Updating Amber to Black in WP 8.1

anon(7906052)

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, I installed 8.1 on my Lumia 620 with the Amber Firmware. Now that Nokia Black is available in my carrier as an OTA update, my Phone wont detect it as an update available (OTA).

I'm guessing that since I'm running 8.1, it won't detect it as an update because of BLACK including GDR3.

Any ideas or solutions that don't involve downgrading to 8.0 GDR3??

kylezangel

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi
As far as I know each update checks your phone and installs everything you might be missing, in your case GDR3. So if you had black, it would just install 8.1, and if you didn't even have amber, it would install GDR2, GDR3 and 8.1. So you should have it

anon(7906052)

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Mmm it seems that I didn't explain myself correctly.

When I installed 8.1, I already had GDR3 on my Phone (because of the developer preview), BUT I was running the Amber Firmware. You see, when you update your Phone to GDR3 or 8.1 by the developer preview, you dont get to update the firmware. Its a separate update from the OS.

My situation here is that I'm running 8.1 with the AMBER firmware, and I would like to update it to the BLACK firmware.

My theory is that since I'm running 8.1 and the BLACK update included GDR3, my current setup wont dettect it as an update (but it is the firmware that I want to update).

Anyone having the same problem?

siddharth1102

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well I don't guess you'll get update without downgrading to wp8. But you can use nsu to downgrade to black and then install wp8.1 preview at loss of your data.

anon(5718954)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you have to downgrade using either Nokia Software Updater for Retail or Nokia Software Recovery Tool. You will lose all of your data on the phone memory, but keep in mind Windows Phone 8.1 does have advanced backup options, so you should be able to restore most of your system settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven