hi,been having the same battery drains as a lot of you on my lumia 920 and have been switching things off as suggested but PROJECT MY SCREEN in the setting menu is always SEARCHING,anyone else having the same problems?
    By the way i love this new update and its a big step forward in my eyes and my 18 month lumia 920 feels like a new phone
    04-17-2014 10:21 AM
    This feature is really a dud at the moment. Project My Screen works via Miracast, and will require OEM firmware updates to function properly. So Lumia users won't be seeing it until at least Nokia Cyan.

Also, Joe Belfiore warned that most current generation hardware wouldn't be compatible, and that the 1520, Icon and Ativ SE /might/ have it enabled. This is puzzling, as the chipset running on all Lumia models is indeed Miracast compatible on Android models using the same chips. Yes, Nokia would have to update the firmware to enable the feature, but it /should/ be compatible. The likely explanations are that either Lumias are using custom chips that aren't compatible with Miracast, more likely that Windows Phone simply can't handle Miracast on these chips (for whatever reason), or most likely: Belfiore is just mistaken.

We'll likely find out when Nokia Cyan comes out. But we won't see Project My Screen be useful for quite sometime, until OEMs start pushing out the necessary firmware to enable it.

As for a USB connection: this will require a application download from Microsoft. It will run on Windows 7 or Windows 8.X, and this software will be required to mirror your device via USB connection.
    04-17-2014 10:26 AM
    I really wish people would learn to search before posting. I've answered this question about four times in the last 2 days.

1 - only new hardware will be able to use WiFi project to screen. (1520/930/Icon etc..)
    2 - USB requires an app which hasn't been released yet
    3 - both require a firmware update which hasn't been released.
    04-17-2014 10:26 AM
    I really wish people would learn to search before posting. I've answered this question about four times in the last 2 days.

1 - only new hardware will be able to use WiFi project to screen. (1520/930/Icon etc..)
    2 - USB requires an app which hasn't been released yet
    Didnt see any other topics or post on this subject but thanks for your reply as i did think of an update was needed but was seeking more advice on the matter and if this searching would add to the battery drain
    04-17-2014 10:40 AM
    I don't think a firmware update will be required to enable this feature, as it's already part of the OS and being handle solely by the OS and the Microsoft application (once it's released). Of course Miracast support will need a firmware update, because it needs to be activated at a chipset level, which the OEMs handle.
    04-17-2014 10:47 AM
    If you're going anything with the usb that will require a firmware update unless its already done.
    04-17-2014 11:12 AM
    If you open the proyect my screen setting, it will search, it is obvious, you are "opening" the app (the settings are special apps) and the app start to search because you are using it.
    04-17-2014 11:21 AM
    Don't see why "anything" using the USB needs a firmware update... Nokia doesn't have to do everything, y'know.
    04-17-2014 11:22 AM
    I could be wrong here. Firmware controls hardware does it not? The updates drivers for hardware are in firmware therefore a firmware update is required for any new functions unless the update has happened. Am I wrong?
    04-17-2014 11:28 AM
    Indeed, for most things hardware related, firmware updates are indeed required. This is why Miracast will require a firmware update to be enabled on any devices (assuming they're compatible, which is questionable at the moment). However, mirroring over USB is an OS thing. The OS simply sends a display single mirroring what's currently being displayed.

Notice that Microsoft has been internally using it for demonstrations for years (they even joked about this when unveiling the feature in their keynote, saying that people have noticed and have been clamoring for it for years). Microsoft almost always uses Nokia devices for demonstrations, although sometimes HTC devices. I seriously doubt they had firmware custom built for this purpose, so I'm led to believe it's an OS feature they've been using internally for years, and are finally opening up to public use. When they release the required software, that is.
    04-17-2014 11:35 AM