Wiped 8.1 starting fresh...trying to get a handle how things work

Riggs Royena

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Okay so coming from Android & iOS after I factory wipe all the new features are still there. So what I am trying to do is understand how Windows Phone operates. I wiped this morning with 8.1 and after the setup I noticed half of my features gone (glance, touch, display, etc) I read around and installed Lumia Updater and installed these features. Downloaded and all is good. So what I'm trying to say is that Lumia features are not baked into the actual OS? Its independent and therefore can be updated by the manufacture and pushed directly to the consumer without the carrier's limitations? Correct me if I'm wrong please. Also do I still have to have Preview for Developers app if I am already on 8.1? And another thing, is it normal for the charge icon to blink on the battery icon when charged. Or should I see a solid charger icon in my battery? Thanks in advance

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you are on 8.1 you have the preview. I believe that MS is trying to separate some of the features away from the OS. This way it can be updated without sending out WP8.1.2.2.3.5

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft separated some core apps from the OS so they can update them more often. These include but may not be limited to:
Music, Video, Games, Calendar, Podcast. These are at least what I've seen updated so far.

All the Lumia specific features (like Glance) have never been baked-in in either the OS update or the OEM firmware. This way Nokia was always able to provide OTA updates for they enhancements.

Also, after an OS update, your OS remains on that build AND firmware version, regardless if you reset it or not. The OEM specific updates need to be installed again. I didn't do a reset yet since 8.1 so I don't know if you need to update the OS apps too.

PS: In the case of Lumia, an OEM update (from Nokia of course) is actually needed to tell you correctly on which firmware version you are.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
No you dont need the Preview App anymore if you updated successully, if you delete it you will get als future releases to the public dates again.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
No you dont need the Preview App anymore if you updated successully, if you delete it you will get als future releases to the public dates again.

If you delete it, you will not get any new updates for developers. Better to just uncheck the box until an update comes out.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Okay so coming from Android & iOS after I factory wipe all the new features are still there. So what I am trying to do is understand how Windows Phone operates. I wiped this morning with 8.1 and after the setup I noticed half of my features gone (glance, touch, display, etc) I read around and installed Lumia Updater and installed these features. Downloaded and all is good. So what I'm trying to say is that Lumia features are not baked into the actual OS? Its independent and therefore can be updated by the manufacture and pushed directly to the consumer without the carrier's limitations? Correct me if I'm wrong please. Also do I still have to have Preview for Developers app if I am already on 8.1? And another thing, is it normal for the charge icon to blink on the battery icon when charged. Or should I see a solid charger icon in my battery? Thanks in advance

You done good. Yes, the icon will blink for the battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans