Weird USB settings

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Data connection if it says then I think it is referring to USB tethering. Don't worry you cant use that option anyway until the official version on WP 8.1 is released.

A lot of people seem to be assuming this is what the option means, but where's the evidence to support that? The most popular UserVoice suggestion for this feature (I think) only has 1672 votes and is NOT marked as completed:

Usb tethering – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Has there been any official mention of this feature being implemented, or anyone discovering anything more concrete than this one option that could very easily mean something else?

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people seem to be assuming this is what the option means, but where's the evidence to support that? The most popular UserVoice suggestion for this feature (I think) only has 1672 votes and is NOT marked as completed:

Usb tethering ?€“ Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Has there been any official mention of this feature being implemented, or anyone discovering anything more concrete than this one option that could very easily mean something else?

Well, it can be mean anything, for example, future phones, allowing windows 8 to manipulare phone data (remote messagin, getting the notifications on the PC, etC).

We can only speculate.

Elvis7

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
The moment I checked the low power notification setting and backed out, my phone crashed. Samsung ativ s . Everything is working and the setting is still checked however.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Its interestingly weird that if we search for usb using Cortana you find a settings page in the phone section of search.....
But there is no settings option named usb in settings that works the same way as the previous one did!

Anybody,who knows what's happening here?

This USB setting has always been visible in the settings on the emulator in the 8.1 developer SDK

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts:

When asking whether to use the PC's internet that its connected to.

Alert when the charger doesn't put out enough power to charge at a normal speed.

Bottom line, excited for both.

rcballa12

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
This is a really nice find, thanks!

Another weird thing, if you go to "advertising id" in settings and go to the multitasking view, the name underneath the screenshot card it will be "connected to USB charger".

I reproduced this. Nice find as well.

Ivaylo Badinov

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I played with it for a while but nothing really happened. HTC 8X
The Slow charger notification actually bugged the battery level indicator when I put it into a low power USB and frozen to 6% (because my battery was almost empty). Then when I plugged it into a wall charger, it started to charge, but the indicator still showed to 6% forever. Even after I disable it the indicator didn't fix. I had to restart the phone with the option disabled to unfreeze it. So I assume it should show a notification which was not implemented, then it waited forever for confirmation or just logged an error which stopped the indicator to sync. Or it is just totally buggy.

gohilurvish

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea. 8.1 has so many little bugs and inconsistencies... I can't play with it now...

Did anyone notice change in charging pattern after this?

I plugged in regular 1.3A nokia charger when Batt was 9%. It jumped to 41% in just 2 min. (this happened for 1st time in 8 months)

Moreover, kept it charging for 1 more hour after it reached 100%. (my regular way)

And still it jumped to 99% in just 4 hours instead 6hrs regular time (no usage inbetween).

Anyone facing same issue?

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone notice change in charging pattern after this?

I plugged in regular 1.3A nokia charger when Batt was 9%. It jumped to 41% in just 2 min. (this happened for 1st time in 8 months)

Moreover, kept it charging for 1 more hour after it reached 100%. (my regular way)

And still it jumped to 99% in just 4 hours instead 6hrs regular time (no usage inbetween).

Anyone facing same issue?

6 hours for a complete charge is an issue, 2.5 is normal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99