Nokia cyan update

Shubham Pokle

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I have some questions to ask ...

1) Does anybody have an idea of when we would get the OTA Lumia cyan update ?

2) Would i get the latest firmware later if i download the dev preview now ?

3) Are there a lot of bugs in the preview that i should be worried about ?

4) Does the new video player in wp 8.1 support new codecs ?

5) Would cortana recognize non US and non UK English accents (I know that she doesn't do that in this early build) ?

6) Finally, should i download the preview or wait for the cyan ota update ???

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

5) Would cortana recognize non US and non UK English accents (I know that she doesn't do that in this early build) ?

1. Probably by mid June going by the previous ones release times.
2. Yes
3. A hard reset fixes most of them. I didn't even have to hard reset in
my phone since I cld find nothing wrong with it.
4. I am not too sure...
5. I am an Indian and cortana does a great job at recognizing my accent, huge improvement over tell me.
6. If u wanna play safe and is not eager to get all new features wait
till june-july to get it, if ur really eager to play with new features do
it now.

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
1: Maybe? I'm not one of them, so I can't actually say, sorry.
2: I would bet yours and my phone on this. There is as close to 100% as to just call it 100% that we will get the firmware. Don't let this worry you.
3: There are some, I wont lie. Some people get more, and some get less. The one almost everyone sees is a battery drain, but that gets slightly better, and when the firmware is released, it should take care of it entirely.
4: I.... Don't actually know, I haven't tried that. Although (Don't take this as proof) I do have an old video from many years ago and from an old phone that works since 8.1. I hope someone else has an answer I can't give ATM.
5: This is also a hard one, as some she will, and some she wont. You didn't mention your accent, so I'll assume it's Russian, since it's the first one that popped into my head (Darn newsfeeds!). She "might" be able to understand you now, maybe. Possibly. Microsoft has said they are planning on bringing more languages out for her, though I never looked for a time.
6: This is an easy answer. Look at videos, and features, and then check what others say about them. I, myself, like this preview build. I am glad I did this, but it's not for everyone. You will have bugs, at least until the firmware releases. If you fear bugs, then don't. If you can understand these risks (Bugs wont normally break your phone), then go for it. I have had near zero issues with this, and enjoy it immensely.

Shubham Pokle

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
How big is the update ?
I mean in size (megabytes) ...
Thanks for above answers. I know it must have taken a lot of ur time. And one more thing, my accent is English (India).

Plz tell me the approx. size of the download ....
I am very eager to download the preview .....

Any specific problems with Lumia 720 after the update ?

haamid_qadri

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone here noticed this bug in WP8.1...:::

Whenever i get a call from someone while listening music on headphones and receive it, the right ear mutes and i have to restart my phone to get things back to normal... Is this happening to me only???

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
How big is the update ?
Thanks for above answers. I know it must have taken a lot of ur time. And one more thing, my accent is English (India).

The preparation update is 2mb or so.
Wp8.1 itself is close to 400mb.
But there were reports of users who are no longer getting the preview and Microsoft halted to fix a bug caused during install.
And there is Thank button for thanking people :)

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
That's universal and a widely reported issue but someone on this forum found a solution but I don't remember the link.

Anyone here noticed this bug in WP8.1...:::

Whenever i get a call from someone while listening music on headphones and receive it, the right ear mutes and i have to restart my phone to get things back to normal... Is this happening to me only???

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
How big is the update ?

I believe the actual 8.1 update is approximately 500 Mb or so. As far as the 720 goes, I would consult the sub-forum for that device.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

June to July maybe.

Everyone will get it but not before June to July.

Some general battery drain, not a very good Xbox music. But some pretty great features too like 3rd party WORKING FILE EXPLORERS. Be sure to Hard reset after the update. If you experience any lag for a long time, try a hard reset again and again. If it still doesn't help, try hard reset but do not RESTORE YOUR BACKUP.
Not tried but I don't think it does. It supports subtitles now. Also these free apps (FLV Video Player HD | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (India) and Mkv Player | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (India)) and also the paid Moli Player Pro are good.

I too am an Indian and it even recognizes whispering. The recognition quality and speed depends on the speed of your internet also (for difficult words and phrases and whisphers) I have no problems in that area.

Depend on what you want, it's great but you may hate the new Music, the slight battery drain etc.

Read this before and after updating. Do you want to enable Cortana outside the US? Here's how you do it | Windows Phone Central
I you want to install apps that are only available in the Indian store, just change the region back to India and restart. Then change it back to US to get everything as before.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone even HEARD what
Cyan will bring?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

The only known things are:

- Miracast support for Lumia 1520, Lumia Icon and Lumia 930
- Enhancements to the camera roll and Creative Studio
- Improved Nokia Storyteller app
- Nokia Rich Recording (Dolby Surround Sound) to L1520, Lumia Icon and 930
- Drivers and optimizations for Windows Phone 8.1

EDIT: Source: http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/04/02/lumia-930-lumia-630-lumia-635/

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

1. Expect it after few months from the release date of WP8.1
2. Definitely
3. Not lots of bug! There are some minor bugs! (Annoying Ones)
4. Nope!
5. Yes! I am an Indian and recognizes my accent pretty well!
6. Its upto you! If you can live with some minor bugs then go for the preview! (WP8.1 is AWESOME..) And if you cant You've got to wait!

livejazz

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ankit, hasn't it been pretty well documented that Nokia Cyan will accompany the public OTA release of 8.1? That was my understanding. Also, that those with the preview will receive the entire package that will include another (some may call it the final, but there will obviously be more) update to the 8.1 preview along with Nokia Cyan. Did I miss something?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon