Skype on 8.1

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Did anyone notice that the battery drain when video calling has been solved? On 8, when you video called, whether you charged or not, the battery would die after an hour of 2-3. Now, the phone charges normally. In fact, I am impressed by the battery usage when doing a voice call, which seems to pull low resources - and the phone does not get warm. In addition, Skype does not seem to use much power at all - you can stay logged in all the time, without noticing any quick battery drain.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes I love using Skype on my Lumia 920. But sometimes it takes time to sync chat history from other devices and I miss video/image attachment feature. Now they have made group calling free. I am trying to ditch WhatsApp ( I already ditched Facebook, my girlfriend is using it but I am not sure :p )

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
That is fantastic news! My father lives halfway across the planet and Skype is keeping our relationship alive. I'm looking forward to testing this out...

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes I love using Skype on my Lumia 920. But sometimes it takes time to sync chat history from other devices and I miss video/image attachment feature. Now they have made group calling free. I am trying to ditch WhatsApp ( I already ditched Facebook, my girlfriend is using it but I am not sure :p )

Yeah! I'd want to do that too - but right now, all of my friends are on several platforms... Microsoft has the potential to pull them all into one system (one app to bind them all in darkn... never mind!).

And while that syncing takes sometime, I do love that idea. Because I have 3 phones, and I need to have 3 WhatsApp accounts - no real overview. But with Skype, you just use one account, and everything is there! One advantage, besides the sharing of photos indeed, of WhatsApp is the interface. While Skype looks good, I love the darkness and the respect for the chosen theme color. In that sense, I do prefer WhatsApp actually...

To be honest, I disliked the chat app of FB. I only have the regular app for FB just because of the integration with the People hub. I'd rather use the browser for Facebooking...

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
White all-over the screen , during night time it really hurts eye or when you just woke up and check your phone and arghh :p

Exactly! Just like sending a text message late at night... Skype is destructive for your eyes. They don't want to bind us in darkness apparently. :p I am glad the screen goes completely off during a call, saves lots of energy and eyes.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't seemed to be solved for me running 8.1 on the lumia 1020. Just had a 45 minute skype video call yesterday and the phone lost almost half it's battery and got really hot. Basically the same as with 8.0. I was on WiFi.

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that Skype is more buggy on 8.1 and every bit as slow and choppy. They need to fix this, it's been over a year and a half. The Skype app on iPhone loads instantly and even has more features such as sending photos over Skype.

Bharath Ayyagari

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I was unable to login to skype in my windows phone 8.1 developer preview,I'm using Lumia 820.I get voice commands every time I tap on 'sign in' or 'Need help signing in' .
Can you guys tell me,is it a bug or I have do something?

adino

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
@Bharath Ayyagari: same problem with my 920, i tap "sign in" or "need help", but nothing happens, uninstalled, reinstalled...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786