Anyone else out there who prefers solid tile colours rather than start backgrounds?

Pranjal Rai

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I don't mean to sound like, an anti Windows phone person, but is there anyone else who doesn't find the idea of start backgrounds "fitting" to the nature of the OS. It's just that after using the start background for a couple of days and then reverting back to the solid colours made me feel at home. Sorry if it offended anyone's feelings, I'm just trying to express my views here.

P.S. Can somebody give me an example of any cool start screen backgrounds, like the one that shows up in the still of the new Lumia 630. It's quite attractive.

Bram Vanroy

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I actually just use the background image that I use on my PC. I like to have a continuity on my devices.

At the moment, this is my background image (Copyright may apply.)
flying-tree.jpg

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Overall, I like the new start background, but some tiles I prefer to be solid. Ideally, every app should give the user the choice between adopting the accent colour (including transparency) or a solid tile in line with the app's theme and branding.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Even "solid" color backgrounds can be fun and add pizzazz without going overboard with the customization. Take a look at some screenshots I did (source images used included except the default ones that come with the OS).

Home Screens - Imgur

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
After trying various backgrounds and color combos I seem to get more satisfying results using different gradients of various colors. Which of course is a background image in itself. But this way I get various tile colors that subtly change across the screen. So it looks like I'm not using a background image, but just have tiles of varying color. Options and choices are nice tho and its fun getting away from the old boring tile colors.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I find myself going back and forth with different backgrounds. Sometimes an image, sometimes solid colors, sometimes gradients. I think what's important, is that we now have those options. You can choose whichever suits your tastes or you can change regularly, like myself, when you're ready for a new look.

anon(5816156)

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
For solid color, I usually make my own color (Dark grey). Sometimes I like gradient (crimson /cobalt with blue)

But for now, I use my own photo. A photo that was completely out of focus. Looks pretty good on my eyes but could be just me though.

Pranjal Rai

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Options are what matter the most. We can go either way, isn't, it. But having said that, don't the start bgs look a little bit "android-y"?? Anyone??

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Solid color but experimenting with different background images. I hate that they screwed up the cobalt accent though. Looks too purple now.

HM02

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
When they first started showing previews of the start background feature, they'd always use some gaudy, complex image as the BG, which made the start screen look awful.
Then I messed around with very minimal and simple color/design backgrounds and I actually kinda like it now.

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I tried some background images, but just went back to flat colored tiles, easier to read and less busy especially with the 3 column setting on the 920.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Options are what matter the most. We can go either way, isn't, it. But having said that, don't the start bgs look a little bit "android-y"?? Anyone??

I don't see how a background picture could make anything seem "android-y" because any popular mobile OS has backgrounds. Maybe "android-y" in terms of the Nokia X, since that's technically Android, but I don't think they got an update to enable the use of background pictures.

Pranjal Rai

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't see how a background picture could make anything seem "android-y" because any popular mobile OS has backgrounds. Maybe "android-y" in terms of the Nokia X, since that's technically Android, but I don't think they got an update to enable the use of background pictures.

Totally, but the last thing we need to bring wp closer to Android is "Live start screen bgs" ...... Yuuuukkk 😠😒

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077