end of this year we will still be recovering from all the lost functionalities.

Msdn forums - Windows Phone Preview OS Issues
Already over 600 issues.

Instead of adding functionality, Microsoft has unnecessarily changed and removed too many details. And for all the people outside the US, Cortana doesn't even make up for the losses. They don't even have quiet hours.

There are just too many ridiculous changes, like the new curser selector between letters, games showing separate in the app list, the removal of good FB integration and other, no OndeDrive uploading etc.. They just make me go WHY WHY WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

I'm kind of worried.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone 8.1 is going to suck a long time

Aswell quiet hours, i waited for it so long and i just got shafted, because im not 'Murican.
******* MicrUSoft, do they think that all Europeans only know Russian language or what?

Aswell WP8.1 as an RTM is really buggy, that wasn't the case with GDR3, GDR3 RTM was just flawless. I guess they'll have to fix alot of ****.

For example i can't open IE advanced settings, because it just crashes, aswell reading mode just gives me a white screen, alarms still unreliable and might not ring when you need the most.

Aswell there's some sort of voice service with Cortana voice for europeans, but it's extremelly limited, you need to HOLD search button, don't press, just hold.

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

Have to agree, fine I don't get Cortana but give me quiet hours, inner circle, ability to add appointments straight from email

brooose

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

This is a preview version. We install this knowing there will be bugs. The whole point of the pre-release is to get it out to sufficient numbers of people that Microsoft gets real world data on how WP8.1 performs. If you expected it to be perfect out of the box, you didn't read the Terms and Conditions when you downloaded Preview for Developers.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site

This is a preview version. We install this knowing there will be bugs. The whole point of the pre-release is to get it out to sufficient numbers of people that Microsoft gets real world data on how WP8.1 performs. If you expected it to be perfect out of the box, you didn't read the Terms and Conditions when you downloaded Preview for Developers.

Stop this argument. WP8.1 devices are coming out next month. There is no way Microsoft can fix all the issues and complains by june/juli when the update is out for everyone.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

This is RTM version, it's already getting shafted on the new phones... Dev preview just lets you get it earlier than OEMS prepares it for you devices or carriers decides to give it to you
It isn't an actual beta, but with that many issues i can see RTM getting delayed and fixed properly, because now it's ridiculous

R.I.P - WP It was good while it lasted

brooose

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

Stop this argument? Really? Nice attitude. I'm not saying roll over and agree with me but you don't have to be rude.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site

This is RTM version, it's already getting shafted on the new phones... Dev preview just lets you get it earlier than OEMS prepares it for you devices or carriers decides to give it to you
It isn't an actual beta, but with that many issues i can see RTM getting delayed and fixed properly, because now it's ridiculous

There are just too many ridiculous changes, like the new curser selector between letters, games showing separate in the app list, the removal of good FB integration and other, no OndeDrive uploading etc.. They just make me go WHY WHY WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

brooose

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

While I am not ready to dig the grave for Windows Phone yet, I see your point.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Thank You Broose, I couldn't agree more. People need to stop whining about what's missing this is a "Preview" after all. The only part that is actually finalised is the core OS. The apps still need to be worked on. You'll probably find that in less than a month when the new handsets featuring WP8.1 are released the majority if not all of these issues will have been dealt with.

If you do have a problem with something be constructive about it don't Whine. Make a comment somewhere that microsoft is going to pay attention (Like HERE) and clearly state what the issue is and how you feel it should work best.

This then serves everyones best interests and makes for Happy users that use a platform which works for them.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the complains, everything in WP 8.1 has been a game change and I love it... Can't wait until we update to RTM

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

i'll agree there are some niggles (one of mine was cleared up this morning with a skype update, i was unable to interact with messenger contacts) but overall the platform is better and will thrive because of the changes being made.

I wish intergration of things like the music hub and people/messaging hub could be retained but that the same time it makes sense to isolate them so that updates can come quicker to them.

There was also far to much duplication occurring with my phone going off multiple times when i got a message on facebook for example where different apps and platforms were all notifying me at the same time. That had to go.

Most of the belly aching really does seem to be people who are resistant to change even if it is for the better. it's something ingrained on us at an atomic level. People just like Electrons always favour the path with the least resistance.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Most of the changes are benign. Games in App list? Seriously?! New Cursor(which I like), or noes, whatever shall I do -.-.
Removal of Facebook integration is down to Facebook and not Microsoft. OneDrive can upload from the now built in Onedrive app and the settings pane (set to auto-upload)
600 issues which all repeat the same thing....something's changed, we don't like that.

i can't open IE advanced settings, because it just crashes, aswell reading mode just gives me a white screen, alarms still unreliable and might not ring when you need the most.

Aswell there's some sort of voice service with Cortana voice for europeans, but it's extremelly limited, you need to HOLD search button, don't press, just hold.
OK, IE works for me. All of it. Reading mode also works for me. Is your phone a HTC or a Huawei by any chance? Those two models seem to be having trouble with this update.
The "Cortana" in Europe is just the old Tell Me with a new UI moved to the search button where it makes sense(there was also a user voice petition asking for that IIRC). Alarms are also working for me as well.
The way I use my phone remains unchanged tbh, new Notification center sorts the problem of duplicate notifications in Twitter app and Me Hub.New people hub is better.
New Pictures hub makes it far easier to get to your photos. Games in App list. Not a big deal. I think that is because of the games hub being offloaded to the store now. The only downside is the music app, which will be fixed soon. So...um. Yeah, I like 8.1, and so do reviewers. Even David Pierce of theVerge likes it. And he hates windows phone.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Most of the changes are benign. Games in App list? Seriously?! New Cursor(which I like), or noes, whatever shall I do -.-.
Removal of Facebook integration is down to Facebook and not Microsoft. OneDrive can upload from the now built in Onedrive app and the settings pane (set to auto-upload)
600 issues which all repeat the same thing....something's changed, we don't like that.

OK, IE works for me. All of it. Reading mode also works for me. Is your phone a HTC or a Huawei by any chance? Those two models seem to be having trouble with this update.
The "Cortana" in Europe is just the old Tell Me with a new UI moved to the search button where it makes sense(there was also a user voice petition asking for that IIRC). Alarms are also working for me as well.
The way I use my phone remains unchanged tbh, new Notification center sorts the problem of duplicate notifications in Twitter app and Me Hub.New people hub is better.
New Pictures hub makes it far easier to get to your photos. Games in App list. Not a big deal. I think that is because of the games hub being offloaded to the store now. The only downside is the music app, which will be fixed soon. So...um. Yeah, I like 8.1, and so do reviewers. Even David Pierce of theVerge likes it. And he hates windows phone.

Why could a Game hub that is offloaded to the store not include shortcuts to your games and hide them from the app list? I'm sure this can be done with smart coding.

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

You seriously think that the changes they made to facebook is for the better?

And what about the notifications that don't work most of the time? I've had to restart my device three times in 1 hour for it to work properly.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

You seriously think that the changes they made to facebook is for the better?

And what about the notifications that don't work most of the time? I've had to restart my device three times in 1 hour for it to work properly.

I think if the removal of Facebook integration was necessary if it indeed will allow feature parity with the actual PC client and other mobile apps. While it might have been sufficient for some, it really wasn't for a serious user. Now, that's not to say what we have now is perfect. It's actually quite strange in function. I think in time, MS will figure out how to fine tune it.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Mine work all the time. What do you mean?
For Facebook, no I don't think it's for the better, but I could hardly care as I filtered out Facebook in my people hub anyway. WHAT I SAID was that it was properly done by request of facebook to push people towards their official apps. If I'm right, I think the Facebook 8.1 update would probably remove the messenger from our app as well, forcing us to make use of their messenger app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss