Backup always fails

JediTWang

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't see any issue, but where does one manually initiate a back-up for everything?
It seems possible to do it within "apps+settings", but not in "text messages" or "photos+videos".
Unless that manual back-up in "apps+settings" is the manual back-up for everything?

*UPDATE*
Okay so it's remaining paused @96% for me too, but only for "apps+settings" (unless that section backs-up everything?)
Well that's lame, hopefully automatic back-ups aren't routinely failing & it's only related to manual back-ups!?

*UPDATE*2
Okay it seems like it may've completed successfully, still, it's a bit "laggy", hopefully it's improved.
How do we verify that it has backed-up 100% correctly?

Last edited:

JediTWang

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
"That backup screen tells you when the last backup was done. Mine is telling me two weeks ago :p "

Hmm, that's a little too infrequent. More importantly, how do we verify a 100% successful bu?
Do we do that by doing a factory/hard-reset, restoring the bu, & then checking that everything's as we recall?
Surely there's a better approach than that...

Last edited:

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Ugh. Mine fails too at 96%. Crap. I have to change phones too. My mic is not working properly (or the noise blocking part) as people can't hear me unless I blow in the top noise blocking sensor. Speaker and bluetooth work fine.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Got a replacement phone. I did not restore from backup, and this new phone, on 8.1, also hangs at 96%. I guess backup is not working properly on 8.1 preview.

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
A user named SwimSwim had been getting this issue as well, and recommended deleting the backup that was stored and manually backup up. I deleted my backup, started a manual synch, but got the same error message. However, I saw on the "manage backups" page that the same amount of space that had been used before on OneDrive was again there. I turned my WiFi back on (I had been keeping it off due to the WiFi-reboot issue many have been experiencing), tried a manual backup, and it went through! "Last backed up 5 minutes ago"

Now this isn't anything certain, so don't delete your backup unless you're sure you want to try this, but it did work for me. Thank you SwimSwim!

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
A user named SwimSwim had been getting this issue as well, and recommended deleting the backup that was stored and manually backup up. I deleted my backup, started a manual synch, but got the same error message. However, I saw on the "manage backups" page that the same amount of space that had been used before on OneDrive was again there. I turned my WiFi back on (I had been keeping it off due to the WiFi-reboot issue many have been experiencing), tried a manual backup, and it went through! "Last backed up 5 minutes ago"

Now this isn't anything certain, so don't delete your backup unless you're sure you want to try this, but it did work for me. Thank you SwimSwim!

I did this right away after reading the comments on WPCentral's WP8.1 backup article and it did fix my phone's backup problem! Finally!

Jeffrey McLean

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem where it would get to the 96% and then fail. I tried changing the lock screen image, but that didn't work. I then deleted the backup and was able to do a manual backup. I then tried a manual backup a second time, and it also worked. Both times it paused for a while at the 96%.

bigbmc26

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Bumping this thread to see if anyone else has continued to experience this problem, or if anyone has found a solution. My phone is still telling me that I haven't backed up since last Monday. My backup process will get to 100% before giving me the "There was a problem backing up your settings" error message.

​I'm still having this problem

Edit: deleting the existing backup worked for me...

Last edited:

commo

Dec 3, 2004
Visit site
Had the same issue. I turned off backups, deleted the backups, rebooted and manually backed it up. It worked for me. Make sure your connected to Wi-Fi.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 822- I tried everything. Deleted start screen picture, changed lock screesn pic to a basic low rez pic, deleted backup through the phone, manually deleted backups by logging into Onedrive on my PC, and rebooted phone. It always fails at 96%. I am having issues with my music and wanted to do a hard reset and wont do right now I guess. Any other suggestions? I am wondering is it is an app that is causing it to crash- maybe an older app that is not compatible with the backup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss