Duplicate playlists

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone noticed an issue with playlists in the music app.
wp_ss_20140424_0001.jpg

I synced my music (from iTunes) and the music/playlists come over but now they're duplicated/tripled. I tried removed the dupe playlists but the app crashes. Not a huge issue but being a tad anal, I'd like to have everything organized just so.

I tried removing all the music and resyncing but I still get what is picture. Before there was just a bunch of (2) playlists but after deleted everything and resyncing the (3) playlists started showing up.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup same issue here. However for me, all I did is change one song on a playlist on the PC and re-synced it onto the phone which resulted in it creating a "New Mix (2)". I went to delete the original playlist but it threatens to delete all the songs from the phone and from the cloud. Not sure why when I have cloud sync off. But for experimental reasons I said yes anyway and the app crashes. Wtf.

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
This has been super annoying. The closest thing to a fix I've found is renaming the old playlists to "Delete" and hoping they fix the delete functionality. Haven't tried a hard reset but I did delete everything and resync it only to run into the same issue. Not sure where XBM is pulling the list of playlists from.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I can delete my "duplicate" playlists from music.xbox.com but this is till a major pain. I've got an Xbox 360, a Surface, multiple Win 7 & 8 PC's and a Windows Phone.
I use an old version of Windows Media Player on one Win 7 machine only to sync playlists to the phone (as there's no support for anything else to sync music to it). And "sync" is a bit of a misnomer - things like updating autoplaylists based on date last played doesn't function.
I don't expect to have whichever of Microsoft's services step in and mess with playlists. Especially for it to just create ones it feels like.
I've no streaming account. Every relevant streaming option is turned off. I'd happily do without the functionality of cross-device playlist availability if the Xbox Music Apps would just 8utt out and leave the playlists I told it to.

Last edited:

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand what MS is doing with music. They push Xbox music but they dont provide any sync capability. Then they have their Windows Phone app that you can "file transfer" with, but it doesn't really play nice with Xbox music (duplicate songs, permission issues) but on top of all that the newest version of Windows Media Player doesn't sync either. The Win8 Music app isn't set up the same as Xbox music on the phones leaving no commonality between anything! Isn't MS going for the whole one experience?? Microsoft needs to pull their head out of their butts and fix this. This is one of the biggest things people want!

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
That's the thing. I'd like to be a Windows Phone evangelist. People often ask me what my phone is as it's not an iPhone or Galaxy. The conversation usually goes:
"What's that?"
"It's a Windows Phone"
"How do you find it?"
"Camera is awesome. Everything else seems to suck at the moment. Especially the music. That sucks balls big time. Don't get one."

What I'd like to say is:
"It's a Windows Phone. It's awesome in every way, you should consider it for your next upgrade."

phonhay

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi Lundon44, thank you for reporting the issue. In order to investigating this issue, I have a few questions for you:

1. What versions of the OS and the Xbox Music app you currently have on your phone? What is your phone model? Do you still observe this issue now?
2. How did you change one song on your playlist on the PC? (e.g. added/removed a song, changed the metadata of a song, etc.?) What application did you use to change the song?
3. How did you re-sync the playlist to the phone? What application did you use to do that?

Again, thank you for your help in making our product better.

-Thai

phonhay

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi maflynn, I'd also like to have a few questions for you:

1. What versions of the OS and the Xbox Music app you currently have on your phone? What is your phone model? Do you still observe this issue now? We have made a few fixes in this area recently and are curious if this is still an issue for the users.
2. How did you re-sync the playlist to the phone? What application did you use to do that?

Again, thank you for your help in making our Xbox Music app better.

-Thai

AbstractKiller

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here - very annoying. Though note: mine is using automatic sync with Windows Media Player.

The duplicate playlists appear in both Nokia Mix and Xbox Music (v 2.6.186.0).

Lumia 920, Lumia Black, WP 8.1 Developer Preview, 8.10.14157.200
System being synced with is Win 8.1 Pro w/ Media Center, using Windows Media Player.

No variation in the behaviour in relationship to the type of playlist (auto or manual) or due to the size of the playlist (affects 1-10 track playlists as much as 800+ track playlists).

Has anyone heard any feedback or found any solutions to this (other than clearing the device for every sync)?

Fell Beast

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I also have this issue, along with the "No Album Art". I have a 920 with DP and all the latest updates (excluding Cyan). I have tried using Windows Media Player and the Window App Sync program running on my Win7 PC. Neither work. Crazy considering how well this all seemed to work when I first got my phone two years ago. :) Progress...

surfrank

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone noticed an issue with playlists in the music app.
View attachment 64382

I synced my music (from iTunes) and the music/playlists come over but now they're duplicated/tripled. I tried removed the dupe playlists but the app crashes. Not a huge issue but being a tad anal, I'd like to have everything organized just so.

I tried removing all the music and resyncing but I still get what is picture. Before there was just a bunch of (2) playlists but after deleted everything and resyncing the (3) playlists started showing up.

Exactly the same issue here (Nokia 925, using Nokia MixRadio, sync'ing via Windows Phone App for Desktop with my iTunes Playlists.) Dupes somehow get onto my phone wirelessly, though - haven't connected the phone to my computer after I had done a complete sync (delete all playlists, then sync). Deleting the duplicate playlists via Explorer just resulted in the dupes having a new number.

Haven't had this issue before SEP2014 and besides finding it very annoying, I believe it slows down music app quite a bit. Sometimes, opening a playlist or searching for a song takes ages ...

:eck:

notebookgrail

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Count me in as a recipient of this issue. It is so annoying that it makes one hate WP just for this. Why would MS screw up a perfectly working WP Music app and replace with this ****ty Xbox Music app which is slow by all standards?.
I even tried researching the folder where the xml files for sync is on the PC and couldn't figure anything. Either no one in MS WP team is using WP in real life or they don't listen to music at all.

Edit and Update: Looks like i figured the issue at least in my case. Irrespective of how many times i delete and re sync the playlists, it kept creating duplicates as long as the Old Music Hub Tile (3rd party app that restores the old Music hub) is installed. I deleted that app and deleted all the playlists manually one by one (reason is some of the duplicates don't show up in the PC when browsed thru the explorer) and then re-synced the playlists using the WP app for desktop. So far the duplicates doesn't seem to appear. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

surfrank

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Since deleting the playlists directly on the phone (via PC connection and Explorer) didn't work, the duplicate playlists seemed to be getting onto my phone through some wireless cloud sync.
I finally tried deleting them in the Xbox music app (never used it before - normally, I'm using the Nokia app for listening to music) and got a message pointing out that this would delete the playlist on the phone as well as in the cloud. YES!
No duplicates since then ...

ImagoX

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Having this issue MAJORLY since "upgrading" to Win8.1...

Sync was working well before that using a Lumia 1020, the latest version of the WinPhone Desktop software on a Win7 PC, and iTunes for the source playlists.

Since 8.1, half the time my WinPhone Desktop app freezes on-sync and needs its process killed in Process Explorer, and/or refuses to sync some playlists while duping others. Sometimes every playlist is duped EXCEPT the new list I'm trying to send to the phone (which does not appear in the list).

What's REALLY weird is that it happens even with music files that are already on the phone in other playlists - for example, I just made a "Best of" playlist containing 20 tracks that were already on my phone and in separate, older lists (so the music files should not have needed to be re-sent to the phone, just the playlist file listing the new track order), and.... you guessed it... the "Best of" list did not appear, while all of my existing playlists were duplicated. After messing around with it for almost an hour, it finally put the new list on my phone.

Microsoft WinPhone team: PLEASE FIX THIS!!! I've been putting up with my phone getting increasingly worse and worse with every "update" you release, but this is absolutely the thing that will make me leave the platform - the lack of stable, quality apps is bad enough, but if I can't use my phone for my music, I'm gone.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize I was in the 8.1 "Dev" forum - this is happening on Win8.1 full release for a AT&T Lumia 1020, not a version I downloaded via the dev preview program if that makes a difference...

Last edited:

Alan C2

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I have been fighting with this for hours,,,days,,,,months also.:angry:
I am noticing something now though.
That I can go into the playlists folder on Windows Media Player and delete the playlists easily.
On left of WMP, ATIV S NEO - SD CARD - playlists
Also if i ad them to sync list one at a time and sync them one at a time It seems to work better.

As a programmer I am wondering if , when doing a lot of playlists, the sync process gets interrupted and starts a new playlist but doesn't check to see if one with that name already exists.

Horrible programming what ever they are doing.

LDSka

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I had this same issue on a Nokia 928, except when deleting the duplicates OR the original playlists, both get deleted. Meaning hours of searching for hundreds of songs has been WASTED. If only Microsoft would realize that individually selecting songs out of possibly thousands is an EXTREMELY tedious, frustrating, and long experience that is a complete waste of time as well as programming because who the hell is going to do that? This literally just happened to me, so if anyone has a secure fix or a way to only restore the music files without restoring the entire phone, please, do say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire