The WP 8.1 laggy experience when returning to start screen. Do you experience something similar?

grininja

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I want to share my laggy experience using a Lumia 720 (512Mb RAM) with WP 8.1 DP

Sometimes (lately more often) this is happening:

When I am returning to start screen I am experiencing some random laggines. The animation of tiles wont display smoothly (as in WP 8) or the (live) images from the tiles aren't showing for half to one second after returning to start screen. And contact pictures are the worst, showing with a significant delay, one to two seconds.

I think that this laggines is related to installing apps on sd. Because after I hard-reseted (twice) and I have formatted the sd (10 class) and installed basic apps only on phone memory all was ok. But after installing/trying/uninstalling multiple apps and games on sd card the returning to start screen became... not smoothly, that's the feeling.

The thing is that I don't want to reset and reinstall apps frequently just to get those smoothly animations we were used in WP 8. (Btw, this is happening only when returning to start screen, the rest of the menus/screens are displaying as before)

Do you experience the same?
I was thinking to move to a Lumia 925, any of you guys using a 1gb device, how's your experience related to what I described?

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
This is a general issue on all 512MB devices. Nothing to do with SD card. Try removing the Cortana tile if you have it pinned (or make it small). It helped many people.

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Never had that problem. I do live by one rule, whenever a big update vets installed a do a factory wipe and reload after the update and i have done the same after 8.1. I recommend you try that. I haven't had any issues unlike some of the other people here who have run in to issues post update

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I dunno. There was another thread where people removing the cortana tile helped. This issue is too mcuh present on 512MB devices. BTW, I had no problems since I hard reset a week and a half ago.

grininja

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I already did. If you please read the forth paragraph of initial posting you'll see that the phone runs ok after clean install. The problem came after some time and after normally using the system.

grininja

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
In WP 8 the number of tiles wasn't an issue. The start screen was full of tiles, a long list of scrolling :). But now, in WP 8.1, I have no much than two screens of tiles but the lag is present.
Oh, I forgot to mention that this is happening in both cases: with Show more tiles on or off (multiple columns or not).

A way to temporary resolve this is going to a random page and then returning to start screen three-four times. It's like filling some kind of cache memory.

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
yes this happened to my 720 too
the problem is(I think) because of start background, I bet it not fully optimized for 512MB ram
if your start background don't use background image(back to just colour), it will more smooth

GK Wong

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
happen to my 1520 as well. I already perform hard reset and soft reset also having the lock screen not responding. Also frequently encounter the Start screen showing Loading... or Resuming.. then whole phone is warm and laggy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786