What are your 2 favorite WP8.1 features - top expected and top UNexpected

EuroKnuter

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm absolutely loving my 8.1 update on my Lumia 1520. I'm one of the 'lucky' ones with no show stopper issues at all, and no bothersome nits. My day-to-day usage leaves me feeling like I just got a brand new phone (again, only a few months after picking up my 1520). So, since I've been so happy with the update I'm curious! What is your favorite EXPECTED feature that you knew you'd love before you tried it (and it was all that and more), and which is your favorite UNEXPECTED feature that you didn't know was there or thought very little of it when details were leaked?

This thread is for positive WP8.1 posts - let us have our little moment. There's a TON of Q&A and rant threads out there already...

I'll start off:
------------------------------------------------
Top Expected feature:
Definitely "The Center". Now that I've used it a few days I don't know how I lived w/out it. List of notifications and quick access to functions. Great stuff!

My top Unexpected feature:
Cortana. I was floored at just how useful she is! I didn't even think twice about firing it up before updating since Siri was uninspiring (haven't had the pleasure of using Google Now, so nothing to compare for me there). Cortana rocks!

(I'm gonna cheat and say my runner-up feature is transparent tiles. I never thought of using tile-skinning apps in WP8.0, but now I'm having a blast w/ it in 8.1!).

So, let us know what your favorite expected and Unexpected features are!!

Lost_Cosmonaut

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Top expected: Notification Center. Even Apple had this two years ago.

Top unexpected: iCloud sync capability. As someone still vested in the iUniverse, this was a very welcome find. Now if only Windows 8.1 would let me sync calendars with iCloud.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Top expected, swipe typing. It really does speed things up, I've never used it before!

Top unexpected, the way embedded video now plays within the browser itself. Double tap and it opens full screen. Didn't really expect that but nice.

Of course Cortana is cool but there are alot of small usability tweaks that make big differences!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss