OS and Firmware - Lumia Future

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Now that Microsoft has the Lumia line, wouldn't it be great to receive updates on all Lumia devices the same way we receive update for Surface and Surface Pro?
It would be a huge boost for WP if MS could push out OS and Firmware updates on a regular bases direct to customers without the months and months of waiting for OEM and carriers approvals, where the latter one just messes everything up anyway.

What are your thoughts, vote above.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Fast updates are good.
But I hope there wont be carrier exclusive Lumia phones anymore. Like 920,925, 928,1020, Icon (forget 930) I don't know the lower numbers)) Anyway, this could help MS sell much more WP phones because not everyone is able pay full price. Also more apps will come for WP (I personally don't need any other app, I have all what I need)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My only potential beef with frequent updates is the downtime.

Now I don't want machine gun updates unless they're configured smartly, like overnight when on a charger.

But I'd prefer 6-mo updates for incremental stuff, I think that's a good number.

davidD93

May 28, 2013
Visit site
As a 620 owner who STILL doesn't have Black/GDR3/Update 3, the idea of not having to wait for your carrier to post the update sounds amazing, but I can't see it happening

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
My only potential beef with frequent updates is the downtime.

Now I don't want machine gun updates unless they're configured smartly, like overnight when on a charger.

But I'd prefer 6-mo updates for incremental stuff, I think that's a good number.

If it's done like on Windows or Surface with one a month update Tuesday, it should not be much of a hassle.
Frequent updates would surely be an advantage to the way iPhone and especially Android updates currently work. At present Apple has the best update policy not allowing carriers to mess with OS updates, but there is a way MS could top that if they delivered WP updates the way they do updates for their other software and devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett