Project my screen

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, my name is fahmi bassem, I have Lumia 720 runs 8.1.
I want to ask.. how can I project my screen?
and can use this on any TV?
THANK YOU

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, there are many threads that have already answered this question.

But I'll be nice and answer them again.

1 - only newer hardware (1520/930/Icon etc) will be able to project screen via WiFi
2 - Via USB needs an app for it to work on the PC that hasn't been released yet
3 - both need a firmware update

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
This feature is really a dud at the moment. Project My Screen works via Miracast, and will require OEM firmware updates to function properly. So Lumia users won't be seeing it until at least Nokia Cyan.

Also, Joe Belfiore warned that most current generation hardware wouldn't be compatible, and that the 1520, Icon and Ativ SE /might/ have it enabled. This is puzzling, as the chipset running on all Lumia models is indeed Miracast compatible on Android models using the same chips. Yes, Nokia would have to update the firmware to enable the feature, but it /should/ be compatible. The likely explanations are that either Lumias are using custom chips that aren't compatible with Miracast, more likely that Windows Phone simply can't handle Miracast on these chips (for whatever reason), or most likely: Belfiore is just mistaken.

We'll likely find out when Nokia Cyan comes out. But we won't see Project My Screen be useful for quite sometime, until OEMs start pushing out the necessary firmware to enable it.

As for a USB connection: this will require a application download from Microsoft. It will run on Windows 7 or Windows 8.X, and this software will be required to mirror your device via USB connection.

3 - both need a firmware update

Project via USB is an OS feature, and so it likely won't require new firmware. It will however, require the new application that Microsoft will make available for download in the coming months.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
This feature is really a dud at the moment. Project My Screen works via Miracast, and will require OEM firmware updates to function properly. So Lumia users won't be seeing it until at least Nokia Cyan.

Also, Joe Belfiore warned that most current generation hardware wouldn't be compatible, and that the 1520, Icon and Ativ SE /might/ have it enabled. This is puzzling, as the chipset running on all Lumia models is indeed Miracast compatible on Android models using the same chips. Yes, Nokia would have to update the firmware to enable the feature, but it /should/ be compatible. The likely explanations are that either Lumias are using custom chips that aren't compatible with Miracast, more likely that Windows Phone simply can't handle Miracast on these chips (for whatever reason), or most likely: Belfiore is just mistaken.

We'll likely find out when Nokia Cyan comes out. But we won't see Project My Screen be useful for quite sometime, until OEMs start pushing out the necessary firmware to enable it.

As for a USB connection: this will require a application download from Microsoft. It will run on Windows 7 or Windows 8.X, and this software will be required to mirror your device via USB connection.

Project via USB is an OS feature, and so it likely won't require new firmware. It will however, require the new application that Microsoft will make available for download in the coming months.

Nokia/Microsoft will need some do some explanation as to why all the existing models except 1520 will not be supported, especially that the hardware on most of them would supports Miracast on an Android Device. Example, I have the 925 and from what I read, had the hardware been on Android, it would support Miracast.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Nokia/Microsoft will need some do some explanation as to why all the existing models except 1520 will not be supported, especially that the hardware on most of them would supports Miracast on an Android Device. Example, I have the 925 and from what I read, had the hardware been on Android, it would support Miracast.

That is indeed the source of confusion, and leads many to believe that Belfiore simply doesn't fully grasp how Miracast works. I'd trust Nokia to enable it via firmware update. I'd be genuinely shocked if they didn't, and as you say: would want go explanation for why the hell not.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I'd say with near certainty that it's not going to be worth the effort for Nokia for their old devices. There's a new driver model in WP 8.1 that I would guess is needed for this feature. It just doesn't make sense for the entire driver stack for dated hardware to be entirely rewritten for that.

xelaio

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Correct! Same for Lumia 920, Miracast must be in operation. Respect Microsoft please!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos