Why are so many of you talking badly against WP8.1?

bills pies

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I've read a lot of the threads in this forum, and I don't see why everyone is ******** about Windows Phone 8.1.
It's improved in almost every aspect imo, the only thing I don't like is the lag on the start screen, but since as how this is not an RTM release, what can you expect?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Because almost all of them fail to see a difference between "Preview" and real deal. They don't get what firmware updates are for and they don't understand how certain things can't be "fixed" without a clean install and a firmware upgrade. But hey, don't we love those threads?

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Because almost all of them fail to see a difference between "Preview" and real deal. They don't get what firmware updates are for and they don't understand how certain things can't be "fixed" without a clean install and a firmware upgrade. But hey, don't we love those threads?

Keep throwing shade, Mr. Moderator.

What is all boils down to is that Windows Phone 8.1, regardless if we call it a preview or not, shows us all what direction Microsoft is taking the system. This includes the removals of many unique features that many of us all loved. Whether it be the messaging integration or the use of the hubs, these things are now missing are possibly will not be making a return. This is coupled with a seriously abysmal music playing experience and the fact that this update didn't fix the myriad little quirks Windows Phone 8 already had. If this is an update, regardless of preview status, it should at least fix the problems users had with the previous version. 8.1 does not do that. It has added some new features, some of which are skin deep (background images and three-tile column layout) and some are much needed additions (notifications bar), but I find that much of the complaining is based around what Microsoft decided to remove. And when Microsoft removes something (see Zune), they don't tend to put it back no matter how hard people complain about it. At this point, I personally see 8.1 has a major step in the wrong direction towards becoming a deficient form of Android. It no longer does anything more efficient than its competitors except that Windows Phone always has been snappier than iOS or Android. But with its personality stripped away, including less and less of the inspired Metro design, what's left to like?

In downgrading back to Windows Phone 8, I did find that I really missed the new notifications bar and lock screen with the smaller text. I missed the sexy new animations and the new layout of the Microsoft Store (although I do miss its integration to the Xbox Music Store). But these things just are that important in comparison to a functioning music app and possibly the best messaging integration out of any current mobile operating system has. I thought the use of the Hubs was a majorly forward-thinking method of organization, particularly when it came to messaging. I understand that now they will able to update the Music and Games apps more often (and have already planned to release scheduled updates), but it's still a change of direction I think a lot of users weren't particularly happy about. Let's compare this to Android and iOS for a moment. On Android, music is an app easily ignored and replaced. That's great, and you're at the mercy of whatever app you choose for how integrated your experience will be. iOS, however, is a system-baked feature they pretty much got right the first time in using the same methodology used in their iPod line. The Music feature on the iPhone hasn't changed much over its existence and there's a good reason for that. They got it right the first time. Microsoft, for some stupid reason, decided to erase all traces of Zune and replace it with an inferior product. The Zune's failure is due to a lack of trust in the Microsoft corporation, proprietary formatting in the Marketplace upon initiation, and some ****-poor marketing (why was it brown and why was it named Zune?). The technology itself was not the problem. Rebranding would have been a far smarter move. The fact that Microsoft does not listen to its users, no matter how casual or committed, is very alarming. They took our suggestions and did the complete opposites, actually removing more features than they added (they added... none). In my opinion, the Music+Videos Hub on Windows Phone 8 did not need to scrapped. It just needed to be improved and fixed. Making it a separate app that is going to receive constant updates is a little alarming. It sounds like they are just starting from scratch all over again, and they still haven't gotten it right. I'm sorry, but it's not rocket science. Why is it that everybody else can get it right, but the biggest computer company on the planet cannot? Rudy Huyn writes better apps than the Microsoft team does. Maybe they should just employ him to write the whole thing in one night by shoving chocolate-covered espresso beans down his throat for twelve hours. I'm sure we'd end up with something more functional than what we have now.

