WP8.1 Battery Life [Possible Solution / Reduce 'Phone' Over Usage]

rc2080

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Dude, it can't be the screen. Most people are experiencing battery drain overnight when their phones' screens are (presumably) off.

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Dude, it can't be the screen. Most people are experiencing battery drain overnight when their phones' screens are (presumably) off.

Read what I said: Depends the device. It's not for everyone. I'm not saying that its the screens for everyone. I told what happens with a Lumia 920. I don't know how is with a Lumia 520 or 1520, for example. That's why we have specifics updates for each model device.

In my opinion and for my Lumia 920, this updates improves my battery life.

nittyboi

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Well Artur, on my 920 display has the balance post 8.1 update too.

Brightness set to auto, it is adjusted based on luminous intensity as it did earlier on 8.0.

My batter use to drain like 6% an hour during night, with display off.

Social integration might not be only cause, but was major drain sources in my case.
Hence added it here, if it works for at least a few I'm happy.

Sent from my RM-821_im_india_443 using Tapatalk

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Great thinking to remove the facebook connection. I wonder if this will make a difference as I am not experiencing worse battery life.

It is always exciting to have the latest, isn't it!
So was I when I got WP8.1 Dev Preview, was all in rush and got it running on my Nokia Lumia 920.

All update went smooth and everything was working fine as expected, except Battery Drain!!
I use to be on call for around 2+ hours, regular play with Cortana (my new BFF), 3G and Location On all the time and switch to WiFi in between.

I thought the drain was due to my calls, but at such drastic rate? Nope it can't be.
Then I noted few observations.

• Phone - The process consumed whooping amount of battery
  • Calendar - I could find duplicate entries of most of my social network contacts (Events and Birthdays)
  • Contacts - Sync use to take more time than usual

Only thing I did!

1. Went to Outlook - Windows ID (web log in) - Removed the association with Facebook Account
  2. Gave it a little time on my phone to sync changes - Complete calendar entries and contacts were re-synced

and say what - Whoot!!
Just few hours, and I could notice the difference in Battery usage.

All / most of us had Facebook account linked to People hub on WP8.0, which use to sync not only updates but Calendar and contacts too.
Since all these tasks are handled by all New Facebook app on WP8.1, retaining the association of Facebook with Outlook does no good but DOUBLING the task!

Now I have the 'Phone' - battery consumption back to normal, no more duplicate entries in calendar and also a Clean List of Contacts in People hub.
All update sync to People hub is done via Facebook app and all contacts in there too.

All I say is - I'm in love with WP8.1 and Cortana <3

P.S.: I have added a poll If this solution helped / worked for you. Please let me know.

CreepinJesus

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Whilst going through my plan usage on the Vodafone website, I noticed I had been using upwards of 15MB of data every day for the last few days. As I'm only on a 250MB plan, this is somewhat off-putting, not to mention I only use about 2-3MB tops daily through general use.

I opened up Data Sense and found at the top was Skype with 90MB of data in the last 6 days alone! (I should point out I haven't used Skype for any calls/messages recently) I opened Skype to check it, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. However, since then it seems to be behaving; my data usage is back to normal levels and battery drain is lessened (12% overnight... and it was a long night because I had a lie-in).

Basically, what I'm saying is check Data Sense to see if something's being greedy, as this could be the cause of battery drain.

gallio

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Oh my goodness! I have had so many problems with my 1520 after this update. Half the times I would unlock my phone to see a loading screen and then the start screen would show up after sometimes up to 30 seconds. Even then everything would be laggy as if something was broken.

I went into my account and removed FB association, and ever since then, NO LOADING UPON UNLOCKING! Also, I haven't encountered any weird freezing or hiccups anymore! I'm hoping this was it. The battery life drain seems to have halted as well!

Will keep you guys updated...

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I haven't encountered the start screen "loading..." Issue for 2 days now without doing anything. Maybe MS did something on their end or some app update fixed the issue? I'm not sure.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't encountered the start screen "loading..." Issue for 2 days now without doing anything. Maybe MS did something on their end or some app update fixed the issue? I'm not sure.

I had it yesterday so I have got rid of cortana and will what happens now.

piotrek234

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
For high battery usage solution for me was turning off sync other emails than hotmail.

My issue when i installed wp 8.1 was high temperaturę of battery and high battery ussage. As i mentioned it fixed my issue.

My Phone is Windows Phone 8s by htc.
Try it if you still have same problem.

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Nittyboi,

Can you help me with this? I do not have an Outlook.com inbox. I use three Yahoo! Mail inboxes all connected to a universal inbox on phone.

How do I remove my Facebook connection with my contacts? I assume you mean to "unlink" FB connection with our Microsoft account?

Thanks,

xankazo

May 12, 2013
Visit site
My "solution" to this problem was to disable Facebook background tasks. But I'm beginning to suspect that the real solution is... Doing nothing, but letting the OS optimize itself after the big update. It happens with Windows too after a reinstall. It needs to index and optimize all resources before the OS feels optimal.

piotrek234

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Another my question. Do any of you have error in mail options ? Any error of sync ? I removed all of my emails. Because i found that my battery running out when this error shows.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo