Lumia 620 Problems after Windows 8.1 Update

shadowsheep

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
So I have a Lumia 620 (Puerto Rico variant) updated to Lumia Black, which was running perfectly fine on Windows Phone 8 GDR3. However once I updated the device to Windows Phone 8.1 a bunch of issues started popping up:

1. The device will not power off correctly. After more than a few minutes of use, powering the phone down will just result in it powering itself on again. It will only stay off if you power the phone off immediately after start up.
  2. Occasionally the phone will get very hot near the camera area and refuse to awake from sleep. If you wait awhile and try later, it will wake up and act normally.
  3. There is a lot of lag, dropped animations, and responsiveness is definitely a second or two slower than with GDR3.
  4. The Store app will occasionally crash and won't open unless you restart the phone.
  5. Some settings won't open unless I reboot the phone.
  6. The phone just randomly reboots fairly often while doing nothing.

I have turned off Glance and hard reset the phone. Now that I have managed to re-installed my apps, it doesn't seem that a hard reset has done much. The phone still refuses to power off correctly, reboots randomly, lags, and erratically wakes up from sleep.

Any ideas on what I could try next? Is there a way to downgrade back to WP8 GDR3?

shadowsheep

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Abhishek Krishna

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
My 620 also seems to be responding slower after WP 8.1. Even the start screen has to 'resume' or load' often now. Animations are dropping frames and action center is the worst here. Live tiles and app icons take a second or two to load now. Battery drain has increased to around 10% hour with battery saver on. (Glance, double tap off). But this might be because of Cortana. All this is after I did a hard reset.
Hoping it somehow just gets better...

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
If you want to move back to Windows 8 Black then download the software from Support - - Nokia - USA,

1. Connect your fone to the computer.
2. Let the software recognized your device.
3. Download the software in the tool.
4. Tool will install Windows 8 Black on your device.

I tired it for my phone and it worked but not sure it will be still under warranty :).

Thanks,
Ravi

Prudhvi Raj

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
until now i thought wp 8.1 was most compatible with 620, as there were hardly any complaints from the users and my phone works like a charm (except it takes 2-3 sec delay in displaying the tiles(of apps instld in sd card) after a restart.. my battery is also normal... It seems people with 620 are also having problems...

xankazo

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a 620. Right after updating to 8.1, I experienced most of the issues you talk about. After hard-resetting the phone and waiting for the OS to settle (yes, you have to give it a time to get to optimal state) everything is back to normal again. In some aspects it's even faster than before. I'm happy with this update. I'm not going back.

Sree R

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Me too have the same problems. Whenever I use cellular data connection my phone become very hot. The same happens when I play games too. UI animations are not smooth as windows phone 8.1.
Music and video apps are terrible. There is no notification available for files downloaded and files send or recieved over Bluetooth. Opening the narrator setting causes restarting. Sometimes low battery notification comes when the charge is at 10% sometimes at 20%. Some Commonly used words are missing from the keyboard, for example in my phone I can't find the word "Photo". Phone restarts automatically. Windows phone 8 photo hub was superb. Even though all apps are supported in 8.1 without the need of as update, most of them work weirdly. Almost everything is running very slow now. There is no improvement even after disabling all the background tasks.

For the last few days I was facing battery draining. I was wondering what caused this sudden problem. Today evening i found the reason. My Bluetooth was turned on 4 days ago. I didn't notice it because they're was no Bluetooth icon at the top of the screen like in the windows phone 8.1.

FORZa_PS

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I installed wp8.1 developer preview the day after it came out on my 620 and experienced battery life problems (which was remedied by turning off night mode and setting the screen sensitivity to normal). About 2 hours ago however, I took the sim out and put it back (to find out where the sim was) and for some reason my phone keeps turning itself off / only starts without the case on. I tried hooking it to a mains charger but it keeps showing that the battery is dead when the case is on and I know it had ~89% battery left before this issue. any ideas how i can fix it (the phone is less than a year old so it should be ok right). is there anything wrong (apart from that, i wish the family's higher end lumia had wp8.1). I did drop the phone earlier today as well :S

Aniket Mhatre

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
So I have a Lumia 620 (Puerto Rico variant) updated to Lumia Black, which was running perfectly fine on Windows Phone 8 GDR3. However once I updated the device to Windows Phone 8.1 a bunch of issues started popping up:

1. The device will not power off correctly. After more than a few minutes of use, powering the phone down will just result in it powering itself on again. It will only stay off if you power the phone off immediately after start up.
  2. Occasionally the phone will get very hot near the camera area and refuse to awake from sleep. If you wait awhile and try later, it will wake up and act normally.
  3. There is a lot of lag, dropped animations, and responsiveness is definitely a second or two slower than with GDR3.
  4. The Store app will occasionally crash and won't open unless you restart the phone.
  5. Some settings won't open unless I reboot the phone.
  6. The phone just randomly reboots fairly often while doing nothing.

I have turned off Glance and hard reset the phone. Now that I have managed to re-installed my apps, it doesn't seem that a hard reset has done much. The phone still refuses to power off correctly, reboots randomly, lags, and erratically wakes up from sleep.

Any ideas on what I could try next? Is there a way to downgrade back to WP8 GDR3?

I am loving my 620 more after the update three tiles looking osum. No battery life issue no lag nothing. And if you having so much of issues just try a hard reset but don't forget to backup your data

Sent from my Lumia 620 wp8.1 RM-846_im_india_233 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140501_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140501_0001.png
    479.4 KB · Views: 4

Peter Gerald

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
until now i thought wp 8.1 was most compatible with 620, as there were hardly any complaints from the users and my phone works like a charm (except it takes 2-3 sec delay in displaying the tiles(of apps instld in sd card) after a restart.. my battery is also normal... It seems people with 620 are also having problems...

Hi Pridhvi,
How much free memory you've got. I am having issues with lumia black only.(the phone has become a bit slow). Free memory 700 MB.
I have asphalt 8 which takes around 1.5 GB.

Peter Gerald

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi Aniket,
Is 8.1 update available in India for 620? You can have 5 tiles in a row on 620 after 8.1 update? How much free memory you need for the update to download smoothly? Did they solve the 'others' memory issue?

Aniket Mhatre

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Wp 8.1 preview for developers is available. Around 1.5 gb i guess you'll need. It has few bugs but still 8.1 is osum and you'll love it for sure. Other memory issue is still there for few users but for me it is solved cause i don't store anything on my phone memory i use my sd card for it now.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Wp 8.1 preview for developers is available. Around 1.5 gb i guess you'll need. It has few bugs but still 8.1 is osum and you'll love it for sure. Other memory issue is still there for few users but for me it is solved cause i don't store anything on my phone memory i use my sd card for it now.

what is "osum"?

Aniket Mhatre

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Notification centre, apps on sd card, background wallpaper, cortana, quite hours, can set different ringtones for different apps, swipe down to close the app, the new camera app, xbox games pretty nice but too slow, wifi sense

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb