It's OFFICIAL WP8.1 Overheats Lumia 1520 models up to RED

thefanfx

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I followed a lot of forums official and non-official and all Lumia 1520 owners are reporting serious heat issues
It's not because of some installed apps or because of some particular background process.

The heat comes from almost all applications including Games , Camera apps and even the Solitare or whatever simple app you start and use more than 2-3 min

As well issue with overheating was noticed even from a phone in static with only 3G activated, which means that the overheating issue is coming from the OS core itself.

Not quite sure how bad your phone overheats but once you notice the heat please close all runing apps and do not keep the phone with pocket or coverage at all since it can burst in flames (REALLY)

It's good to open a official treat inside MS official forum and sign so they can really start working over this issue , since it puts your hardware and health in danger

I performed quite a lot of tests last 1 week and nothing helps so far.

There are quite a lot of other bugs such as:
Not able to lock your phone with physical lock button quite a lot of times
Freezing desk screen
Lag in Games , Music , App Market
Lat in screen sensitivity or missing to notice touches

and many other with Lumia 1520

Thanks

wxrman#AC

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
In only have an issue when using the GPS. You would think that data is monitored internally by WP 8.1 and reported back to Microsoft developers.

thefanfx

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
i never tried GPS , i have blocked all reporting to MS options everywhere inside the OS , Location service is disabled since ever , i'm usually keeping background tasks near 0

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Both my 1520's are, if anything running cooler than they did before the update. There's something wrong with your device. Both of mine do suffer from the sensitivity issue though.

jmberumenb

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 also gets hot with GPS I even notice an yellow line on the screen at top as the phone gets hotter.

This is very annoying

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Mine doesn't even get close to being as hot as my 1020 can get. My 1520 barely gets warm playing games. A couple minutes of gaming or streaming and my 1020 is on fire (since release).

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Mine doesn't even get close to being as hot as my 1020 can get. My 1520 barely gets warm playing games. A couple minutes of gaming or streaming and my 1020 is on fire (since release).

The game situation would be due to the immensely weaker GPU in the 1020 vs the 1520. It works harder and struggles to maintain the framerate that the 1520 would handle with ease. Plus older hardware tends to run hotter than newer hardware too (newer proceses, newer architectures tend to help with natural cooling).

A phone overheating like the OP's would indicate some kind of hardware problem, the OS just happens to magnify the problem. I bet you anything you can have any OS in there its going to cook regardless. could be anything like faulty hardware, a loose heat spreader/heatsink, bad application of thermal goop on the CPU/GPU connected to the heatspreader, etc.

RWD

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Mine is fine. I'm not a gamer but I've always got WiFi and Bluetooth on. I had one incident where it got stuck apparently trying to show the start screen (app switcher was working and it showed no other apps running) and it got a little warm. I rebooted and all was well. I have a soft plastic case installed since new and I think that tends to retain some heat. Plus it's usually also in a leather wallet case as well.

It'd be nice if the OP posted the link to where it's official though...

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Mine is fine as well.

I think the OP's use of the word "Official" is just down right wrong. To be fair the hole thread title is wrong.

Alex Mason86

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 gets ridiculously hot....

so far I have narrowed it down to being in areas of low reception. However, I am currently in the same area of low-reception and its being good as gold.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I installed Cyan and my L1520 heats up at random. It gets so hot at the top that I can't keep it in my pocket. It also freezes at random when unlocking the phone and gets stuck at loading or resuming state, it freezes and lags when opening apps. I had none of those issues with running WP8.1 Developer preview. To me it looks like Cyan messed up my phone severely. I tried unpinning Cortana, no change. I tried a hard reset, no change. I had a 1520 I loved and now I am reluctant to use it. Maybe it is just my hardware, but nothing changed beside using the official SW...

AndyFZ1S

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Just my individual case and opinion but unpinning Cortana stopped heat and locking up/resuming issues so I have been lucky, Seeing as you have tried this then you should send off for repair.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
My 1520 is fine except for GPS (which every phone I've ever owned does this) and when in low reception (which most of the phones except for my iPhone did this). Also, OP, I'm not sure what country you're from, but I think you have a weird definition of the word "official"

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It looks like I found out what the issue was. Glance was enabled by default. After disabling Glance, the phone seems as snappy as before. Haven't seen lagging or freezing and it is no longer heating up. Of course this is just the observation of about half a day so far, but it is clearly noticeable.

Scott Feltner

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I followed a lot of forums official and non-official and all Lumia 1520 owners are reporting serious heat issues
It's not because of some installed apps or because of some particular background process.

The heat comes from almost all applications including Games , Camera apps and even the Solitare or whatever simple app you start and use more than 2-3 min

As well issue with overheating was noticed even from a phone in static with only 3G activated, which means that the overheating issue is coming from the OS core itself.

Not quite sure how bad your phone overheats but once you notice the heat please close all runing apps and do not keep the phone with pocket or coverage at all since it can burst in flames (REALLY)

It's good to open a official treat inside MS official forum and sign so they can really start working over this issue , since it puts your hardware and health in danger

I performed quite a lot of tests last 1 week and nothing helps so far.

There are quite a lot of other bugs such as:
Not able to lock your phone with physical lock button quite a lot of times
Freezing desk screen
Lag in Games , Music , App Market
Lat in screen sensitivity or missing to notice touches

and many other with Lumia 1520

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member