1020 Dual Core vs. 1520 Quad Core on 8.1 Preview

Richard Durishin

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have a sense of whether the Preview runs faster on the Quad Core-chipped phone? My 1020 is certainly slower. I don't think I am surprised. But, I expected that - kind of - and wonder if anyone has installed on both phones and can comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: 1020 Dual Core vs. 1520 Quad Core...

Does anyone have a sense of whether the Preview runs faster on the Quad Core-chipped phone? My 1020 is certainly slower. I don't think I am surprised. But, I expected that - kind of - and wonder if anyone has installed on both phones and can comment.

I haven't been able to compare with a quad core device, but I have a 1020 and do not find mine to be "slower". What I have noticed was that when it was first updated, for the first few hours / days, it was still syncing content and loading information. This caused a poor battery life initially, and made it seem terrible. My brother noticed the same thing with his 920, and friend with her 928. All of us noticed improvement by day 3 at the latest.

I also noticed that if you set a background image for your live tiles, there will be a noticeable lag when going back to the start screen. This can be alleviated by disabling the background image, but I don't find it to be a problem, just noticeable.

Of course, the last thing I noticed (and is discussed everywhere here) is that the Music, Videos, and Games apps are just awful. They take forever to load, they cause sluggish behavior, have lead to reboots, and are just all around bad. Wait for updates on those.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

I have the 1520 and my wife has the 1020, I haven't had a huge chance to compare until yesterday (I am on mil duty and I don't get to see my wife often)

The quad core has been great, I have seen some slow downs but so far seems to be random and attributed to it being a preview copy. I will say the screen is just so much better on the 1520 and with 8.1 the hd screen is def utilized better, specifically in the messenger by not having the buttons so large. The 3 tiles to me is much easier to use and how the 1020 looks just tiny to me. I really balanced which one I should get but the quad core, the mem car, and the hd screen sold me over the 1020

Now my wife with the 1020 seems to still work pretty smooth we have both had crashing apps since the update so again I attribute that to the preview build.

do you have an example of where things are running slow so I can compare the 2 phones?

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

do you have an example of where things are running slow so I can compare the 2 phones?

Thanks for that! I would like to know with the Music app. Do you both have music on your phone? I'm wondering if that dev team tested with only quad core phones and had no problems loading a lot of music. On my 1020, it takes for ever to be ready. Load some music on your device, open the music app, then press artists and see which one is ready first.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

They both take a while but this isn't the 8.1 app. They have said the app will have a new release soon. And as for difference on the preview there isn't a lot. I would wait to install on a quad-core till they release the update.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Keeping an eye on this thread..i love sensible discussions like these, rather than rants and whining. To add my two cents to the discussion, the screen of the phone and the chip inside have a lot to do with each other. For example, a bigger screen with greater horse power will any day perform slower than a smaller screen with the same chip. I neither have a 1020 or 1520, so I am going to shut up beyond this point...and gonna see how it goes..

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

Agree with what has been said: I too have north three 1520 and 1020.

It took a couple of hours for the devices to standout, after the install - I actually manually restarted both devices a couple of times. Once the devices collect down the devices stabilised and I've, personally, not experienced much "slowdown", apart from odd lag I would also attribute to the preview nature of the build.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for that! I would like to know with the Music app. Do you both have music on your phone? I'm wondering if that dev team tested with only quad core phones and had no problems loading a lot of music. On my 1020, it takes for ever to be ready. Load some music on your device, open the music app, then press artists and see which one is ready first.

the music app runs like crap on all devices. I found the best way to use the music app is to turn off show streaming, and then set the phone to show all music, I find the artist menu doesn't load right, I end up switching to albums and I can see things fine, and then I can move back to artists and I see everything. But for some reason the artist menu take a little bit to load, almost a minute. The music app is not considered part of the developers preview or RTM(release to manufacturer) the music app is still in beta form so it is no where near done. The are expecting a patch this week to make it better. Anything else you see running slow?

Durishin

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

First, thank you for your service!

Specifically, I was wondering if games or Nokia Camera loaded any faster on the 1520 because of the chip as I really notice a lag on my 1020 and, what are we, 10 days post-install of the preview. Also, Here Drive + has gone from reliable and buttery smooth to prone to locking (just the app, not the phone - thankfully) which can be a bit of a danger in congested, unfamiliar areas.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

First, thank you for your service!

Specifically, I was wondering if games or Nokia Camera loaded any faster on the 1520 because of the chip as I really notice a lag on my 1020 and, what are we, 10 days post-install of the preview. Also, Here Drive + has gone from reliable and buttery smooth to prone to locking (just the app, not the phone - thankfully) which can be a bit of a danger in congested, unfamiliar areas.

so far both apps seem to be running smooth on the 1520, I will check them on the 1020 tonight. I have found a lot of my issues can be stopped with a full reboot, power/volume down. some apps work good sometimes some don't. the nokia play to app is dead in the water right now on my 1520.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

I have found a lot of my issues can be stopped with a full reboot, power/volume down.

Interesting. How often do you find a need to restart your 1520?

I can usually go a week or two without a reboot on my 1020. Rarely actually needs it though. (as in, it doesn't lock up, buy may run a little warm so I reboot out of caution.)

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

not to often just I think about 4 times since I got the new update, little trial and error specifically with the music app. I have run into random apps that run slow, but nothing constant. before the preview I almost never rebooted.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

That sounds pretty good to me. I'm looking forward to seeing more quad core devices, but I need more the Icons size.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

big reason I went to the 1520 was the mem card, having that on a pureview phone seemed to make sense, I also saw the 1520 a bit more future proof (wp8.1 compatible, was written on the box when I got it) and it had better battery life specs then then 1020. Its bigger so they can fit more battery in it basically. It fits in my pocket, my friends bust my chops on how big the phone is but the screen is beautiful to watch videos on. and if you haven't had a chance the nokia pureview camera phones not only do great pictures but the audio is perfect I have gotten some great concerts recorded from it without any distortion.

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

I have the Lumia 1020 with the 8.1 Dev Preview and I can say that it is by no means slow. I did not even need to do a factory reset as advised by WPCentral and other sites. The only bug I see is that the tiles at the bottom at the start screen are not being rendered that fast when I scroll down fast. (I have lots of tiles). Haven't compared with the 1520 but in my case I can say that the phone is not slower.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers