Quality of Photos and unable to restore to 8.0

ZZR600

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I noticed yesterday when out and about snapping photos on my 1020 (first time since updating) that all of my photos have severe sub standard quality compared to 8.0. My images either appear slightly out of focus on the point of interest, exposure totally whacked in many instances and zoom quality of the high res images exactly the same as the 5mp file where detail just gets blocky. I compared the images to some I took prior to the update and it's bad....... real bad. Taking an image of a person with beard for example before you could zoom and distinguish beard hairs where now it just turns in to a fuzzy mess like a low res image. File sizes of photos are consistent with 34mp so whatever fine tuning Nokia do in the firmware seems to be lost in the 8.1 DP

I opted to try and restore the phone with the Nokia tool, everything goes well and it downloads a 1.42gb image but as soon as it's hit 100% it states that there is a network issue and to check firewall/anti virus. I've tried this on 3 machines over my home internet and also using my phone as a tether, disabled the firewall and anti virus and it's the same on all machines. Exact message it throws up is "A network error has occurred. There is a problem connecting to the service. Ensure that your firewall and virus protection settings are correct". I've deleted the files over and over again but same issue occurs at 100% download

Can anyone with the 1020 please check their snaps to see if they're having similar issues and tell me if I'm alone with the recovery error too?

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I noticed yesterday when out and about snapping photos on my 1020 (first time since updating) that all of my photos have severe sub standard quality compared to 8.0. My images either appear slightly out of focus on the point of interest, exposure totally whacked in many instances and zoom quality of the high res images exactly the same as the 5mp file where detail just gets blocky. I compared the images to some I took prior to the update and it's bad....... real bad. Taking an image of a person with beard for example before you could zoom and distinguish beard hairs where now it just turns in to a fuzzy mess like a low res image. File sizes of photos are consistent with 34mp so whatever fine tuning Nokia do in the firmware seems to be lost in the 8.1 DP

I opted to try and restore the phone with the Nokia tool, everything goes well and it downloads a 1.42gb image but as soon as it's hit 100% it states that there is a network issue and to check firewall/anti virus. I've tried this on 3 machines over my home internet and also using my phone as a tether, disabled the firewall and anti virus and it's the same on all machines. Exact message it throws up is "A network error has occurred. There is a problem connecting to the service. Ensure that your firewall and virus protection settings are correct". I've deleted the files over and over again but same issue occurs at 100% download

Can anyone with the 1020 please check their snaps to see if they're having similar issues and tell me if I'm alone with the recovery error too?

This is what Nokia Cyan is for. BTW about the restore issue, I'll have to look into it. Try reading this to see if somebody had a similar problem (http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...opers/279564-how-downgrade-wp-8-1-wp-8-a.html)

ZZR600

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I know Cyan is on the way but no one is really sure of the exact release date. Overall I'm happy with the preview but just a shame the camera is effected. I did read through that thread you posted but not really of much help too be honest.

I'm interested to see if anyone else can comment on their photos taken with the 1020 and if the quality has degraded.

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Well am not a1020 user but on my 720 also the pictures captured earlier and after upgrading are much different the later one just can't be said that are captured from same 720... And restoring phone also sucks up when i tried that too on my phone three times it happened to me i tried restoring and an error pooped out... At last i deleted backup and started using my phone as fresh... Just bull**** with suc update MS

ZZR600

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Well am not a1020 user but on my 720 also the pictures captured earlier and after upgrading are much different the later one just can't be said that are captured from same 720... And restoring phone also sucks up when i tried that too on my phone three times it happened to me i tried restoring and an error pooped out... At last i deleted backup and started using my phone as fresh... Just bull**** with suc update MS

Well, with all honesty it is a developer preview so we can't really complain. Sounds like its effecting all camera post processing on all devices Nokia related anyway. Someone mentioned cyan being around the end of the month for flagship devices, is this likely the case?

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, with all honesty it is a developer preview so we can't really complain. Sounds like its effecting all camera post processing on all devices Nokia related anyway. Someone mentioned cyan being around the end of the month for flagship devices, is this likely the case?

I haven't read a word anywhere about cyan availability but hope someone would might like to help us but.... How can you say that.... Before official releases of 8.1 no cyan update can be seen that's what i guess

ZZR600

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Whilst researching this issue and looking for cyan, there were talks on these forums about devices that are shipping this month with 8.1 preinstalled showing the exact same revision numbers as the preview build so many are saying we are already using the final build.

Some were speculating that end of this month may see Nokia rolling out cyan if this is indeed the case. It's a long shot but would be nice now that I've discovered this issue with photos since it looks like I may not be able to recover back to 8.0 and was looking to use the phone at a car show this weekend.

ZZR600

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I seriously starting to tear my hair out with this now, I'm thinking the issue is with Nokia servers than my own as I still can't get past 99% download in the Software Recovery Tool. I've tried my own home internet with all firewall and antivirus off in win 8.1, I've tried the same on a Windows 7 laptop and lastly tethered straight off my phone and still the same issue saying there's a network problem.

Can anyone actually get to 100% on the firmware download currently?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes