Do you recommend the 8.1 Preview?

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Was wondering how many WPC members recommend the update to 8.1? Are there alot if any bugs? And does it void your warranty?
Using a 521.

josemedina1983

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
the update was pretty easy to install just sign up for a developer account download the app in your phone and it will update automatically. I would recommend having enough space and battery before you update. I found some bugs but nothing really major but if your using the 521 as a primary device I would rather wait. I really dont think it voids your warranty since your not hacking or rooting or installing custom roms.

frankelweeze

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I installed it as an upgrade from WP8 with developer account and ran into so many bugs that the phone was crashing.
So I hard reset the phone after to enuring all my photos and txt msgs were backed up.
After I restored, the phone and WP8.1 have worked extremely well. The restore after hard reset will try to install all your apps and that's when you learn how many apps are not compatible.

So I would recommend with all the instructions running around this site and elsewhere (dev account, etc) ONLY if you backup and hard reset (wipe) your phone. Otherwise prepare for bug city and headaches galore. *for those who haven't hard reset, I HIGHLY recommend it to reinstall 8.1 because you get to experience the OS as it's supposed to be and not bugged out and battery draining like an upgrade.

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Quite a few people have been having problems after hard resetting as well.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it to someone whose phone isn't a Nokia Lumia or any other phone that's capable of going back to 8.0.

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
So should I back up all my stuff first if I decide to install 8.1? I have never hard reset before how would I back up everything all at once? from what ive read it is highly recommended to hard reset after upgrading...wonder why it was made like that.
I installed it as an upgrade from WP8 with developer account and ran into so many bugs that the phone was crashing.
So I hard reset the phone after to enuring all my photos and txt msgs were backed up.
After I restored, the phone and WP8.1 have worked extremely well. The restore after hard reset will try to install all your apps and that's when you learn how many apps are not compatible.

So I would recommend with all the instructions running around this site and elsewhere (dev account, etc) ONLY if you backup and hard reset (wipe) your phone. Otherwise prepare for bug city and headaches galore. *for those who haven't hard reset, I HIGHLY recommend it to reinstall 8.1 because you get to experience the OS as it's supposed to be and not bugged out and battery draining like an upgrade.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Got my friend's HTC 8S on 8.1. The installation took forever, but I've never seen him this happy with his phone. Safe to say he went into a downloading spree after you could install apps to your sd card. Battery seems really strong, too. Other friend's 620 isn't doing so great though in my eyes, higher battery drain but he's really happy anyway because his phone constantly crashed and needed to be hard-resetted. And that is a thing of the past since 8.1.

so yeah, I definitely recommend it.

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 521 how is it handling it?
Mine's a 525, and I'm generally liking it, though it's noticably a little sluggish compared to the fluidity of 8.0. Some people say a hard reset may fix this, but I have too many games that will have their saves wiped if I do that, so that's not an option for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs