Why did Microsoft change the Battery Saver's heart icon?

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I thought the heart icon over the battery in WP 7/WP8.0 was really nice to have. Not to mention how it appealed especially to girls. Why change it to a shield all of a sudden?

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I found that odd too, I suppose they thought it more professional and/or business-like? They are trying to appeal more to the enterprise market with 8.1 after all.

Also, interestingly it still displays as a heart on the glance screen, which is either an oversight or the glance app in settings needs to be updated still.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I thought the heart icon over the battery in WP 7/WP8.0 was really nice to have. Not to mention how it appealed especially to girls. Why change it to a shield all of a sudden?

I think this might have been for uniformity purposes. As other apps such as Data Sense use the same icon when going into what could be referred to as eco or savings mode.

i liked the heart icon as well and felt it was more appropriate. Not sure if the appealing to girls bit could be construed as a little Stereotypical or sexist but i know where you're coming from.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It's a shield now? I haven't seen it yet because I only allowed my 810 that's running 8.1 to hit 40% before I charged it again. Aww, I'll admit to liking the heart icon. :winktongue:

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I liked the heart as well, but the shield makes more sense. Since its a battery saver, the shield represents it well. Unless you are a care bear and you use love to save life. 💗💗💗

zomechin

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I was fond of it too, but I think the shield makes sense. There are a couple of places where the heart icon indicates that something is a "favorite." It's a little inconsistent to have an icon represent multiple things.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
While changing the heart to a shield they broke the battery icon. It doesn't show you the actual amount left like before. It's static.

The1920schick

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
The battery saver just does that automatically! You just switch the setting from always to when battery is low and the shield goes, showing you the real battery amount. I think the heart is a much nicer symbol, and they could have changed to a flower(to represent need more growing time) or a different type of heart. They could have been a bit more creative...:amaze::cool::love::eek:rly::angel::grin::wink::excited:

Leon Mare

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks The1920schick :kiss: :love: I was charging my Nokia520 like crazy and it never shows full. It is really stupid of Windows/Nokia! So I changed it to your suggestion: "You just switch the setting from always to when battery is low" as a static icon is pretty useless...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte