Is the new backup on wp8.1 good enough? Or we are on risk on losing our data ?

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Today I try the new features of wp8.1 backup and restore.

With my surprise, wp8.1 does NOT backup apps data!!!

So for me at least to have a backup that does not backup apps data is Useless..

There are so many apps like WhatsApp that don't have a way to make a backup to the cloud.

If Wp8.1 really want's to compete side by side with android and ios. It must have a real FULL backup and Restore system.

Right now in case you move to another device or in case you need a hard reset we are without a tool to keep or migrate ALL our data.

I think we need a good article about, so Microsoft take a good note and also users know that their data is on risk on wp8

Thanks

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Today I try the new features of wp8.1 backup and restore.

With my surprise, wp8.1 does NOT backup apps data!!!

So for me at least to have a backup that does not backup apps data is Useless..

There are so many apps like WhatsApp that don't have a way to make a backup to the cloud.

If Wp8.1 really want's to compete side by side with android and ios. It must have a real FULL backup and Restore system.

Right now in case you move to another device or in case you need a hard reset we are without a tool to keep or migrate ALL our data.

I think we need a good article about, so Microsoft take a good note and also users know that their data is on risk on wp8

Thanks

Only new Windows Phone 8.1 apps can backup the app data (and must be implemented by developers), current Windows Phone 8 apps cannot because it is a new feature in WP8.1.

EDIT: Source: http://www.wpxbox.com/windows-phone...utm_campaign=windows-phone-8-1-backup-restore

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Only Windows Phone 8.1 app can backup the app data, current Windows Phone 8 apps cannot because it is a new feature in WP8.1-

Are you sure about this ? Because I'm don't see the problem with backing up wp8.0 app, each app have there own insolate storage like wp8.1 Silverlight apps

You know that there are two types of wp8.1 app. Wp8.1 Silverlight app and wp8.1 WinRT (universal app) are both supported ?

Thanks

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure about this ?

Yes, the developer must support the new feature.

Another question,
there are two types of wp8.1 app. Wp8.1 Silverlight app and wp8.1 WinRT (universal app) are both supported ?

Thanks

I don't know but I'm really sure that WinRT (Windows Phone Store) apps are supported because there are Windows 8 version of the same app and Windows 8.1/RT support data backup.

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have check the SDK..and I didn't find anything about adding a feature to apps for backup..

Btw, I think nokia just released a new version on 'app folder' for wp8.1 ... I have just check and all my 'app folders' are not restored...

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
When you go into the Backup settings, it specifically says that it is for 'participating apps' to backup data to OneDrive. Give it some time. I'm sure many apps will be updated over the next several weeks. I did a hard reset last night. No app data was restored but I didn't care about those. My pictures, music, etc. was stored on the SD card which I kept. The start menu restored fine although 3 apps it told me are no longer available even though it wasn't true, Here Maps, Here Drive+, and Redbox Instant. I was able to reinstall these 3 apps from the store and create new tiles for them. Everything else worked fine; just had to re-login to all my apps and e-mail accounts.

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Yes you are right.. WP8.1 apps are supported.. Good news!
Thank you for the link.

Still I think that a good or better explanation for standard users about backup is needed.. Because how do you know if the app is wp8 or Wp8.1 ? The problem here is that the user can be thinking that wp8.1 does backup all apps data.. And he can realize on the restore process that some of most of their apps where wp8.0 and they have lost the data.

Do you really think that WP developers are going to maintain Wp8.0 and Wp8.1 ? How fast are they going to release wp8.1 apps...

There are too many holes here..

It's what I think

Thanks again for the link!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven