Bricked ATIV S 8.1 Warning

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
If you've used Interop Unlock and/or done extensive registry and firmware modification on your ATIV like myself, I really really encourage you to FLASH YOUR PHONE TO STOCK 8.0 BEFORE UPGRADING.

8.1 Update does not play nicely with modified firmware. There were a lot of registry changes under the hood with 8.1 especially in regards to the display and UX.
If you've changed your boot screen or used Sam WP8 Tools enable full-FS access, disabled UI elements (ie start menu letters.) or have made other irreversible registry tweaks, custom roms etc. YOU MUST FLASH YOUR PHONE TO STOCK BEFORE UPGRADING.

Simply doing a hard reset will wipe the user storage and settings but does not revert the registry values to their original state.

Installing 8.1 on a non-stock rom can result in:
? Boot Loops
? No network connectivity
? Loss of digitizer/display response.
? or in my case a Bricked Phone.

Please please please if you've messed around with home brew at all don't make the same mistakes I've done and do a full flash to stock. It'll save you a lot of trouble.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If you've used Interop Unlock and/or done extensive registry and firmware modification on your ATIV like myself, I really really encourage you to FLASH YOUR PHONE TO STOCK 8.0 BEFORE UPGRADING.

8.1 Update does not play nicely with modified firmware. There were a lot of registry changes under the hood with 8.1 especially in regards to the display and UX.
If you've changed your boot screen or used Sam WP8 Tools enable full-FS access, disabled UI elements (ie start menu letters.) or have made other irreversible registry tweaks, custom roms etc. YOU MUST FLASH YOUR PHONE TO STOCK BEFORE UPGRADING.

Simply doing a hard reset will wipe the user storage and settings but does not revert the registry values to their original state.

Installing 8.1 on a non-stock rom can result in:
• Boot Loops
• No network connectivity
• Loss of digitizer/display response.
• or in my case a Bricked Phone.

Please please please if you've messed around with home brew at all don't make the same mistakes I've done and do a full flash to stock. It'll save you a lot of trouble.

That's a wise decision, I hope you get your phone sorted soon, I had a similar situation with the GDR3 Dev preview although it was stock GDR2.

Loss of data connectivity, in my case at least, was due to the network setting being missing in the Samsung APN app so I entered them manually and it now works perfectly.

Geo L

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have upgraded to 8.1 with Interop Unlock and so far so good, no problems at all.
Just some apps installed under Interop Unlock are not fully working.
For instance the WPH Tweaks, the option to disable start menu letters not working, change the splash is working fine.
Storage clean-up is still working. The SamWP8 Tools I have it installed but not using it.
So, no problems at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs