08-21-2014 08:21 AM
60 123
tools
    I really want ot upgrade to windows phone 8.1 but I am hearing a lot of bad press about the "Xbox Music" app. I hear that the "Xbox Music + Video" app was replaces with just the "Xbox Music" app and that it is slow moving, loads slow, the audio controls suck, etc. The music app is really what keeps me on a window's phone because I love it and I don't want to upgrade to 8.1 if the music app is as terrible as the articles suggest. Is the "Xbox Music + Video" app still implemented in the phone? By that I mean, can I still use the same old music player I had on 8.0 with the 8.1 update?
    05-03-2014 02:40 PM
    Check out "Music Hub Tile" for Windows Phone http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...0-5dd76a5baec1 yup you can
    metalchick719 likes this.
    05-03-2014 02:44 PM
    the best thing of the "new" app (i used " " cause the app actually is an old one) is the search button <3... well, that's the only good thing about the new app xD

oh! and the buttons at the bottom of the screen, i hated them when they were up.

PS: sorry about my english
    05-03-2014 03:27 PM
    Yes and NO. The app just takes a second or two too long to load. and it takes a half a second to a second to display my list of artists. To me that's very annoying so I hate it. They are suppose to be fixing that soon.

I also really miss the history area. But other than that, it's ok.
    05-03-2014 03:34 PM
    Yes it is a step back - History is now missing, loads slow, no live tile, can't see the next track unless you press track list, unable to swipe previous or next track. W8.1 has, for me, ruined music player on W8P.
    BadIntentVG and Kevin Rush like this.
    05-03-2014 04:29 PM
    It's the most amazing interface for playing music you've ever seen, if the last interface you saw for playing music was a Sony Walkman Cassette player.

Otherwise, it's probably the best music player for Windows Phone currently available, but not as good as the best music player for literally any other smartphone.
    05-05-2014 07:53 AM
    But is the app at least slightly on par with the music app I currently have with 8.0? I just don't want to upgrade to windows 8.1 to find that the music app is so bad I'm crying that I upgraded.
    05-05-2014 10:19 AM
    It's the most amazing interface for playing music you've ever seen, if the last interface you saw for playing music was a Sony Walkman Cassette player.

Otherwise, it's probably the best music player for Windows Phone currently available, but not as good as the best music player for literally any other smartphone.
    What the hell did I just read?
    05-05-2014 10:24 AM
    The new Xbox Music app is getting a lot of hate recently, and most of it is deserved, but it's not entirely useless. The only issue that really gets on my nerves is when you open the application by tapping on the tile, or on the song that is currently playing (by hitting a volume button), the app appears to load, but only brings up a black screen with "loading..." in the top left. This happens at least half the time.

The Xbox Music team is working on the app though, and I'm confident that they'll get it right... or at least mostly right. The current state of the Xbox Music app shouldn't sway you from installing 8.1.
    05-05-2014 10:40 AM
    I must be lucky, because the music hub now works perfectly for me. Works quickly, goes straight to where I want it.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk
    05-05-2014 11:45 AM
    At the moment, my biggest issue with the Music app for 8.1 is the fast forward and rewind implementation. Instead of smoothly accelerating as you held down one of the buttons, it's a stuttering action; skip ahead 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, etc. Some of my tracks are album length (because of no gapless playback) and it's a little more difficult to skip to a favorite section.

Other than that, it's not too bad for me. If Music is as important to you as you say, you might not be too happy. But for ma, a casual user of music stored on my phone, it's OK, aside from a couple minor annoyances.
    05-05-2014 11:52 AM
    If you have W8 and not sure to update to 8.1 consider this before doing: Photo/Music/People/Msg's by sending/checking messages in one place - Have all been altered for the worse! Live Tiles have gone too on most media apps inc Music. Music has removed 'History', loads slow, no live tile, no heart option, can't see the next track unless you press track list, unable to swipe previous or next track. W8.1 has, for me, ruined music player on W8P. Have had two updates, but have not resolved any missing features or functions on music!
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-05-2014 12:40 PM
    I only have about 120 songs on my phone and the app won't stay open. Worked fine on my old 920 on 8.1. New one, it crashes and closes within 3 seconds.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-05-2014 04:51 PM
    Its crap. Slow, always synchronization at startup
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-05-2014 05:04 PM
    Isn't this standalone app available for 8.0?
    05-05-2014 05:11 PM
    Don't upgrade. 8.1 has completely ruined the WP experience for me. The music hub although has similar functionality to the old one, performance is a lot worse. There are now significant splash screens that really ruin the experience for me. The gorgeous live titles are now gone. This is also reflected in the Xbox hub which takes an age to load and is really laggy. I can go on and on. The photo hub is gone, the music hub, gone, the people hub ruined, the messeging hub ruined. Also the signature wp aesthetics of the large titles and backgrounds are gone too, leaving the app store looking really plain and cluttered. Ps. I went back to my 800 from my 1020 and im so much happier :P
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-05-2014 09:03 PM
    Isn't this standalone app available for 8.0?
    Yes, I had it before upgrading to 8.1 and it's just as awful on 8.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-05-2014 09:42 PM
    Don't upgrade. 8.1 has completely ruined the WP experience for me. The music hub although has similar functionality to the old one, performance is a lot worse. There are now significant splash screens that really ruin the experience for me. The gorgeous live titles are now gone. This is also reflected in the Xbox hub which takes an age to load and is really laggy. I can go on and on. The photo hub is gone, the music hub, gone, the people hub ruined, the messeging hub ruined. Also the signature wp aesthetics of the large titles and backgrounds are gone too, leaving the app store looking really plain and cluttered. Ps. I went back to my 800 from my 1020 and im so much happier :P
    You do realize this is a dev preview and is not the final WP 8.1 right. That was your choice to download and install an OS that is not a final release. If you don't know what the dev preview entails then don't install and just wait for final release
    05-05-2014 09:45 PM
    feature wise it's much better but it's slower, still need a lot of work
    05-05-2014 09:59 PM
    I am experiencing another bug - playlists are cleared when using without internet connection. Now I am just too scared to use it
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-05-2014 10:07 PM
    It's working for me. I understand that this is still in preview mode - I am able to stream albums and they play fine most of the time. The only problem seems to be if I have Wi-Fi turned on and I am on a train which is going in and out of Wi-Fi zones, there seems to be some skipping as I exit the Wi-Fi account. Whether this is the fault of the music app or the Wi-Fi, I can't say. I did try the old app, but had severse crashing problems on my Lumia 521 - the screen would go black and the only way I could start the phone was to remove the battery and reinsert it. After the restart, the SD card where I store my apps had to go through a reinitialization process. Needless to say, I uninstalled this in favor of the newer, if imperfect, Music app.
    05-06-2014 07:51 AM
    Anyone know how to get this app to stop crashing and stay open?
    05-06-2014 09:22 AM
    Another bug, for me, is that streaming music takes precedence over local music. It took several attempts to turn off "Show streaming music in my collection". I finally got it turned off, by setting to "off", THEN rebooting the phone.

I hate the new interface, so I re-enabled the old interface of "Music Hub Tile", and made sure that again Streaming music is off. But using this app, streaming music is back as taking precedence over local music.

It took me awhile to try to figure out why when I shuffle my music collection, that sometimes a song would stop mid way through, then go to the next song. I kept thinking that some how my music files were corrupted. Several hard reset's, reformatting my sdCard, re-syncing (with various methods), etc., didn't help. Finally I noticed the stupid streaming icon was showing on songs that were skipping. Aaaaarrrggghhhh!!!

If were a programmer, I would be sitting down right now and writing my own music player app that was just for playing locally stored files, screw streaming music from Xbox.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-06-2014 09:42 AM
    How is this even possible ? Just port the one from Windows 8.1 .. it seems decent enough
    05-06-2014 09:45 AM
    Yes the main issue for me is that its so slow for unknown reasons and also it doesn't display album art but then again i mainly use Nokia mix radio now anyways.
    05-06-2014 09:48 AM
60 123