What is the danger/downside of creating a dev account and downloading WP8.1?

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I am super-excited to get WP8.1, but am wondering, will there be any repercussions whatsoever down the line should I get a dev account (I am no dev).

Also, downloading the update itself...is it dangerous? Would it conflict with OS updates from Nokia? Is getting this update from MSFT as good as getting it from Nokia?

Thanks!

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
No clonflicting with any future updates from Nokia?
None. You'll still receive all OEM specific firmware updates when they become available for your device on your carrier. It's simple: just a normal OTA update when it's made available, nothing special. So yes, you'll receive Nokia Cyan and all firmware updates thereafter (assuming your carrier plays nice, that is).

Also, is there a quick breakdown of all the changes with WP8.1 (as well as there built-in apps)?
Windows Phone 8.1 Features | Windows Phone Central

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I did all the required. Downloaded an update. Surprisingly, it downloaded in 10 seconds. Then took 10 minutes to install completely. Turns out, NOTHING!

Now I check for updates and there are none.

Any idea what the issue may be?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
There is pre-update to 8.1. Your phone needs to download this smaller update to prepare itself for 8.1. It's basically a buffer type update.

Just keep checking for updates, and you should see one available, and then can go on to install 8.1.

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
How long is the actual update?

After the first update, I had to power off myself and turn on again to get another update. This one also finished downloading in 5 seconds. Can't be WP8.1. What's the issue?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
If you just now enrolled in the Developer Preview, it's possible you missed yet another small update that was released in December. While some carriers rolled it out for some devices, it was mostly ignored, and mostly only adopted by users running the Developer Preview. As such, it's likely that:

Small OS update released back in December, mostly only received by those enrolled in the Developer Preview > Small buffer update for 8.1 (what you're seeing now) > Then finally, you should be able to download and install 8.1. Hang in there, 8.1 is well worth it.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
No problem. It'll likely take somewhere between 30-60min for everything to finish, but trust me: it's well worth the wait!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6