Forgive the rant, but our complaints are not without merit, and they are so potent because we actually care about the future of this operating system. I've had two people switch from Android as a result of my insistence. I'm disappointed in the direction Microsoft is taking, and I'm tired of waiting and twiddling my thumbs. Microsoft should have had this right on Day 1, and it's alarming that they still have not learned from their mistakes.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Keep throwing shade, Mr. Moderator.

What is all boils down to is that Windows Phone 8.1, regardless if we call it a preview or not, shows us all what direction Microsoft is taking the system. This includes the removals of many unique features that many of us all loved. Whether it be the messaging integration or the use of the hubs, these things are now missing are possibly will not be making a return. This is coupled with a seriously abysmal music playing experience and the fact that this update didn't fix the myriad little quirks Windows Phone 8 already had. If this is an update, regardless of preview status, it should at least fix the problems users had with the previous version. 8.1 does not do that. It has added some new features, some of which are skin deep (background images and three-tile column layout) and some are much needed additions (notifications bar), but I find that much of the complaining is based around what Microsoft decided to remove. And when Microsoft removes something (see Zune), they don't tend to put it back no matter how hard people complain about it. At this point, I personally see 8.1 has a major step in the wrong direction towards becoming a deficient form of Android. It no longer does anything more efficient than its competitors except that Windows Phone always has been snappier than iOS or Android. But with its personality stripped away, including less and less of the inspired Metro design, what's left to like?

In downgrading back to Windows Phone 8, I did find that I really missed the new notifications bar and lock screen with the smaller text. I missed the sexy new animations and the new layout of the Microsoft Store (although I do miss its integration to the Xbox Music Store). But these things just are that important in comparison to a functioning music app and possibly the best messaging integration out of any current mobile operating system has. I thought the use of the Hubs was a majorly forward-thinking method of organization, particularly when it came to messaging. I understand that now they will able to update the Music and Games apps more often (and have already planned to release scheduled updates), but it's still a change of direction I think a lot of users weren't particularly happy about. Let's compare this to Android and iOS for a moment. On Android, music is an app easily ignored and replaced. That's great, and you're at the mercy of whatever app you choose for how integrated your experience will be. iOS, however, is a system-baked feature they pretty much got right the first time in using the same methodology used in their iPod line. The Music feature on the iPhone hasn't changed much over its existence and there's a good reason for that. They got it right the first time. Microsoft, for some stupid reason, decided to erase all traces of Zune and replace it with an inferior product. The Zune's failure is due to a lack of trust in the Microsoft corporation, proprietary formatting in the Marketplace upon initiation, and some ****-poor marketing (why was it brown and why was it named Zune?). The technology itself was not the problem. Rebranding would have been a far smarter move. The fact that Microsoft does not listen to its users, no matter how casual or committed, is very alarming. They took our suggestions and did the complete opposites, actually removing more features than they added (they added... none). In my opinion, the Music+Videos Hub on Windows Phone 8 did not need to scrapped. It just needed to be improved and fixed. Making it a separate app that is going to receive constant updates is a little alarming. It sounds like they are just starting from scratch all over again, and they still haven't gotten it right. I'm sorry, but it's not rocket science. Why is it that everybody else can get it right, but the biggest computer company on the planet cannot? Rudy Huyn writes better apps than the Microsoft team does. Maybe they should just employ him to write the whole thing in one night by shoving chocolate-covered espresso beans down his throat for twelve hours. I'm sure we'd end up with something more functional than what we have now.

Forgive the rant, but our complaints are not without merit, and they are so potent because we actually care about the future of this operating system. I've had two people switch from Android as a result of my insistence. I'm disappointed in the direction Microsoft is taking, and I'm tired of waiting and twiddling my thumbs. Microsoft should have had this right on Day 1, and it's alarming that they still have not learned from their mistakes.

You are from the group of people where I belong myself too. But this isn't the question here. What is bothering you so much is the fact that hubs are gone, integration is gone and new apps aren't yet up to date. I get it. I have same issue. I feel something lacking. Every single time I open my People Hub, it feels like it isn't my OS anymore. But those removal has got us so much potential. I learnt to understand that and think everyone in the same boat as me should too.

Example: Facebook integration into the people hub. What we have in 8.0 is a Facebook newsfeed (disrespecting all the filtered people from your actual newsfeed) showing you everyone on your friend list along with their game updates. What can you do with that feed? Like or comment.

Now, in 8.1 People hub has "set up account" - currently the only app that can add contacts to people hub is Facebook. It takes you to download app, you get Facebook app. Now I understand the reason we want our feed in People Hub is because we do not want to jump between apps. Facebook app even though installed, will update your People Hub feed with news. Have you noticed, that now you can toggle a switch on and off to only see things from people you have filtered on Facebook? You don't get all those games updates, annoying people you don't normally want in your newsfeed? Now you can even like a comment? These things and more features will be gained within the hub as Facebook updates their app to take advantage of more Blue APIs.

What is the disadvantage? It opens the app every time. But trust me, that app opening takes less than a second! Even on my lame 3G signal indoors, it takes a second if that. With WiFi it goes seamlessly into Facebook.

Now imagine the same with Twitter, Instagram (you don't have that in 8.0), Pinterest (don't have it in 8.0), LinkedIn (can't do much in 8.0) and other popular apps, slowly taking advantage of Blue APIs. Your and my beloved People Hub will grow right in front of our eyes and with new social networks automatically being added to the list if they use APIs. WP8 People Hub, Messaging Hub, Photo Hub had never been updated since the launch but Games and Music hubs are already getting their first update, even before the release of WP8.1 to the masses!

How can we stop seeing the benefit of regular patches, bug fixes, feature updates via apps that integrated into hubs?

People, including me complained, "Now we can't post to multiple networks at the same time, so no #smokedbyWindowsPhone" but if you sit and re-consider the possibilities with new APIs, it only will need on Rudy Hyun to come forward, make a social app that links into People hub and you can post to all your networks (not just Twitter and Facebook) including Instagram and Vine!

No one likes changes and we especially don't here. But if these changes are one step back, they surely are more than a few steps forward. A leap forward. Cortana could have been baked into the OS like TellMe and imagine her fate. Never updated unless and OS update is pushed out. But now, Cortana doesn't only have a chance to update server side, but also in app to give better UI in a few months if need be.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I've read a lot of the threads in this forum, and I don't see why everyone is ******** about Windows Phone 8.1.
It's improved in almost every aspect imo, the only thing I don't like is the lag on the start screen, but since as how this is not an RTM release, what can you expect?

This argument is getting old.
This IS an RTM release. It's called "preview" because that's just what Microsoft called their system of bypassing the carriers. This is the final build.

They ruined the music hub, but other than that I'm really liking 8.1

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This argument is getting old.
This IS an RTM release. It's called "preview" because that's just what Microsoft called their system of bypassing the carriers. This is the final build.

They ruined the music hub, but other than that I'm really liking 8.1

There is a difference between this build and what the final version bundled with correct firmware update will look like. Firmware update will make 3g, WiFi, GPS, Screen work much better than what we see now. Music hub is an app now, so you should expect more and more updates to make it better than what it was in 8.0 (on coming this Tuesday?) plus more features than 8.0 ever got in a year.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Well when it comes to forums you naturally get more complaints and searches for help than a collaboration of people rejoicing. 8.1 is a big update, it had huge expectations, and that kind just turned into it becoming the savior for some people, and when it didn't deliver, we get the really awful complaints. I know I've complained about some things, such as integration being lost, but I complain because this is what Microsoft is now visioning WP to become, and it didn't jive well with me with having to do more to accomplish the same from before.

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Actually I wanna thank you to Microsoft because release this wp8.1
wp8.1 is awesome, my phone(lumia 720) become so powerful

before update to wp8.1, my lumia had many problems like delay notification in whatsapp and others but after update to wp 8.1, no more delay notification, my internet become faster and the signal very high.
I can install apps and game in SD card so no more worry about space.
I can install offline database translator.
The notification bar is really awesome. I love it.
I can use Cortana, she is awesome!
many, many, many, many,,, I can't tell all of them

The only problem is little lag when the os do start menu animation, that's it, no big deal for me. Maybe I suggest Microsoft remove animation for low device :)

Tansen

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Personally this is a MASSIVE update and upgrade for my L925. The music hub might not be as great as it was, simply because it is slightly slower to load and no long has the recent and new songs, but it also is a little better in terms of accessibility of functions like playlists, etc. from wherever you are. Besides, the apps can be upgraded, and will be upgraded. Notifications are fantastic, cortana is fantastic, and overall this has made my already good device worlds better.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
WP8.1 is the kind of system you would love and hate at the same time. If I had to choose I would still stick with WP8.1 because it has more good changes than bad ones, yet we can't ignore the bad changes and we had to express our disappointment. Personally I am mostly bothered by the removal of facebook integration. No external app can make the experience as smooth and seamless as it used to be. Maybe you didn't use facebook on your Windows Phone to appreciate how great it used to work, and maybe you didn't use any of the other features that were negatively impacted in WP8.1 and that's why you see WP8.1 perfect, but for many of us who have been using them you have to understand our frustration.

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i think battery issues are mainly causing the bad vibe.. ,

For me 2 simple things still not fixed in 8.1 correct me if I am wrong.

1. How do I attach a pdf / other document to email when I am replying to email from phone.
2. How do I attach a document to email which is not on skydrive or cloud storage?

You would expect that a basic feature for enterprise users , even Microsoft itself, that's why Steve Balmer is now using iPhone himself lol..

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
... truth...

Very well said! Having been heavily involved in the Zune scene over the years I can attest that all that you said is true. I believe it is also true that we're seeing history repeat itself... not just with WP8.1 but with the Surface line as well. The heralds and prophets calling for Microsoft to reconsider what they're doing often are dismissed... and often proven right. Being right is no consolation when the devices have been discontinued.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
i think battery issues are mainly causing the bad vibe.. ,

For me 2 simple things still not fixed in 8.1 correct me if I am wrong.

1. How do I attach a pdf / other document to email when I am replying to email from phone.
2. How do I attach a document to email which is not on skydrive or cloud storage?

You would expect that a basic feature for enterprise users , even Microsoft itself, that's why Steve Balmer is now using iPhone himself lol..

There's actually quite a lot of basic smartphone/featurephone features still left out of WP 8.1 that make it incredibily disappointing. The lack of attachment options after nearly 4 years since WP's initial release, the fact that there still is no built in timer/stopwatch, no gapless playback, and worse- that a lot of features have actually moved backwards in functionality (music app is unusable, app list is now a mess, etc.), since WP7 has created a lot of disappointment and ill will in those on the forums.

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

People have too much free time. They are bored.

Stephen Pedersen

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I feel Microsoft is taking one step forward and two steps back. They neutered the peoples hub so that it no longer supports Facebook messaging. They gave us a BETA music player that is so minimalist. Where are the dynamic playlists, or rating system, or support for audiobooks and lectures, why is it so sluggish. However, Microsoft did give us Cortana, which I wont be using that much sense it requires "Locations" to be activated. This takes up a lot of battery energy. In addition, they gave us notifications. Personally, I don't feel the need to use notifications. All the notifications were on live tiles. So having a second area for the notifications seems pointless. I do like the option on notifications to turn on/off certain options, like locations, Bluetooth, and wireless. Lastly, they butchered the photo hub. Now we need to go into apps, such as Facebook or OneDrive in order to see out pictures. I recommended this phone to my sister before the preview was released. Now I feel a little guilty because the messaging integration is what she loved the most. That and the picture hub.

Instead of fixing what was broken, they broken what was fixed.

The one thing I am thrilled about though is their integration with SWYPE or WordFlow as they call it. They nailed that one! :)

Last edited:

S_C_B

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I only wish you could dismiss each notification separately. I never used the social media integration, nor do I use the music app.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

The majority of the people here should not have installed this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb