Where's the "always ON" in WiFi settings?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
yes , they removed the option and Wi-Fi is always on :/ it's irritating if I left Wi-Fi on at night and email keeps on syncing in background

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Why the complaints? Wi-Fi uses less battery. If its annoying to have it sync all night (I assume you say this because you have email sounds turned on), just turn on quiet hour rules it will stop the sounds while you sleep.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't mind Wi-Fi being always on when I toggle it to on. Then again, I've been using it to "Always on" on my 920 and 925 for awhile now (both of those phones are still running Windows Phone 8). It doesn't seem to be affecting my 810's battery. My only issue with Wi-Fi on 8.1 is Wi-Fi Sense. I had some issues yesterday when I was out shopping at a mall near me. My 810 used to connect to the Kohl's free Wi-Fi out there and I had problems getting it to locate it, so I gave up and used my data instead.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I find it a bit amusing how it went from automatically turning wifi off, to an option enabling it in Portico(?) and now its the opposite in 8.1

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Why the complaints? Wi-Fi uses less battery. If its annoying to have it sync all night (I assume you say this because you have email sounds turned on), just turn on quiet hour rules it will stop the sounds while you sleep.

Quiet hour don't work on non-english language region.

If WiFi on turn OFF Cellular Data I agree with you. It's the best use WiFi than 3G/4G. But at least in WP8, both drains battery even when WiFi signal is better. So I assume this is very bad for battery save.

doesn't Wi-Fi use less power than the cellular data radio?

Probably, but when Cellular Data and WiFi are turned ON, battery drain faster. Because both are ON all the time, no matter if WiFi have good signal or not.

I honestly don't mind Wi-Fi being always on when I toggle it to on. Then again, I've been using it to "Always on" on my 920 and 925 for awhile now (both of those phones are still running Windows Phone 8). It doesn't seem to be affecting my 810's battery. My only issue with Wi-Fi on 8.1 is Wi-Fi Sense. I had some issues yesterday when I was out shopping at a mall near me. My 810 used to connect to the Kohl's free Wi-Fi out there and I had problems getting it to locate it, so I gave up and used my data instead.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
This is what WiFi Sense is for. There is no need to keep WiFi on all the time anymore. WiFi Sense is supposed to automatically manage your WiFi connections which also includes when to turn it on and off.

For example, there are options to automatically connect to WiFi hotspots or to automatically connect when you reach your favorite places when it detects you have reached that specific location. You can even specify when to turn it back on after 1 or 4 hours or 1 day. This is all done automatically by the OS so it doesn't have to keep it always on and drain your battery when you are not near a WiFi connection.

This is technology folks and the great stuff coming out of MS! :smile:

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
This is what WiFi Sense is for. There is no need to keep WiFi on all the time anymore. WiFi Sense is supposed to automatically manage your WiFi connections which also includes when to turn it on and off.

For example, there are options to automatically connect to WiFi hotspots or to automatically connect when you reach your favorite places when it detects you have reached that specific location. You can even specify when to turn it back on after 1 or 4 hours or 1 day. This is all done automatically by the OS so it doesn't have to keep it always on and drain your battery when you are not near a WiFi connection.

This is technology folks and the great stuff coming out of MS! :smile:

Back in x hours is not a option for non-english language too.

WiFi Sense is tottaly broken (all my friends have problem with this *****). When WiFi Sense is turned ON, notifications get unstable and have a lot of random WiFi disconnections even with good WiFi signal. It's just crazy. Doesn't work at all and I have seen many complains about WiFi Sense here in WP Central too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro