IE tab behavior normal?

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I was purchasing something last night, using my Lumia 1520 with WP 8.1 DP. After the checkout process, it gave me a page to print for my records.
The site (California DMV...very low tech), did not ever ask for my email, so email order confirmation was not an option. I had the confirmation page on my IE screen, but realized I had no way to print it (strike #1 for WP, as iOS can print). Thinking I would just screen capture the screen, I opened a new tab to look up how to do that in WP 8.1. I brought up tabs again, and tapped on the image of the DMV tab I left open. When I did that, it did the equivalent of a page refresh, which lost my order information!

Why didn't the tab just stay the way it was? When I switch tabs in desktop IE, the pages don't refresh when I choose a different tab so why would it do that in IE for WP 8.1?

Very annoying since I now have no proof of my order. Lesson learned -- don't do anything serious in IE on WP 8.1 (like purchasing anything).

Is there a way to "print" to PDF or such on WP 8.1?

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I was purchasing something last night, using my Lumia 1520 with WP 8.1 DP. After the checkout process, it gave me a page to print for my records.

The site (California DMV...very low tech), did not ever ask for my email, so email order confirmation was not an option. I had the confirmation page on my IE screen, but realized I had no way to print it (strike #1 for WP, as iOS can print). Thinking I would just screen capture the screen, I opened a new tab to look up how to do that in WP 8.1. I brought up tabs again, and tapped on the image of the DMV tab I left open. When I did that, it did the equivalent of a page refresh, which lost my order information!

Why didn't the tab just stay the way it was? When I switch tabs in desktop IE, the pages don't refresh when I choose a different tab so why would it do that in IE for WP 8.1?

Very annoying since I now have no proof of my order. Lesson learned -- don't do anything serious in IE on WP 8.1 (like purchasing anything).

Is there a way to "print" to PDF or such on WP 8.1?
I don't think it was wise on your part to do important transaction like odering products online using a cellphone. Secondly its windows phone 8.1 DEV PREVIEW. its not the final version of 8.1. It has bugs which microsoft will get fixed with the release of the final version. Its quite obvious that IE will give you errors. Next time use a PC.

Sent from my RM-941_im_india_204 using Tapatalk

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it was wise on your part to do important transaction like odering products online using a cellphone. Secondly its windows phone 8.1 DEV PREVIEW. its not the final version of 8.1. It has bugs which microsoft will get fixed with the release of the final version. Its quite obvious that IE will give you errors. Next time use a PC.

Well, according to WP Central, 8.1 Developers Preview IS the final version, and identical to what is going to be released. I certainly am not expecting WP 8.1 to be bug-free (or any OS, for that matter), but I also would never expect that I shouldn't (or couldn't) do online commerce on my phone. Isn't that the point of mobile banking, mobile shopping, etc? To say I'm not "wise" for doing so is a slap in the face for modern day mobile computing.

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
What exactly do you mean by print to pdf ? You want to print pdf files from your cellphone ?

Like on a desktop PC (the one you recommended I use), I can "print" to PDF where, in my case Acrobat, is a printer and when I print-to-PDF it creates a PDF file I can email, or save. It's printer output, but redirected to PDF.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, according to WP Central, 8.1 Developers Preview IS the final version, and identical to what is going to be released. I certainly am not expecting WP 8.1 to be bug-free (or any OS, for that matter), but I also would never expect that I shouldn't (or couldn't) do online commerce on my phone. Isn't that the point of mobile banking, mobile shopping, etc? To say I'm not "wise" for doing so is a slap in the face for modern day mobile computing.

It's not the final version.

Any mobile browser, ios, Android, or otherwise, is inherently not reliable. That's just fact: When you visit a website perhaps not mobile optimized with a mobile browser, you're fairly likely to get some quirks. You're gambling on the competency of the checkout system to not do something stupid should your connection be interrupted, too... He's right, it's just not wise.

You should have known that you can't print pages and immediately taken the screen shot- and the page refresh may very well have been a feature of the site, not IE's fault.

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
It's not the final version.

Any mobile browser, ios, Android, or otherwise, is inherently not reliable. That's just fact: When you visit a website perhaps not mobile optimized with a mobile browser, you're fairly likely to get some quirks. You're gambling on the competency of the checkout system to not do something stupid should your connection be interrupted, too... He's right, it's just not wise.

You should have known that you can't print pages and immediately taken the screen shot- and the page refresh may very well have been a feature of the site, not IE's fault.

The tab was not touched. It had the order confirmation on it. Not knowing how to do a screen shot, I opened a new tab, found the info, and then went back to the order tab. I didn't touch anything, other than the icon to bring "forward" the original tab. It auto-refreshed the screen, which caused me to lose the info on it.

You people are making many assumptions that are not true. While the lost order info is inconvenient, it's not a disaster. "You should have known that you can't print pages"? Really? I was supposed to know the final checkout system would not email me my order confirmation like every other e-commerce site in existence?

I don't need to be judged and I don't need to be treated like a child. I was merely asking if the IE behavior was normal.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The tab was not touched. It had the order confirmation on it. Not knowing how to do a screen shot, I opened a new tab, found the info, and then went back to the order tab. I didn't touch anything, other than the icon to bring "forward" the original tab. It auto-refreshed the screen, which caused me to lose the info on it.

You people are making many assumptions that are not true. While the lost order info is inconvenient, it's not a disaster. "You should have known that you can't print pages"? Really? I was supposed to know the final checkout system would not email me my order confirmation like every other e-commerce site in existence?

I don't need to be judged and I don't need to be treated like a child. I was merely asking if the IE behavior was normal.

I repeat- you're gambling on the competency of the site's checkout system...
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
To the OP: don't listen to those criticizing you, you're absolutely correct that tabs in WP8.1 frequently reload after navigating away from them. I'm not sure if this is overly aggressive memory management or what, but it's extremely annoying and something I hope they rectify. This problem wasn't present in WP7 or WP8.

Robbed Time

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I think you are missing the real point that the OP asked. So you switch tab, then return to the previous tab and that tab then refreshes rather than just display what it already had. It doesn't always seem to do this, but frequently does. Is this "normal" behaviour? WP8.0 didn't seem to do this. It seems like a bug to me.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The other thing that I recently noticed is that music streaming services blow nuts in IE11 for WP8.1

There are two issues:
  1. music stops playing for seemingly no reason at all (music.google.com // soundcloud.com) or won't even load (Pandora.com - yes I know there is an app)
  2. if you switch tabs the music stops playing instantly

What the hell? Why can't they figure this out? Why do I constantly feel that no one developing or overseeing any of the project management of Windows Phone actually uses or tests the product? Why Why Why?

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To the OP: don't listen to those criticizing you, you're absolutely correct that tabs in WP8.1 frequently reload after navigating away from them. I'm not sure if this is overly aggressive memory management or what, but it's extremely annoying and something I hope they rectify. This problem wasn't present in WP7 or WP8.

Seriously. I used my phone for plenty of "secure" or "important" transactions because it never exhibited this behavior. If I knew my connection was spotty I would wait until I had a better connection but I never felt that I couldn't do normal tasks because of the internet browser on my phone reloading the page for me, without my consent. Webpages have timeouts, I understand this, but I have never used a browser that refreshes a tab without your explicit instruction. F MS - their decisions are mind blowing...

BadIntentVG

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok all you judgmental stuck ups, please show yourselves to the door. Thanks.

To the OP, yes that behavior is normal in WP 8.1. The RAM management is much worse than in 8.0, specifically when it comes to IE. It takes very little to cause tabs to reload on my 8X. Even switching back and forth between OneNote can cause it to refresh my tabs. I'm actually really disappointed to hear this happens with the 1520 with 2 GB of RAM (compared to 1 on the 8x). If you are doing any sort of multitasking at all, including switching between tabs, your progress WILL get lost at the worst possible times. I used to book flights on my phone all the time, knowing I could switch to my travel notes, emails, etc. without a refresh occurring. With WP 8.1, I won't be doing that any time soon. If you need to use your phone, just stay on that same tab until you're done. If you do anything else, you're at the mercy of a buggy OS which decides whether it thinks your page is important enough to keep in memory or not...

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
People... do you know that IE now support infinite tabs?

IE in 8.0 was only 6 tabs, AND it was a system app (an app near to system, with more privileges), that's the reason why IE10 not reloading tabs.

IE11 in 8.1 can open an infinte number of tabs, and now it is like a normal app, that's the reason each time you change to another tab, and back, it is realoaded.

EDIT: And the RAM management is not worse than 8.0, stop that BS, the new ram management is better, it allow more open apps.

ilektrolo

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
People... do you know that IE now support infinite tabs?

IE in 8.0 was only 6 tabs, AND it was a system app (an app near to system, with more privileges), that's the reason why IE10 not reloading tabs.

IE11 in 8.1 can open an infinte number of tabs, and now it is like a normal app, that's the reason each time you change to another tab, and back, it is realoaded.

EDIT: And the RAM management is not worse than 8.0, stop that BS, the new ram management is better, it allow more open apps.

how are you so sure if its better/worse/same? i could have with 8.0, 7 different apps in background and guess what...its the same on 8.1.this excuse for tabs refreshing made me laugh.this could be 'acceptable' only if you had more than 7 tabs and this with 512mb ram.hopefully this is a bug and it will be fixed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte