My Icon on 8.1 has gone insane!

joanzen

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had 8.1 on my Icon since day 1 and things have been running well. I've experienced the non-responsive power button a few times, but nothing major. But then today all hell broke loose and I've experienced several issues. First, I noticed that my WiFi on my phone wasn't working, even though I'm sitting in my house and the WiFi is working for every other device in the house. I've never seen this before. OK, no problem, I'll just reboot. When I tried to shut down/restart, the phone completely froze when I tried to shut down. I got the normal swipe screen to shut down, and when I swiped, it went to the bottom and then just sat there, frozen (Let it go, let it go---DAMN YOU TO HELL, DISNEY!). I did a soft reset (power+vol down) and the phone did reset, but when I tried shutting down again, the phone looked like it was going to shut down, but actually just restarted itself. Instability seems to be the word for the day... I may have to try a hard reset. I've been loving the update, but this is making me nervous...

Last edited:

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Is it running ok otherwise after the soft reset? I have the wifi hang when trying to turn it off sometimes-only fix is a reboot, but whatever.

Hisham mubarak

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing different problem with this developers preview.... My phone was okay after update.... Was running smooth and nice but some time it takes time to start some apps so I reset my phone... but sadly my real problems started after reset... My download restriction reduced to 20mb... I tried everything to fix it but sadly nothing won't work... Do you have any suggestion for that?? I am using a Lumia 620 and I am from India... Any answered will be appreciated...... Thanks for reading.....

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
my icon got hung up in a reboot once. i cant remember the exact sequence of events, but i know i was scared it wasn't going to come back on.

joanzen

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Is it running ok otherwise after the soft reset? I have the wifi hang when trying to turn it off sometimes-only fix is a reboot, but whatever.

The Facebook app wouldn't start, so I tried shutting down again and, again, it just restarted itself rather than shutting down. I was finally able to get it to shut down normally and when I restarted it, everything appears to be back to normal - Facebook and all other apps I've tried are working. WiFi is working. We'll see...

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing different problem with this developers preview.... My phone was okay after update.... Was running smooth and nice but some time it takes time to start some apps so I reset my phone... but sadly my real problems started after reset... My download restriction reduced to 20mb... I tried everything to fix it but sadly nothing won't work... Do you have any suggestion for that?? I am using a Lumia 620 and I am from India... Any answered will be appreciated...... Thanks for reading.....
Try changing your download restriction with Data Sense.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
ok, happened again today.
phone was warm and battery seemed to be draining faster than usual so i decided to do a soft reset.
held the volume down and power buttons till it shut off, it rebooted, showed the nokia banner then went black, i waited......, nothing.
without touching any buttons i set it on the wireless charger to see if it was off or just sleeping. it booted again to the nokia banner (proves it was off), then went to verizon splash and windows phone to start screen.
before soft reset the battery level read 83% after the successful reboot it read 91%.

joanzen

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
ok, happened again today.
phone was warm and battery seemed to be draining faster than usual so i decided to do a soft reset.
held the volume down and power buttons till it shut off, it rebooted, showed the nokia banner then went black, i waited......, nothing.
without touching any buttons i set it on the wireless charger to see if it was off or just sleeping. it booted again to the nokia banner (proves it was off), then went to verizon splash and windows phone to start screen.
before soft reset the battery level read 83% after the successful reboot it read 91%.

There's definitely some instability in the current build, at least with the Icon. I suppose that's the risk we agreed to with the developer preview. Hopefully, one of the upcoming fix releases will address these issues. For now, it appears that soft resets are making the problems 'fixable'...

Karpito

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you have Cortana on and live tile?
Since I turned Cortana off and remove the tile form start screen I didn't experience the problem anymore.
Just turning cortana off didn't help. You have to remove the tile from start screen. I haven't experienced the issue in about 36 hrs.

joanzen

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Cortana on and live tile?
Since I turned Cortana off and remove the tile form start screen I didn't experience the problem anymore.
Just turning cortana off didn't help. You have to remove the tile from start screen. I haven't experienced the issue in about 36 hrs.

I do have Cortana on and the live tile pinned to Start. My phone is working fine for the moment, but if I have another instance of these issues, I'll definitely give your suggestion a try. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon