(UPDATED WITH INSTRUCTIONS!) My non-US HTC 8S Works Beautifully with 8.1- Cortana included!

vinscg

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
i just finished installing wp8.1 , it took about 30 minutes the whole process
and it seems really nice!
-cant access ADVANCED settings in iexplorer like a lot mentioned in the wp8.1-dp forum on HTC devices

Last edited:

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
did all that, but no cortana...eh, who cares, it's enough awesome even without it :D plus : the most beautiful phone ever :D

You sure all options were changed to U.S? Lang, KB, Region..also, they put the Cortana icon in your app list, not start screen..also. It must stay on US all the time, no switching back.

Anyway..it rocks even without Cortana.

n13 black

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
You sure all options were changed to U.S? Lang, KB, Region..also, they put the Cortana icon in your app list, not start screen..also. It must stay on US all the time, no switching back.

Anyway..it rocks even without Cortana.
yes. i got back to gdr1,than 2 then 3, than 8.1 all with all US setts, but nothing :\
just my luck...but, thats' not an issue :D

Chris Tsiolas

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello there, and thanks for your time.

I own a Huawei W1 ( i wish i had a lumia 620 or something...) and i just reset it, to factory settings. all new and clean.
i did ALL of the steps you described above, before reading the article. Then i downloaded the dev prev, and logged in and enabled updates.
i got 1 update... now im on OS version 8.0.10521.155 . it is gddr3 i guess. i have the app switcher for example- i already had it.
But: i followed the same steps on my fathers 520, he got this update, then an other that said: let us prepare you for wp8.1, and NOW im installing 8.1 on 520, with 4.44 gb free on phone.
My W1, didnt get the "pre-8.1" update - let alone the 8.1 itself.... Any Ideas ?! i have 1.54gb of phone storage free...

FYI, our 520 bought from greece, is set to "greece, greek etc" while my EU, bought online, W1, is set to US all the way !

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Is this phone support 4G network?

The 8S is 3G only, BUT, its big brother the 8X is 4g. The 8X is a heck of a phone, HTCs top of the line a year ago. The specs are still very good and it has a similar design. The screen is 4.2 in, as well.

If your interested you can find them new pretty cheap now.. . Just FYI

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello there, and thanks for your time.

I own a Huawei W1 ( i wish i had a lumia 620 or something...) and i just reset it, to factory settings. all new and clean.
i did ALL of the steps you described above, before reading the article. Then i downloaded the dev prev, and logged in and enabled updates.
i got 1 update... now im on OS version 8.0.10521.155 . it is gddr3 i guess. i have the app switcher for example- i already had it.
But: i followed the same steps on my fathers 520, he got this update, then an other that said: let us prepare you for wp8.1, and NOW im installing 8.1 on 520, with 4.44 gb free on phone.
My W1, didnt get the "pre-8.1" update - let alone the 8.1 itself.... Any Ideas ?! i have 1.54gb of phone storage free...

FYI, our 520 bought from greece, is set to "greece, greek etc" while my EU, bought online, W1, is set to US all the way !

From what i read it looks like the Ascend W1 needs a firmware update first but Huawei hasnt released it. Bummer.. BUT..

look in the Huawei Ascend W1 formum. There is a post called "easy way to 8.1". It takes you through some steps to upgrade the ROM using a Russian update. Says its in English too. Looks like some W1 owners have gotten 8.1 that way.

Good luck.

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
You people just don't seem to get it.
It's IMPOSSIBLE to get Cortana if you own the 8X (some models to work though...). Why? Because HTC didn't add US English into the ROM, thus Cortana WILL NEVER work.

However, Joe said Cortana will be available soon for UK, which means there is a possibility of getting Cortana on 8X. Furthermore, OEMs (HTC) can add via an update (official) US English and we can use Cortana with English US rather than UK. The sad part is, that none of these fixes are available and they will most likely to be released along with WP 8.1 (OFFICIAL RELEASE TO CUSTOMERS).

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
There are HTC 8X in some markets that has LTE enabled. I would get that if I find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
You people just don't seem to get it.
It's IMPOSSIBLE to get Cortana if you own the 8X (some models to work though...). Why? Because HTC didn't add US English into the ROM, thus Cortana WILL NEVER work.

However, Joe said Cortana will be available soon for UK, which means there is a possibility of getting Cortana on 8X. Furthermore, OEMs (HTC) can add via an update (official) US English and we can use Cortana with English US rather than UK. The sad part is, that none of these fixes are available and they will most likely to be released along with WP 8.1 (OFFICIAL RELEASE TO CUSTOMERS).

Yeah, you're right. The UK is screwed right now as far as a U.S language pack, but other non-US regions DO have a US language pack available (Singapore, for example). So don't give up all hope , check your available languages before you update as not to be too disappointed it Cortana doesn't show.

Still worth the effort even without Cortana, IMO...

vinscg

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
i just sold my HTC 8S with wp8.1 and got a new one for +30$ im happy now, just cant live with the new people hub & the gone msg hub.
wp8.1 is not ready.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb