Anyone else missing the old search button functionality?

Masterz1337

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
While Cortana is pretty awesome, I must say I miss the old search button functionality too. Especially for the QR codes, how is that done now? Is there any way to get it back on the phone through a tile? It was a great way to find things out real quick about my surroundings,.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I've heard that you can get the standard Bing search by turning off your location. And as far as QR is involved, you can use the Bing Vision lens.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't keep location services on as a matter of practice, and so Cortana doesn't come up when I hit the search button. It's just the regular old search, same as 8.0 had, only now it searches the phone as well.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I miss the feature that tells you about nearby restaurants or other places.
You can still pin that from your maps app. and also, just ask cortana to find nearby restaurants. You can even say things like "find nearby Mexican restaurants" then it will show you a list, at that time you can press the mic button again and say "which one is the closest". You can also ask cortana to show you which one is cheaper.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I turn off locations for battery purposes. I don't use Siri when I had my iPhone and I don't think I'd use Cortana as much as well

CitrusMocha

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Cortana is my news hub. I dont use her for anything other than that and everything I need can be done while connected to wifi. No use to have her run in the background.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
You can still pin that from your maps app. and also, just ask cortana to find nearby restaurants. You can even say things like "find nearby Mexican restaurants" then it will show you a list, at that time you can press the mic button again and say "which one is the closest". You can also ask cortana to show you which one is cheaper.
How do you pin that from the maps app? I couldn't find any option to do that.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
How do you pin that from the maps app? I couldn't find any option to do that.

We are not talking about the Nokia Here Maps, just to be clear. There is a built in Maps app, you'll see it in your list called 'maps'. On the bottom of the maps screen are 4 round icons, click the one for local scout. from there, click the 3 dots on the bottom of the local scout screen and click pin to start.

wp_ss_20140509_0001.jpg
Just a side note, see how the local scout icon is grayed out? If you have that, just hit the 'me' icon which is the round one next to the search button.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro