How to remove Developer Preview and restore the 'old' WP8 on Nokia devices

SergeMcG

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes it is not just because we might not like WP 8.1. (actually, I think it is a great step towards the right direction), it is that we have to return the device or use the same sim and microsoft ID with different phone.

My situation and questions:

I have more than one phone on preview. 925 and 1020, had to use two different MSFT ID. I have to return one (discovered a defect in the screen on the new 1020) so I will do as you suggested.
I've been familiar with the process but now I wonder what to do when I will get a replacement. -->

1) Should I upgrade the phone to 8.1 and then login with my Microsoft ID? 2) Or should I login MSDT ID and start the preview process aftwerards?

3) Will MSFT allow me to preview 8.1 on more than one device (not at the same time: one returned another one will be provided) using the same MSFT ID? In my case I had to use two IDs.

4) If I have to use different IDs (3), what should I do to restore my latest backup on Lumia 1020 with Preview 8.1. to the new Lumia 1020 that I will get as a replacement?

Many thanks to anyone who knows what to do and willing to help me.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
There are some out there (like me) who just couldn't get DP to work well for them

It takes a while to get use to DP. When my wife and I first tried DP, it was a bit awkward but we got used to DP. Don't give up just yet. DP offers a lot and can be fun and rewarding. Just give it some time and you will get use to DP as my wife and I did.

P.S my wife and I both have the Lumia Icon

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It takes a while to get use to DP. When my wife and I first tried DP, it was a bit awkward but we got used to DP. Don't give up just yet. DP offers a lot and can be fun and rewarding. Just give it some time and you will get use to DP as my wife and I did.

P.S my wife and I both have the Lumia Icon

Yea........no. :straight:

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I feel like going back to WP8 :(
Everytime I close an app there's a stutter in transitions I can't stand lags or stutters :(

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for posting this HomeyJay! Installed DP on my 520. Loved the update but the inability to sync Google accounts was a show-stopper for me. Back to WP8.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
3) Will MSFT allow me to preview 8.1 on more than one device (not at the same time: one returned another one will be provided) using the same MSFT ID? In my case I had to use two IDs.

Many thanks to anyone who knows what to do and willing to help me.

I put the DP on my 1520 and my 520 using the same ID, the 520 is a backup phone, but I really hope my 1520 doesn't fail me. I can't imagine using the little, bitty, tiny 520 again. LoL

SergeMcG

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
It didn't work for me but I will try again. In case more than one ID is needed, the work around (just tested) is to hard reset the phone upgraded (to developer preview with the secondary account) and connect the clean hard reset one to the primary microsoft ID.

So I want to back up all I can from the phone I'm returning and will restore on the new one. From developer preview to developer preview. If I restore on 8.0 and then upgrade, I bet it will not work well or I will lose something in the process.

pastosdev

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here.
Let me just say that this WPCentral forums have been really helpful to me trying to figure out what is going on with my phone's battery consumption.

I manage to do a rollback by using "Nokia Software Recovery Tool".
After you install the software you will have to restart your pc in order to then identify your phone.
From that point on is easy.
Just a couple of clicks and it starts downloading an "image" of a previous version (Firmware: 3051.40000.1349.0003 and OS 8.0.10517.150 in my case). Extras+info said this was the Black update.
Whole process took around 40 minutes on 10Mbps line including installation on phone.
Have in mind that before this "rollback" I had no backup image of my phone or anything of the likes. I only had a backup of my stuff on my Outlook account.

I really like and prefer WP8.1 with the new features, but I had to go back to WP8 due to battery issues.

Now that I am confident that a rollback can be done I will try installing WP8.1 again(perhaps when it is officially out on the 23rd), and see if battery issues are still in existence.

RCEstrimos0131

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Can we get Windows Phone 8 back after WP8.1?

I've been playing around with the 8.1 developer preview and must say I am not happy at all. Some of the new stuff is good but we are basically and IMO left with Android plus live tiles and that's not what I want.

Many if not most of the unique points WP had seem to have been eliminated.
The action centre may be great for some, but besides the quick action buttons it's pretty much what we had in Notifications in the people hub.
Facebook integration was so great but it's all but eliminated
Thanks to Cortana instead of 'search' > 'scan' I now have to jump through hoops to scan a QR code
The screenshot keycombo is awkward at best

Besides these and quite a few other points this preview is so bugridden it's not even funny. I sure hope MSFT pulls this one out of the fire in time but I fear their ambition will leave us with a mess when this gets out.

few issues;

- Wifi OFF toggle goes to settings
- games show up in applist
- xbox (games) hub keeps reloading
- Facebook share is completely broken and horrible now.
- Issues with people hub, music hub, video hub
- generally laggyness
- many apps are very jumpy
- VPN is there but is at best limited in the way it is implemented. (supported modes)

Now I know some of these may be fixed with new firmware but there is way too much not going right when it would appear this is what MSFT is going with. From past releases we know there's not much more they can/will change and they probably pretty much signed off on this. Right now I am very tempted to flash back to 8.0 and wait for things to come. If it goes the way I fear it will I may as well go Android as it seems MSFT is following their model and right now Android is way more mature if you ask me.

But I am ready to be proven wrong, MSFT make my day PLEASE!!

With GAMES, there's an update, go to Store>check updates>

After the update, games installed will appear on the GAME tile.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here.
Let me just say that this WPCentral forums have been really helpful to me trying to figure out what is going on with my phone's battery consumption.

I manage to do a rollback by using "Nokia Software Recovery Tool".
After you install the software you will have to restart your pc in order to then identify your phone.
From that point on is easy.
Just a couple of clicks and it starts downloading an "image" of a previous version (Firmware: 3051.40000.1349.0003 and OS 8.0.10517.150 in my case). Extras+info said this was the Black update.
Whole process took around 40 minutes on 10Mbps line including installation on phone.
Have in mind that before this "rollback" I had no backup image of my phone or anything of the likes. I only had a backup of my stuff on my Outlook account.

I really like and prefer WP8.1 with the new features, but I had to go back to WP8 due to battery issues.

Now that I am confident that a rollback can be done I will try installing WP8.1 again(perhaps when it is officially out on the 23rd), and see if battery issues are still in existence.

Battery issue! what type of issue? I have the L625 and it did increase the battery life for me

pastosdev

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
About release date. I read it here Windows Phone 8.1 release date tipped for April 23 with new smartphones - News - Trusted Reviews
Not sure if it is true.

@Alain_A
About the battery issue I mentioned:
After installing WP8.1 I installed the Battery app.
So I was keeping an eye on my battery through the Battery app and the Battery Saver that comes along with the update. Both would give my phone 13 hours when fully charged.
After 8 hours, both apps would still mention 13 hours left. I thought it could be one of those things where the new update would require some time to calibrate the battery sensor.
I did a few soft resets, but the issue did not go away. I did drain(gaming, youtube etc) the battery 3-4 times and did a full charge to no avail.
Also, at some point the battery consumption would always be at around 7.3% per hour, and it would drain the battery fast and way earlier than the phone's prediction.
This would happen with just the WiFi on, 3G, 40 minutes of bluetooth per day, and only the Battery app allowed to run in background.
I could get 20 hours out of the phone, but with minimal use.
My use is on average 2 phonecalls,10 sms, only sync 1 email account(hotmail), the 40 minutes of bluetooth(in car) I mentioned, and no social apps to sync. No Whatsapp, nothing of the likes.
I also have glance on interval. Nothing else runs on background.
You could say I am a very light user, and I should be able to get easily 2 days of battery life. I couldn't get 1 day with the new update. Also, at one point, I saw my battery consumption dropping less than 0.5% and giving me 5 days of battery life, but that only lasted 1 hour, and then back to the 7.3% usage.
All in all, the phone would not last 1 day with my light use.

As you can tell, I got confused, and could not trust my phone under these circumstances. However, I will give the WP8.1 another shot of course as I liked it a lot with its new features.
My issue could be situational, or I was just not patient enough to wait and see if it "fixes" itself. This whole procedure lasted approximately 5 days, so you could easily say that I did not perform a patient experiment, and that's why I will be giving it a 2nd chance.

pp_pedro96

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I?ve updated my phone to windows phone 8.1 and I really wanna go back to the previous OS. I?ve already tried many ways to get the older software but i can?t manage to get WP 8 on my phone

First , Nokia Software recovery tool wont recognize my phone so it keeps on telling me to hold the volume and lock button but my phone keeps on turning on normally (plugged into usb)

Can someone help me? I really miss my "old" phone :/

pastosdev

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
After you install the Nokia software reboot your PC.
Then connect your phone to PC via usb cable.
Run the Nokia software and just click the button to install the previous firmware.
It should then start downloading the image, and then it will install it on your phone.

I did this on Windows 8.1. Your PC must be connected to the internet.
The whole download is 1.38GB.

Hopefully it will work.

P.S. Try to run the Nokia software as Administrator just to make sure there are no hiccups.

elitejedimaster

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

My wife's phone is set up with her ID, but used my ID for logging into the Preview for Developers app. Installed without any problem. :smile:

pp_pedro96

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I?ve already tried to do the steps you told me to, and the Nokia software recovery tool just cannot read my phone?s information. Do you know what else can i do?
Thanks in advance

I3unny

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Better go to NOKIA CARE near your home and give them your phone to update it to whatever OS update they have!(in India, I found that many of the nokia care centers have Amber update) That's the easiest way to go back to WP8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte