Microsoft's Marketing Is A Joke...Is it Not???

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
It's not like Microsoft is not trying or spending enough money on marketing, it's that their commercials are boring, forgettable, redundant, annoying, vaguely informational and in no way inspirational.

I feel as if I've demonstrated to more people what Windows Phone and my Microsoft Surface Pro is than Microsoft's ad campaigns have. Everyone from family and friends to coworkers and classmates (all iOS and Android) love my Nokia Icon and Surface Pro tablet. The mainstream consumer does not have an irrational hatred toward Microsoft or have a conniption about things like total app selection, or feel as if they're tied down to an Apple or Android ecosystem. I've converted 8 people to WP (all who love it and have no problem with the hotly debated app gap), It's really quite simple. All but 1 of the 8 converts were on Android and they kept getting increasingly annoyed with the infamous Android lag, I showed them my Nokia and how fast I can move from app to app and how fluid it is and they were sold on the prospect of WP. As for the Surface Pro all of my iPad using friends acted like I was practicing sorcery when I switched over to desktop mode and opened up full x86 programs. Common knowledge for most of us but for the less tech savvy mainstream consumer its been a feature MS has failed to truly demonstrate.

Think of the WP/W8 commercials now, maybe it's just me but they've gotten extremely annoying and redundant. (Enough with that Brave song already!!!) Is Microsoft trying to say that it takes "Bravery" to switch to a Windows product?

As for Surface commercials, I have hard time remembering any of them whereas with say an Apple commercial whether we like them or not we can never forget them much less mistake them for anyone other than Apple. (Think of the ipod shadow dancing, the "there's an app for that", etc etc.). Microsoft is a competent marketing division away from a surge in market share (not a surge into number 1 but a surge that would show better share than 3% in the US). Can anyone name a solid Xbox One commercial they've seen on TV yet? Whereas I'm sure everyone is familiar with that PS4 commercial with the two guys singing. CAN'T ANYONE AT MS MAKE A GOOD MARKETING CAMPAIGN !?!?

NachiketS

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
agreed.
I went to Best Buy store in Toronto last weekend and there was NO WINDOWS PHONE on display. I have no clue why Microsoft wont put any efforts in putting the phones/tablets on displays or any place where people can see it. All the commercials and other Windows Phone contests are lame efforts :(

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Its been okay lately.. it used to be worse

agreed.
I went to Best Buy store in Toronto last weekend and there was NO WINDOWS PHONE on display. I have no clue why Microsoft wont put any efforts in putting the phones/tablets on displays or any place where people can see it. All the commercials and other Windows Phone contests are lame efforts :(

I just wanted to say that I like your avatar.. I would argue that this is still the best FPS game to date

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call the commercials I've seen so far (in Germany and on YT) lame, but especially the W8 ads have this information overload to them: MSFT is trying to address archetypes of people instead of teaching the (average, misinformed) consumer/user the benefits of the new (or worst: unknown) OS.

As for the Apple ads, the recent ones make me feel uneasy, because they're only about the company's image (which might address a lot of indecisive consumers, but not me).

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't call the commercials I've seen so far (in Germany and on YT) lame, but especially the W8 ads have this information overload to them: MSFT is trying to address archetypes of people instead of teaching the (average, misinformed) consumer/user the benefits of the new (or worst: unknown) OS.

As for the Apple ads, the recent ones make me feel uneasy, because they're only about the company's image (which might address a lot of indecisive consumers, but not me).
Wish I could see what they're doing over in Europe with WP that's driving sales over there. Surely it can't all purely be Nokia brand loyalty.

NachiketS

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to say that I like your avatar.. I would argue that this is still the best FPS game to date

Absolutely and undeniably the BEST FPS game ever.

Back to the thread,
then, their efforts are not enough, Forget about the working handsets on display, there were not even the dummy phones on any counter. All my friends who were on different platform and gave windows phone a chance, love it. Its sad to see that their good products don't noticed by people.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I'd quote some things I agreed with from the original post, but that would be a waste of webpage space because it's like you read my mind and put it on interwebs paper!

There is one thing I slightly disagree with though, I think they did okay with the "come on!" Xbox One commercial, I still remember it after not seeing it for a long time, and it didn't really annoy me.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what happened to MS and their marketing. They were at the top of their game when creating commercials for the 360, but they haven't been able to create that type of magic since.

What they need to do is bombard people with WP where it makes sense. It's sad that if you go to OneDrive.com, it will cycle through a handful of devices and not one WP is seen. I see an Android phone and an Iphone, but do I see a WP model there? NOPE!

They need to be aggressive, very aggressive. Public awareness is one of the areas they are hurting the most. When thinking of a smartphone, most will probably think of iphone first and android second, but I doubt anyone thinks about WP. I wish I had a nickel every time someone saw my start screen and asked what my phone was. I shouldn't have to explain what a WP is, just like people don't have to explain what an iphone is. They are spending the money, but poorly.

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
This thread has hit the nail on the head. Apple makes a good product, there is no denying it but what has turned Apple into the juggernaut that it is, is arguably the best marketing department in any business. MS really needs to fire the whole marketing division and re-think their whole strategy. I'm with the OP, everyone that I've sat with and shown Windows and WP to has been extremely impressed and either have or will soon switch. Maybe we should get paid.....:)

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Wish I could see what they're doing over in Europe with WP that's driving sales over there. Surely it can't all purely be Nokia brand loyalty.

The last time I've seen a WP commercial on TV seems ages ago. I can't really tell what's driving sales over here, but if you go to a telecom provider or an electronics shop, they actually have phones on display. Sure you could end up with an Android or Apple biased sales person, but at O2 Germany they get incentives for Nokia, HTC or Sony devices (at least that was the case a few months ago).

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site

To be frank, there's no sign of advertisement when it comes down to WP here in the Netherlands (at least not lately). I do see surface commercials and a LOT of those on my university which is awesome! So their method with iPad vs Surface worked pretty well.

But WP? I'm the only WP user in class with another Android user. The rest all use iPhones. Then again, I did convert a few of my friends to WP and they absolutely love it. I only remember the Nokia 920 and 1020 being shortly promoted here. :unhappysweat:

NachiketS

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
But WP? I'm the only WP user in class with another Android user. The rest all use iPhones. Then again, I did convert a few of my friends to WP and they absolutely love it. I only remember the Nokia 920 and 1020 being shortly promoted here. :unhappysweat:

totally know how you feel.

Same case with me, I was the only WP user in my group for a long time, till a few courageous friends wanted to try WP and they love it now.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think their "Honestly" commercials are bad at all, they're just not anything special. They need to go back to satire like Nokia did with "Don't fight. Switch" and the Siri spoof commercials.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think their "Honestly" commercials are bad at all, they're just not anything special. They need to go back to satire like Nokia did with "Don't fight. Switch" and the Siri spoof commercials.

I don't think they should be doing too many of those. I think those commercials make Microsoft seem "immature", for lack of a better word. They be should focused solely on promoting their own products instead of trying to tarnish another's reputation in the process. Those commercials were funny, and a few of them now and then wouldn't be too bad; especially with Samsung's commercial with the ignorant, poorly thought-out, misuse of the Surface Pro docking station.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they should be doing too many of those. I think those commercials make Microsoft seem "immature", for lack of a better word. They be should focused solely on promoting their own products instead of trying to tarnish another's reputation in the process. Those commercials were funny, and a few of them now and then wouldn't be too bad; especially with Samsung's commercial with the ignorant, poorly thought-out, misuse of the Surface Pro docking station.

That's the thing though...Samsung's wasn't satire. Samsung's was just...bad marketing. For one, it has to actually be funny to be satire ;). There's a difference between being funny and being offensive, and I think Microsoft had the sweet spot. I'm not in any way saying Microsoft should be vicious or anything

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I really hope I never see anything like the Surface Pro break dancing commercial ever again. I hated being put in that stereotype for a week or so until everyone forgot about it.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I really hope I never see anything like the Surface Pro break dancing commercial ever again. I hated being put in that stereotype for a week or so until everyone forgot about it.

I didn't think that was a bad commercial. Putting stereotypes aside, I thought it was good marketing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte