Birthday notifications - turn off

AlwaysColtron

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey,

So anytime I have a birthday or event I receive a half screen pop-up notification on my phone. It does not no to my Action Center. I also receive the same notification with the TV Shows app but that is a app feature not a phone setting. I want to be able to either turnoff/remove the pop-up or make it so it only shows up a toast notification and goes to my Action Center. Anyone got any ideas? I've been all thru the settings and can't seem to find the option. I could turn off Facebook Birthday in my calender all together but I like the feature just not the pop-up.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

So anytime I have a birthday or event I receive a half screen pop-up notification on my phone. It does not no to my Action Center. I also receive the same notification with the TV Shows app but that is a app feature not a phone setting. I want to be able to either turnoff/remove the pop-up or make it so it only shows up a toast notification and goes to my Action Center. Anyone got any ideas? I've been all thru the settings and can't seem to find the option. I could turn off Facebook Birthday in my calender all together but I like the feature just not the pop-up.

That setting is only accessible through the web version of Calendar.
Open calendar.live.com, open the settings from top right, select Options.
On the top you should see "Edit your reminder and calendar settings" with your calendars listed below it.
Click on the Birthday Calendar, and at the bottom you have the option to set notifications. Toast notifications are not available for Calendar yet.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Go to calendar, settings, and switch the birthday calendar off.

The Tv shows app notification setting should be listed in "notifications+action". Click on it and it gives you the option to turn off "banner/vibrate/show in action center".

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Go to calendar, settings, and switch the birthday calendar off.

The Tv shows app notification setting should be listed in "notifications+action". Click on it and it gives you the option to turn off "banner/vibrate/show in action center".

Switching off the birthday calendar would defeat the functionality.

AlwaysColtron

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Switching off the birthday calendar would defeat the functionality.
I did the resetting change you said, I don't have any upcoming notification but I'll keep an eye out. You're right, turning off the option will disable the live tile all together which I don't want. Sadly, the TV Show app doesn't register on the Notification Center so no go on that.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I did the resetting change you said, I don't have any upcoming notification but I'll keep an eye out. You're right, turning off the option will disable the live tile all together which I don't want. Sadly, the TV Show app doesn't register on the Notification Center so no go on that.

The only apps that can get on the notification center are the ones that can send you toast notifications. I believe you are talking about the app from Rudy Huyn?

AlwaysColtron

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Just got a half screen reminder for a FB event, that I also on my calendar live tile. I'm afraid the change didn't work :(

alex_froilan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Same, I started getting birthday popups since I got 8.1, so I assume the Facebook app causes this for not having the option to turn off popup notifications.

If you still have your Facebook profile linked to your Microsoft Account, then there should be a Birthday calendar on your Microsoft Account (check calendar.live.com). This calendar syncs with your Facebook profile anyway, and some people have removed their Facebook connection from their Microsoft account before (http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ssible-solution-reduce-phone-over-usage].html),that's why I ask if you still have your Facebook account connected to your Microsoft account. Now with the new Facebook app for 8.1, it integrates itself by gathering the data straight from your Facebook account without going through Microsoft servers, so what happens is you'll have two the same birthday calendars: one from Outlook, and one from Facebook.

What you can do now is simply go to Calendar settings on your phone, and turn off the Birthdays calendar under Facebook, and turn on the Birthday calendar on your Outlook account. This way, you'll still see your Invited and Attending events from Facebook, and your Birthday calendar coming from Outlook without the popup notifications. Although only caveat is that you'll get notifications from your Attending events, but that doesn't really bother me as it reminds me that I have that event going on, unlike birthday popups which is like rubbing it on my face every other day or two that it's my acquaintance's birthday, like I care.

AlwaysColtron

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Same, I started getting birthday popups since I got 8.1, so I assume the Facebook app causes this for not having the option to turn off popup notifications.

If you still have your Facebook profile linked to your Microsoft Account, then there should be a Birthday calendar on your Microsoft Account (check calendar.live.com). This calendar syncs with your Facebook profile anyway, and some people have removed their Facebook connection from their Microsoft account before (http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ssible-solution-reduce-phone-over-usage].html),that's why I ask if you still have your Facebook account connected to your Microsoft account. Now with the new Facebook app for 8.1, it integrates itself by gathering the data straight from your Facebook account without going through Microsoft servers, so what happens is you'll have two the same birthday calendars: one from Outlook, and one from Facebook.

What you can do now is simply go to Calendar settings on your phone, and turn off the Birthdays calendar under Facebook, and turn on the Birthday calendar on your Outlook account. This way, you'll still see your Invited and Attending events from Facebook, and your Birthday calendar coming from Outlook without the popup notifications. Although only caveat is that you'll get notifications from your Attending events, but that doesn't really bother me as it reminds me that I have that event going on, unlike birthday popups which is like rubbing it on my face every other day or two that it's my acquaintance's birthday, like I care.

I'll give it a try and report back. I don't mind it and if it is an option that is not able to change then I'll learn to live. My biggest issue is that it doesn't save to Action Center or appear as a toast notification.

alex_froilan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I'll give it a try and report back. I don't mind it and if it is an option that is not able to change then I'll learn to live. My biggest issue is that it doesn't save to Action Center or appear as a toast notification.

Exactly, it doesn't go to the action center because a calendar event is recognized as a Task/Reminder instead of a toast.

AlwaysColtron

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, it doesn't go to the action center because a calendar event is recognized as a Task/Reminder instead of a toast.

Yeah, I get that. I understand why the Action Center doesn't recognize it like it would the others. I'm not asking why it doesn't. What I'm asking is if there is a way to turn off the notifcation all together but keep the live tile OR change it to be a toast notification so that it does save to the Action Center.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6