how hard reset will effect the applications installed on the SDcard

sachin hegde

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Acha, how? Are they unusable?

If u select yes while resting ur phone "do you want to reset added too" so select no..and ur SD card will not format

i don't get what you are saying but there will be a prompt before you reset asking you to confirm if you want to format SDcard' along with the phone. that's all there is to it and when you 1st try to install any app the wp would like to remove all the app installed previously in the SDcard

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Makes sense. Microsoft promised that using SD cards would be secure, and we already knew that apps installed to an SD card would be usable on one device. Hence when you reset, even if you don't format the SD card: the game save data will remain, but the OS will treat the SD card as belonging to another device, and therefore not permit its use.

As such, unless you've got some advanced decryption methods available: loosing app + game data is a given when performing a hard reset. That is, at least, until OneDrive app + game backup starts becoming more widespread.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for bumping a rather old thread, but I think it's better than creating a new one on basically the same topic. :)

I've just sent my Lumia 1520 in to get its cracked screen replaced. From my experiences no matter what needs to be replaced/fixed, those guys always perform a hardreset beforehand. Which of course means that I'm going to lose all my app and game data.
I've read through this thread and understand that the OS won't let you use apps (and more importantly app data) stored on your SD card after a hardreset.

But what about this approach:

- access the hidden system folder on the SD card, that contains all installed apps/games and their data (how to do that is described somewhere here on the forums)
- backup its content
- perform the hardreset and let the OS format the SD card
- let WP download all apps that have previously been installed again (make sure they're stored on the SD card, just like before)
- access the hidden system folder again and replace its content with that previously backed up

It's not unlikely that this isn't going to work, as I understand that WP may notice differences between the certification information stored along each app and the value that has been stored in the registry. No idea, since I don't exactly know how WP handles these things. If it's not gonna work, it could possibly work if not the entire content from the hidden system folder is restored, but only the app data. Kinda time consuming, but well worth it. If it works, that is. :)

What do you guys think? Possible or not?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck