Voice Activation of Cortana

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No, you can do so at any time by tap/hold the search button or by using the mic button on the search page. Also, if you're referring to having her read incoming texts to you, that can be changed in the speech settings.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if you can activate Cortana by just speaking to the phone to "wake her up". Or do you have to click the microphone button each time to get her in listening mode ?

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if you can activate Cortana by just speaking to the phone to "wake her up". Or do you have to click the microphone button each time to get her in listening mode ?

You need to hold the search key to directly start voice with cortana.

So no You cannot just say to your phone "cortana wake up" because that would drain battery life

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So no You cannot just say to your phone "cortana wake up" because that would drain battery life

New hardware can help with that part. My Nexus 5 listens all the time without drain much battery (I believe the latest iPhone is the same). Not sure if MS put this into WP8.1 yet with the new hardware support.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Would be great if this could be implemented. It's not like "Cortana" is a word I would ever say outside of this context, so it would be pretty safe I think. :)

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Until we have a new phone built with new chips that support this kind of always-on mic, we won't know. It's not about safe word or not, it is about battery life on existing hardware.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Personally, after one of my coworkers got a Galaxy S5, I'm pretty tired of hearing, "Ok, Google..." It's rather annoying. I'd rather just tap the button, so if they add this, I hope they put in a way of turning it off.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I noticed when connected to Bluetooth in my car that when I activate her mic, it really doesn't activate until I start talking, then I hear her audible sound that means she's listening. Then she has a hard time understanding me.

Anyone else have any issue with her connected to BT?

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I have the same issue. It takes a few seconds for her to actually start listening, after the beep. Which makes it a time consuming process, I think. But I was really looking forward to the always listening mode. I found the tell me very useful too, but I hate holding the button for a few seconds to activate it. I was hoping Cortana would since this issue. I remember reading it somewhere that Microsoft is working on that.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, for best results you need to wait for the listening confirmation tone. I have the same delay when BT connected in my car.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I noticed when connected to Bluetooth in my car that when I activate her mic, it really doesn't activate until I start talking, then I hear her audible sound that means she's listening. Then she has a hard time understanding me.

Anyone else have any issue with her connected to BT?

Same here with the BT in the car. It was the same with WP8 "Tell me" functionality for me.

Ernesto Escobar

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I was wondering the same. Why I can wake her up with voice?
I can do that with almost all android devices: OK GOOGLE for Nexus, LG, etc and HI GALAXY! for all Samsung family.
Cortana, Why you are deaf ? :crying:

Jennifer Beckner

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
No, you can do so at any time by tap/hold the search button or by using the mic button on the search page. Also, if you're referring to having her read incoming texts to you, that can be changed in the speech settings.

I'm so new to all this can you tell me where to find the speech settings? Because if this is how this app works without any talk back then I don't see the point.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm so new to all this can you tell me where to find the speech settings? Because if this is how this app works without any talk back then I don't see the point.

Open the Cortana app and click the gear. In those settings look for "hey Cortana" and turn it on. There are 2 options to respond to all or train her to just your voice.

Hey Cortana only works on newer phone models with the 800 and higher processors I believe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte