Should I install Windows Phone 8.1?

RobinPaul

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys any suggestions needed:

Today im getting my Nokia Lumia 920 back from repair and it has 8.0 on it. Now my question is should i put 8.1 on it or wait till official release?

Cause i've been using my HTC 8X with 8.1 on it with no problems at all.

​Thanks

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Go for 8.1. I'm using it on my 1020 and it's a massive improvement over 8. I couldn't live without a swipe keyboard and 3 rows of tiles now.

I see no downsides.

Aniket Mhatre

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys any suggestions needed:

Today im getting my Nokia Lumia 920 back from repair and it has 8.0 on it. Now my question is should i put 8.1 on it or wait till official release?

Cause i've been using my HTC 8X with 8.1 on it with no problems at all.

​Thanks

You should wait for the official release till then enjoy it on your htc. If you don't mind using your phone with few bugs then go for it. 😊 go through threads regarding bugs in 920 after 8.1 update and then decide what you want to do.

RobinPaul

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I will be probably better off waiting for Official Release, don't want to risk messing up my phone again. Plus i kinda missed the integrated facebook in the people hub :)

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
While my 2 year old 920 has never been especially good at battery life (could barely survive a typical day), since getting the 8.1 developer preview, battery life and overheating has become a bigger issue (cannot make it through a typical day without recharge, and sometimes drops below 50% well before noon). I haven't been able to identify the culprit using Battery Saver (identifies battery usage by app), so it may be an issue with the core of the OS. Thinking that it was from the GPS location working more often (for geofencing, which doesn't even trigger the location icon to illuminate), I turned off location services for a day, without any significant improvement.

Perhaps this isn't an issue for most 920 users, and I know that syncing my e-mail services (1 MS Exchange account, 2 IMAP accounts, 2 Google accounts) has always been a source of battery drain, and reducing the frequency of syncing the accounts has been helpful in managing battery life.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It goes without saying, did you do a hard reset and if you did then did you restore from a backup after.

Try a hard reset and start as new so don't restore from a backup. Yes it is a pain but it works. Also turn of WiFi sense and if you can do without it then don't have Cortana live tile.

Other people have had some problems with Gmail so you might want to defeat them for a day or two if you can just to see if it helps.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
If you're happy with how 8.1 is on your HTC then I'd go ahead with it on the Lumia, since you know what to expect.

If you wait for the official release you will have a much smoother and more optimised experience though, since you have not just the OS tweaks but the hardware firmware to match.

praveen9663

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Resetting the Phone is very essential (It is good) to do after installing w8.1...since no SD card support it may be problem to get back Musics,videos,photos (only from onedrive is possible)....other than that no Problems in updating device....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss