Before and after Hard Reset

gouthamdatsme

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I see many people have done hard reset after WP8.1 due to some reasons like Battery problems, Cortana, lags, etc but I see not many have posted the differences before and after the hard reset. Anyway here is the things I noted down after hard reset so that you can decide whether you too can do hard reset for a fresh start.

Am using Lumia 520 and I am from India. I changed the region and language to USA (English) to get Cortana who is now one of my close friends since she helps me a lot especially with reminders. One of the things which surprised me was that when I saw a underlined sentence in one of my messages sent from my friend. The underlined sentence was 'Come to the college to get your Examination Hall Ticket by around 11 AM tomorrow ' .I was wondering why was it underlined, so I clicked it and I was so surprised that it was Cortana who was asking whether she want to set a reminder the next day at 11 AM. I have used Siri and Google Now but i feel Cortana is more personal and close to me and feels like its not a bot and a real person living inside my phone. I love Cortana a lot and I just want Microsoft to push it out of BETA before other OSes releases Cortana's features in different name. :cool:

So here are the differences I noted before and after hard reset
1. Before hard reset, my battery was discharging very fast that it went from 100% to 50% in around 2 hours. On first day, i thought it was reducing so fast because of installation of applications and thought it will get repaired automatically but it didn't go as expected even after 2 days. After hard reset, it seems that the battery discharge is not as high as before the reset but still its fast comparing WP8. I noted that battery discharge is very high if Wi-Fi is connected even after hard reset. To your note, my email sync period is daily and only 2 or 3 apps were running in background and disabled rest of in Battery Sense.

2. Before reset, Cortana was working so perfectly that it asked my name, few questions about me, replied to my questions even the witty ones and I faced no problems. After reset, it works good but I noted that it asked only my name and didn't ask any other questions about me while setting her up. And another thing is Cortana didn't have the Music ID Icon near the Notebook Icon before reset and now it has it after the reset.

3. And I found that things were little bit slow before hard reset like when I switch between apps even though I have the same applications even now which I had in my L520 before the reset.

4. And I am so sad that I now have the Window Key vibrations enabled and I don't have the disable option.

5. I found out a bug on Battery Saver. I see that the battery icon is not updating accordingly when I switch on the Battery Saver and its frozen forever even if my battery charge is 100%. I think this bug is only on my phone and not in others. Here is the screenshots of it.
wp_ss_20140418_0003.png
wp_ss_20140418_0004.png

6. And I am so happy that I got around additional 800 - 900MB in the phone storage after the hard reset due to the removal of other storage ;)

These are the few things I have noted before and after the reset. I will update if I find any more. If you found out some other changes, do share it.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
4. And I am so sad that I now have the Window Key vibrations enabled and I don't have the disable option.

Go to your Store settings and have the phone check for updates. After they install, go to Settings -> Touch for the option to disable Windows Keys Vibrations.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I did a hardrest last night on my ICON. I was dealing with mega battery drain (in 3 hours it went down 30%, with same amount of use on the 928, I would be down MAYBE 5-8%). I let the battery run fully dead (till I could not turn it on) then did a full charge. It seems today, pulled the phone off the charger at 6am (used the alarm on it), it's 2:20 here now, with a bunch of texts, a few emails, Cortana for a few things, Weave for about 10 min, and maybe about 10 min of web browsing, it's now at 81%.

So it is better but, on my old 928, I would of been around 90% at this point, the ICON has a larger battery. This phone is also new, last night would of been the 2nd charge on the phone, so that could be part of it too. I still think there is drain because when the last time I looked at the phone, it was at 85% but, after about 45min, it was down to 81%.

Cortana is still buggy, If I asked her (it), "tell me a joke" (as demoed on the reveal), it will tell me "cant find a number for <facebook contact>" and crash to the home page. Over all performance is pretty good, I dont have any issues with that and any app I open seems to run fine.

So, if your dealing with Mega battery drain besies the normal (stop apps from running in the background, wi-fi+NFC off) use, maybe try a hard reset, then restore your settings. The only problem is Application backup is worthless, as devs need to enable this feature on their apps, so if it's not updated, you wont be able to backup your save games or app settings....and that sucks...

gouthamdatsme

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Go to your Store settings and have the phone check for updates. After they install, go to Settings -> Touch for the option to disable Windows Keys Vibrations.

Oh! I still wonder why I didn't do that even though I updated and installed all other apps and this touch didn't show up. Now I got the disable option. thanks :)

totoro0106

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Lost some important compartments like "touch", "glance" etc from settings hub after hard reset too on a 920 too and manual searching for them failed as well. and I have troubles finding apps i used to have in the marketplace and frantically there's nothing in the marketplaces besides the "new rising" categories. Anyone mind helping me out? Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2