how hard reset will effect the applications installed on the SDcard

sachin hegde

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
most of us here will bump into this problem sooner or later. i have installed wp8.1 and enjoying it so far, i have most of my apps, games installed in SDcard. due to some problems i have to do a hard reset off my mobile..
i wanted to know what is the effect of hard reset on those apps which are installed on my SDcard. do i need to reinstall them or they can be used without any problems and along with there app data.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Due to how WP8.1 handles SD cards, and only lets SD cards be used on one phone, it will likely require you to format the SD card after a hard reset, effectively loosing everything.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I would think otherwise one of these options but, cant say for sure (If your going to hard reset, try it to see what happens)
1. As above, might have to format card, or WP would remove the folder when you tried to install a new app after hardreseting it
2. The apps might stay but, you would have to reinstall them...
3. They might be there but, be dead, just like if you Reinstalled Windows on your PC but, all your apps were on another drive, you woudl need to reinstall them to the same folder to get them working again or create shortcuts (you cant do that in WP)...

sachin hegde

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Due to how WP8.1 handles SD cards, and only lets SD cards be used on one phone, it will likely require you to format the SD card after a hard reset, effectively loosing everything.
i don't think it will format whole SDcard as there are other data along with the app which are installed. and i will use same mobile+ SDcard combination so not sure how wp 8.1 deal with that, it may recognize it's own app on SDcard or it may not, these are the two basic possibilities.

sachin hegde

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I would think otherwise one of these options but, cant say for sure (If your going to hard reset, try it to see what happens)
1. As above, might have to format card, or WP would remove the folder when you tried to install a new app after hardreseting it
2. The apps might stay but, you would have to reinstall them...
3. They might be there but, be dead, just like if you Reinstalled Windows on your PC but, all your apps were on another drive, you woudl need to reinstall them to the same folder to get them working again or create shortcuts (you cant do that in WP)...
along with these there is one more likely possibility that WP8.1 will delete(or prompt user to delete) all the app already installed in the SDcard before installing a new one

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I did hard reset after I installed wp 8.1
all apps installed in SD won't delete but you can't use it either, so it will still there until you ask wp 8.1 to install app in your SDcard. WP 8.1 will confirm you that there are apps in your SDcard and if you want install new apps you need to delete it.
Of course wp 8.1 will delete it automatically and you can install new apps in your SDcard. So your apps before hard reset will deleted and you must reinstall your apps.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I did hard reset after I installed wp 8.1
all apps installed in SD won't delete but you can't use it either, so it will still there until you ask wp 8.1 to install app in your SDcard. WP 8.1 will confirm you that there are apps in your SDcard and if you want install new apps you need to delete it.
Of course wp 8.1 will delete it automatically and you can install new apps in your SDcard. So your apps before hard reset will deleted and you must reinstall your apps.

If you reinstall, does it keep your game saves ?

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, I was planning to create a query thread but search option saved my time.
Op I request to share the whatever you did, it will help me or people like me.
Thanks

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The more I think about this the more I am convinced that if i ever get a phone with SD card support (L920 right now) I would definitely only use the SD card for music, pictures, documents, things of that nature.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Would it be possible to copy the SD Card contents to your PC and then move it back once you do the hard reset. I suspect you will be forced to format the SD card as part of the hard reset. Whether the material will show once you move it back to the SD card is another question.

Someone that is forced to do a hard reset might give this a try and see what happens. Better we know from one or a small few if it works as opposed to learning from many that it doesn't work.

sachin hegde

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Would it be possible to copy the SD Card contents to your PC and then move it back once you do the hard reset. I suspect you will be forced to format the SD card as part of the hard reset. Whether the material will show once you move it back to the SD card is another question.

Someone that is forced to do a hard reset might give this a try and see what happens. Better we know from one or a small few if it works as opposed to learning from many that it doesn't work.

formatting SDcard is optional in hard reset. all the data including app data will be there in SDcard but as you reset the mobile the application certification will be removed hence the apps cannot be used

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
formatting SDcard is optional in hard reset. all the data including app data will be there in SDcard but as you reset the mobile the application certification will be removed hence the apps cannot be used

How about non-app data? Will Music/pics.docs/etc. be available normally?

lsmachado

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
So, if I have to hard reset, is it best NOT to remove the SD card first? Should I just leave it in the phone during the hard reset?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo