Why are so many of you talking badly against WP8.1?

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
Music update is supposed to be out this week sometime.

I don't get the complains about the picture app. It was pretty before but just added an extra step to access any photos.

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm referring to the phrase "RTM candidate". But I really can't be bothed with this discussion any more. Let's wait and see whether the final release via manufacturers is identical and contains all the same bugs.

RC acronym of Release Candidate is the RTM candidate in Software Development Life Cycle. RTM is the final stage of the product development. This preview is the final version of WP8.1 development. The "final version" you've been saying is by other companies like Nokia and possibly Microsoft would release some updates like bug fixes.

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Either you are not a techy or you are just a kid. Wrong info? Nothing said is wrong. Dev Preview VS Real Deal has been explained in plain words. English.

Read deal is an OS update, tweaked by manufacturers or modified or bulked upon by firmware update. If you want to come along and show me a list of sites that have reviewed "Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview" to highlight features of "Windows Phone 8.1 OS" sure do. But that still doesn't equate to real deal. The real update for general public is an OS+Firmware. RTM - doesn't equate to final version. The full form for RTM is released to manufacturers/for manufacturing. That means the software is ready as it is on Microsoft front. But unless firmware update is bundled by specific OEMs, that OS won't run on hardwares without bugs. Now go and look at stickies on the forum. These stickies have been read post by post by moderating team here and have been evaluated for FREE (yeah, we don't earn money here) for the benefit of community to make it simpler to understand what bugs are in OS, what bugs are firmware related.

So no "official release" is not carrier official release. It is the release from OEMs to carriers then to manufacturers. The work completes when manufacturers, test it, tweak it, make and add new drivers, firmware for each and every hardware running the OS and then it goes to carrier so that they can add their share of radio tweakings to make it compatible with their network and then goes to you, me and everyone else.

Probably, learn to hate less, learn more.

No I am not hating, I just don't like it when mods like you are spreading false information by saying that this preview release is not the real deal.

From WP8.1 point of view alone, this preview is its real deal. Nokia's "official update" with its update is another story. What Nokia firmware do you need to fix WP8.1 specific issues? Can Nokia fix issues with Internet Explorer loading mobile sites instead of desktop version when desktop site is enabled? No, Nokia has no access to its source code even if Nokia is already owned by Microsoft. Can Nokia fix battery issues with WP8.1 if it's caused by Microsoft softwares? Again no, because Nokia does not have access to WP source codes. Can Nokia firmware fix hubs issues, Surprise the answer is No again.

The Nokia firmware can only address Nokia specific hardwares (i.e. camera) and softwares. The way WP OEM customization works is direct opposite from Android. In Android, Samsung has access to its source code that's why they can customize Android to whatever they want. And that's why Samsung phone users have to wait for Samsung to release their updated version of KitKat because you won't be able to directly perform an update to the OS without breaking the touchwiz.

With WP, Nokia has access only to WP APIs which I pretty much assume that it is backwards compatible. Nokia customization sits on top of WP. This and backwards compatibility are the very reason why we can update to the preview release without breaking Nokia's customization.

Moreover, there won't be any public review by well know tech sites if they are reviewing a non-officially-released product. They would definitely break some NDA if they did.

If you want to come along and show me a list of sites that have reviewed "Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview" to highlight features of "Windows Phone 8.1 OS" sure do.

I don't need to do this because MS markets this release as a preview. I bet WPCentral won't review WP8.1 again if Nokia would release Lumia Cyan. I bet it's going to be a Lumia Cyan review (or Lumia 63x) with some higlights of MS updates since the preview.

crazy elf

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Coming from android use for years I know first hand what I thought about WP. Couldn't stand it at first. Didn't understand it and the lack of cut and paste and attachments in email took me back. I've watched it grow into what it is now 8.1 and honestly I'm not really sure what all this is about, the complaining part, it's a preview, (although it's a finished product) once the phone manufacturer and carrier enhancements are added I believe it will be the best OS system out. I have one phone from every OS out including an early tizen build ( friend in Tokyo).. There is so much room for polishing and believe me it will come. Some think that Microsoft sold out and stepped backward maybe so, maybe so, but most of the majority of great things take take steps backward. I honestly don't believe Microsoft is looking to produce cookie cutter pipe-line devices, they are looking to make a statement and a difference. You can't please everyone, and with this update, as with all new OS updates it'll settle in, get it's updates to address the flaws and it'll be what we expect from Microsoft. I don't chime in very often, but rather hang out in the background, watching, learning 🏫, listening and sometimes responding. I live the new additions, dislike what they've done to the music app/ system but it's a standalone app now so it's open to just about anything. I love the new notification center and the flow typing, just to name a few but 8.1 runs just about flawless on my Att 1520. I'm happy and once the Lumia cyan update is released with carrier enhancements it'll probably be the best phone I've ever had. And trust me I've had and still have some of the best of the other ones. ( LG g2 galaxy s4 iPhone 5 and BlackBerry z10). There is a new app out that allows you to report right to Microsoft the bugs and flaws. Use it. It'll help all concerned.

Sent from my big red Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No I am not hating, I just don't like it when mods like you are spreading false information by saying that this preview release is not the real deal.

From WP8.1 point of view alone, this preview is its real deal. Nokia's "official update" with its update is another story. What Nokia firmware do you need to fix WP8.1 specific issues? Can Nokia fix issues with Internet Explorer loading mobile sites instead of desktop version when desktop site is enabled? No, Nokia has no access to its source code even if Nokia is already owned by Microsoft. Can Nokia fix battery issues with WP8.1 if it's caused by Microsoft softwares? Again no, because Nokia does not have access to WP source codes. Can Nokia firmware fix hubs issues, Surprise the answer is No again.

The Nokia firmware can only address Nokia specific hardwares (i.e. camera) and softwares. The way WP OEM customization works is direct opposite from Android. In Android, Samsung has access to its source code that's why they can customize Android to whatever they want. And that's why Samsung phone users have to wait for Samsung to release their updated version of KitKat because you won't be able to directly perform an update to the OS without breaking the touchwiz.

With WP, Nokia has access only to WP APIs which I pretty much assume that it is backwards compatible. Nokia customization sits on top of WP. This and backwards compatibility are the very reason why we can update to the preview release without breaking Nokia's customization.

Moreover, there won't be any public review by well know tech sites if they are reviewing a non-officially-released product. They would definitely break some NDA if they did.

I don't need to do this because MS markets this release as a preview. I bet WPCentral won't review WP8.1 again if Nokia would release Lumia Cyan. I bet it's going to be a Lumia Cyan review (or Lumia 63x) with some higlights of MS updates since the preview.

IE issues - its a known bug and Microsoft WILL patch it before it goes out as a general release.
Battery - yes firmware will fix this, nothing to do with Microsoft, your hardware isn't optimised and that's why it drains battery.
Hub issues? - Other than Music hub - there are no "issues". There is a change in design and you need to learn to live with it.

If you are really talking about how OS "looks" have changed - it is for the better. I am happy the way hubs are there, but not there. I am happy the way hub apps install and update more frequently. If that is what you are unhappy about, I guess no update will fix it and you shouldn't install a preview.

Again - WPCentral and other tech sites, have reviewed Windows Phone 8.1 Preview. There won't be any significant change i.e. feature addition or feature removal. The previews are feature locked. The only change that it may come with will be patches and bug fixes. Trust me, when that rolls out you will read on WPCentral about what the general release has fixed. Only a fool will do a full blown review again when the general release is made, when it only fixes tiny bugs. Stop living in a illusion where you always need to find someone to blame. Preview is a preview. You are not meant to have it bug free. Microsoft clearly outlines, that "critical bugs" will be patched after preview - so you should even expect critical ones. Thankfully we only have non-critical here.

To simplify:
The real deal = whatever will be on Lumia 635 on launch day. That will be what we have right now minus bugs related to OS plus Nokia firmware on it. THAT is final. What a consumer gets in his hands.

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
IE issues - its a known bug and Microsoft WILL patch it before it goes out as a general release.

Yes hopefully the IE issues would be fixed but I am not expecting MS would change back the way tabs are arranged now where in the last open tab is the first on tabs list.

Battery - yes firmware will fix this, nothing to do with Microsoft, your hardware isn't optimised and that's why it drains battery.

This is the very reason why I posted in this thread. Your giving false information. What can Nokia do if the OS drains the battery more when wifi is enabled (Just found out in my case and my friends's Lumias that wifi on drains more battery in WP8.1). Tell me, what can Nokia do to improve it if it's caused by the OS? Firmware? Don't make me laugh. (Hey Nokia firmware would improve battery life when IE drains your battery).

Hub issues? - Other than Music hub - there are no "issues". There is a change in design and you need to learn to live with it.

If you are really talking about how OS "looks" have changed - it is for the better. I am happy the way hubs are there, but not there. I am happy the way hub apps install and update more frequently. If that is what you are unhappy about, I guess no update will fix it and you shouldn't install a preview.

Again - WPCentral and other tech sites, have reviewed Windows Phone 8.1 Preview. There won't be any significant change i.e. feature addition or feature removal. The previews are feature locked. The only change that it may come with will be patches and bug fixes. Trust me, when that rolls out you will read on WPCentral about what the general release has fixed. Only a fool will do a full blown review again when the general release is made, when it only fixes tiny bugs. Stop living in a illusion where you always need to find someone to blame. Preview is a preview. You are not meant to have it bug free. Microsoft clearly outlines, that "critical bugs" will be patched after preview - so you should even expect critical ones. Thankfully we only have non-critical here.

To simplify:
The real deal = whatever will be on Lumia 635 on launch day. That will be what we have right now minus bugs related to OS plus Nokia firmware on it. THAT is final. What a consumer gets in his hands.

I like WP8.1 period. I have influenced my friends to upgrade to wp8.1 at the cost of warranty (temporarily). This is going to be my last reply to you. Telling people that this preview is not the real deal is false. MS won't give you guys (WPCentral) an earlier copy as well as dozens of tech site if not for the "grand announcement" of WP8.1 release (yes the preview is the release, RTM and real deal believe it or not). Even if MS announce this is the release, software bugs are expected. There's no perfect and bug-free software as complex as an OS. Let's face it. Issues are issues. Don't make false hope that these things are going to be fixed with the Lumia Cyan update unless MS does it.

P.S. I don't hate the hubs nor dislike it. But let me tell you a bug in Game hub. Turn off your net and try to load the Game hub (use a 1020 or lower model). Ask yourself what the bug is and hopefully Microsoft would deliver a fix

:smile:

p.vivekkumar

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Chill guys.....no use of fighting unless Microsoft listens to you and work on that. What MS has added, what removed is completely MS right. If you like that then stay with WP or leave it as MS will never listen to its user. They do as per their perception and this stubborn attitude of MS will lead WP to nowhere. Though, Microsoft is firm in their decision of now understanding users practical problems so, now its your turn....be with it or leave it.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This is the very reason why I posted in this thread. Your giving false information. What can Nokia do if the OS drains the battery more when wifi is enabled (Just found out in my case and my friends's Lumias that wifi on drains more battery in WP8.1). Tell me, what can Nokia do to improve it if it's caused by the OS? Firmware? Don't make me laugh. (Hey Nokia firmware would improve battery life when IE drains your battery).

I like WP8.1 period. I have influenced my friends to upgrade to wp8.1 at the cost of warranty (temporarily). This is going to be my last reply to you. Telling people that this preview is not the real deal is false. MS won't give you guys (WPCentral) an earlier copy as well as dozens of tech site if not for the "grand announcement" of WP8.1 release (yes the preview is the release, RTM and real deal believe it or not). Even if MS announce this is the release, software bugs are expected. There's no perfect and bug-free software as complex as an OS. Let's face it. Issues are issues. Don't make false hope that these things are going to be fixed with the Lumia Cyan update unless MS does it.

P.S. I don't hate the hubs nor dislike it. But let me tell you a bug in Game hub. Turn off your net and try to load the Game hub (use a 1020 or lower model). Ask yourself what the bug is and hopefully Microsoft would deliver a fix

For you the battery drains seems to be only because there are rogue apps or system apps like IE. But the main reason for battery drain on WP8.1 is not that. That is probably a small part of the whole equation. What causes the drain is wrong firmware. Your handset is not ready to run the software you are using, period. Now if OS has rogue apps that drain battery, they add insult to the injury but here the main reason your wifi, your Bluetooth or your screen are using more battery is because none of the hardware components controlled by your firmware know what to do with new software. Once they do, they will be much better.

You are just reiterating the same thing over and over in your posts. You cannot tell me or anyone that WP8.1 Preview is what is on the new handset that will be launched in a few weeks. You cannot tell me this identical thing runs on Lumia 635. Why? Because Lumia 635 has this OS, but its hardware is tweaked to run that OS. So although firmware won't fix games hub or Cortana or IE but it will fix battery drain caused by your hardware, fix random GPS issues, fix radio issues, connectivity, sound, screen, glance screen, high voltage on double touch draining battery etc.

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I do think there is merit and reasons to be upset about some things in 8.1, they are backtracking on some of their original ideas and vision with hubs. I do think however that overall 8.1 is a very good update, bringing functionality that makes it a more feature-complete and compelling operating system, including features that people outside of the WP world may expect in a Smartphone (notification center, Siri/Google Now-like features, etc). In the long run I think it'll prove to help the ecosystem more than hurt it. Unfortunately as things change MS and other companies will make decisions that will make some people unhappy.

ghostface147

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This happens on iOS as well, which I am a devote user of. People want to be cool and install beta versions of minor and major releases and when crap breaks they cry to high heaven. Annoying little rats. This preview release is basically final code, but it's up to the carriers to finish it on their end with their features. Case in point, my mom's Lumia 521. When calling another mobile device (land lines are fine), you can call and hang up, but then it rings and rings and rings over and over. You can only stop it by rebooting. What was the issue? Wi-fi calling. I disabled it and worked fine after that. I am sure T-Mobile will fix this when their end is complete and released.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes hopefully the IE issues would be fixed but I am not expecting MS would change back the way tabs are arranged now where in the last open tab is the first on tabs list.

Perhaps time to call Joe Belfiori someone who is spreading wrong information and lying as well? I urge you, next time - please check facts, generally helps.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140502_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140502_0001.png
    277 KB · Views: 3

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Joe Belfiore had an AMA on Reddit, today, did anyone pay attention !

- WinPhone 8.1 Developer's Preview - let's talk about Dev Preview, it's the Final Beta (the RTM build) which will be patched / updated before the official release. Essentially all those developers out there are doing Beta testing on the final product (which is never really final). You knew (or should have known) that it could be buggy, what was your fallback ? Mine was I could re-flash my phone using NSU back to WinPhone 8.0.

- Joe essentially said we F'd up with WinPhone 7 & later WinPhone 8. It became a nightmare to issue an update, when 1 feature of the OS needed some fixing. Thus certain aspects of the OS have been Objectified, in & of themselves. Basically 1 step backward, followed by 2 steps forward. They've been separated (Music, Games, etc) into their own little sandbox, kind of a super App.

- Has anyone heard of the Social Extensibility framework ? This will re-integrate Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, et al back into the OS - without being integrated into the OS. This set of APIs will allow the app devs to interlock the app to the OS. It will allow more flexibility for said integration. I personally prefer to remain anonymous, my social networking is more as a consumer of news, than a supplier. The APIs will allow more control, so I can have mine & you can have yours.

- Re-stating the obvious, I could fallback to WinPhone 8.0, but won't. The PROs of WinPhone 8.1 far outweigh the CONs. I really like the changes made, but I'm not really entrenched in the Music app.

- Give it time, Rome (or Android) wasn't built in a day ! Android, for those who remember, was timed correctly. There was iOS, RIM BB, Symbian, WinMobile & WebOS - only one left standing is iOS, thus there was a void to fill. Android, was very buggy (to say the least) when it first surfaced - read XDA Devs, part of the reason they came to be. Since it was open source, the Devs took over, to fix what was severely broken (Android, but it had promise & it wasn't iOS).

- We can revisit this discussion, when the official WinPhone 8.1 drops - personally can't wait to see what Lumia Cyan brings. Then we can truly grade the 8.1 release & ascertain where WinPhone is.

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
It would be funny if somebody started yelling at Belfiore reddit saying "SHUT IT UP BELFIORE! I SAID IT'S FINAL! FIIINAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!"

p.vivekkumar

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. And nice to heard about upcomming file manager. However, I have tried with pfm, I was able to move single photo at a time. Can I move multiple pics.

Sent from my RM-821_im_india_443 using Tapatalk

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. And nice to heard about upcomming file manager. However, I have tried with pfm, I was able to move single photo at a time. Can I move multiple pics.

For multiple pics, you'll have to buy the app. Yeah, sad, I know..
You could wait for the official one which will most likely be free

p.vivekkumar

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
If it sort out my problem then no issue of buying....anyways thanks a ton for support....i have another problem, I have updated 8.1, now my WhatsApp pics are going to/ saving to " other folder" rather than "WhatsApp folder"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs