Is Windows Phone 8.1 for Developers ... good enough to be a daily driver

riggsmagic

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey I'm coming from the Android and iOS world and when a company says its developer preview, to me, it means its beta expect bugs. But i was reading the article on wpcentral about windows phone 8.1 dev preview and it was stating that Microsoft wants you to use it, its their way of circumventing the carrier. So with that said, is 8.1 good enough to be a daily driver? When Microsoft says dev preview its actually good enough to run daily? Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Some people experience some bugs, but once my settings were final i rarely have problems and use it continuously. Frankly, i have had more problems with android "final" updates than WP 8.1 dev prev. The answer to android problems was always "get a new phone". Not with WP 8.1 Now YMMV with the dev prev, but I would not go back to 8.0

riggsmagic

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Some people experience some bugs, but once my settings were final i rarely have problems and use it continuously. Frankly, i have had more problems with android "final" updates than WP 8.1 dev prev. The answer to android problems was always "get a new phone". Not with WP 8.1 Now YMMV with the dev prev, but I would not go back to 8.0

Awesome thats what i wanted to hear. Thanks!

kb1234

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased my L925. I am new to WP and decided to go for it and installed 8.1. It's so smooth and have had no issues, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it too you

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey I'm coming from the Android and iOS world and when a company says its developer preview, to me, it means its beta expect bugs. But i was reading the article on wpcentral about windows phone 8.1 dev preview and it was stating that Microsoft wants you to use it, its their way of circumventing the carrier. So with that said, is 8.1 good enough to be a daily driver? When Microsoft says dev preview its actually good enough to run daily? Anyone got any thoughts on this?

It still has bugs, and my battery life is awful (even after the 5/14 update) - but even still, I'm not going back to 8.0 - the new features are more than worth a few (temporary) inconveniences.

Exhibit A: The "word flow" Swype-style keyboard means that I can type WAY faster than I ever could before. Which means that I'm not just *reading* mail on my phone, I'm *replying* to it, in full sentences instead of single words.

Exhibit B: The Notification Center is extremely handy - I've gotten too used to it to live without it.

Exhibit C: Cortana is pretty awesome.

Exhibit D: Transparent tiles. I thought this was a lame gimmick at first, until I found *just* the right background image to use, and now my phone looks better, frankly, than anybody else's in the world (sorry, world!).

So yeah, good enough :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)