I got to school the AT&T guy!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So while my work phone - by company requirement - is and will always be an iPhone (currently it's a 5S), my personal phone is whatever I want it to be at any given moment, switching between an iPhone 4 and a Lumia 820 (although in the last year, I've switched from a 520 to a 920 to the 820, heh. I'm fickle like that).

The other night I decided to bite the bullet and throw the 8.1 developer preview on my 820. I popped in my SIM and did all the upgrades. No problem, worked great. Yesterday, however, I had to swing by an AT&T store to have my data plan switched from the iPhone data plan to the generic smartphone LTE data plan.

I tell the guy what I need and he starts asking me for IMEI and all that, which, of course, I get off the phone. I can tell that the 8.1 backgrounded tiles immediately catch his attention. He asks me to restart the phone, which I do. Once it's up, he asks if he can see my phone, so I hand it over to him.

"How... how did you do that to your tiles?": he asks. He reaches under the counter, pulls out a 1520, and sets it next to my phone. "I use Windows Phone too," he adds.

So I tell him about the developer preview and all the cool, new stuff it adds; he didn't know anything about it. I spent probably a good 15 minutes or so going over all the new stuff in 8.1.

Anyway, I just thought that was pretty cool. :)

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Cool story. You might be the first person to see an AT&T rep using a windows phone. Lucky you. Everyone I have met is always steering you to other products.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
That is cool. The at&t guy who sold me my 920 was enthusiastic about Windows Phone. It was launch day for WP8, so I don't know if he was really into it or just playing the part, but he said his 920 was on order when I picked mine up.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Last month, I went to the AT&T store to pick up a Zagg screen protector I ordered online. I asked if someone in the store would install the screen protector for me, since I cannot install screen protectors without bubble issues.

The guy who installed the screen protector on my 920 had a red 1520. There was also a woman who worked at that store who had a red 1520. I know those were their personal phones, since I saw both of them take the phones out of their pockets.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Last month, I went to the AT&T store to pick up a Zagg screen protector I ordered online. I asked if someone in the store would install the screen protector for me, since I cannot install screen protectors without bubble issues.

The guy who installed the screen protector on my 920 had a red 1520. There was also a woman who worked at that store who had a red 1520. I know those were their personal phones, since I saw both of them take the phones out of their pockets.
Awesome nonetheless but why does the fact that they took the phone from their pockets make it a personal phone?

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Would YOU keep a 1520 in your pocket if it wasn't a personal phone? :D I don't even think a 1520 would fit in my pocket, heh.

If it was a company phone I would. I use to keep the company iPhone in my pants pocket, with no case. But my personal phone I kept in my shirt pocket with a case and a shield. They didn't want to buy me the phone I wanted, so I didn't care. Broke the iPhone when it hit the floor. They gave me another, I put it in the desk drawer and set it to forward all calls to my personal phone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Would YOU keep a 1520 in your pocket if it wasn't a personal phone? :D I don't even think a 1520 would fit in my pocket, heh.

I'm eligible for an upgrade, but I'm waiting for the 930 or another similar new device. The 1520 is too big for the pockets on my jeans, and I wear regular fit jeans, not skinny jeans.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If it was a company phone I would. I use to keep the company iPhone in my pants pocket, with no case. But my personal phone I kept in my shirt pocket with a case and a shield. They didn't want to buy me the phone I wanted, so I didn't care. Broke the iPhone when it hit the floor. They gave me another, I put it in the desk drawer and set it to forward all calls to my personal phone.
I'd imagine AT&T employees are able to choose any smartphone they want. They have to like the 1520, since it is big, and smaller devices, even other Windows Phones are available.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
So does this mean that when I get my 1520 this weekend and ask the sales representative if upgrading to WP8.1 will void any warranty or contract he or she probably won't even know what I'm talking about?

Last edited:

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Cool story. You might be the first person to see an AT&T rep using a windows phone. Lucky you. Everyone I have met is always steering you to other products.
the guy I deal with at local at&t corp. store uses a lumia 1020.
when I got my 1520 and son his 1020 rep actually didn't push anything.
I know what I want, and I get it.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
So does this mean that when I get my 1520 this weekend and ask the sales representative if upgrading to WP8.1 will void any warranty or contract he or she probably won't even know what I'm talking about?

There's a possibility that the att reps won't, but Microsoft stores will. Do you have a Microsoft store in your area?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
There's a possibility that the att reps won't, but Microsoft stores will. Do you have a Microsoft store in your area?

Not really. {?..?(
The closest store is 178.17 miles/2hrs. 48 mins. from my house. I think there's a kiosk 22.86 miles/25 mins. from my house, but I am being taken to get my 1520 by someone and they wouldn't go 23 miles away when there's an AT&T store 1.58 miles/4 minutes from my house.

Last edited:

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Not really. {?..?(
The closest store is 178.17 miles/2hrs. 48 mins. from my house. I think there's a kiosk 22.86 miles/25 mins. from my house, but I am being taken to get my 1520 by someone and they wouldn't go 23 miles away when there's an AT&T store 1.58 miles/4 minutes from my house.
the way you wrote this made me laugh! My nearest MS Store isn't even in my country I suppose (India).

brau0303

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My local AT&T store is totally ignoarant on WP's. But, seeings how they are the prototypical store, they only know 2 phones: The iPhone and latest Galaxy phone. Even other Androids (my wife needed to see a Flex from LG recently) they are lost on.

In Champaign IL, their AT&T store rocks. They have a good group of reps who have a nice grasp of the basics and the advantages of WP. They are good with all their phones. They even have someone who is familier with BB10, which blew my brain.

My local Verizon store is really good as well, though with no working WP's, only dummy phones.

@iamtim, I was amused. Good to see my fellow WPC members smiling while showing off!! Makes me giggle...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm eligible for an upgrade, but I'm waiting for the 930 or another similar new device. The 1520 is too big for the pockets on my jeans, and I wear regular fit jeans, not skinny jeans.

Amen, Laura. I loved the L1520. But...but.... I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but it is a kinda stinking large phone.

Bring on that L930. I will race you to see you uses their upgrade first.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Amen, Laura. I loved the L1520. But...but.... I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but it is a kinda stinking large phone.

YES, it is kinda large, for about a week, then it seems normal & other phones are just small.

The camera, the 6" surfing experience, the brilliant display, the fluid OS - did I mention the camera. Phones are going bigger, it's the current trend w smartphones. I actually use mine as (gasp) a phone - the earpiece & mic line up.

I keep it in a ribbed case (slippery bugger - adds some grip - NOT the silicone hybrid = fugly) & put it in my jeans back pocket, sometimes I wear the holster (@ work) the case came with. It just works, for me.

Remember, NO perfect phone, just perfect for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte