Skype/Windows Phone Push Notifcations [My Own Help Tips]

Imperiums

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
As most of everyone who uses Skype on windows phone (using Nokia 521 myself) the recent changes to linking the Microsoft email account with the Skype account has caused numerous complaints from the community with regards to push notifications no longer working. Personally i went through much effort to understand why this issue happened to my own smartphone, how to resolve it, and hopefully share what I've learned with the community here.

Originally i had posted this issue on the Skype community forums, and the basic responses were
to use /showendpoints in chat command to show the currently registered active endpoints that should
receive push notifications, and then to use /remotelogout command to force sign out all other instances.

These commands didn't make any changes to my current issue, and was then asked to use /dumpmsnp
in any chat and then send the results directly to a Skype community mod, which in turn i did,
but with no avail, no notifications. Eventually got into a support chat with a Skype tech person and had them unlink my Hotmail account and then it all became suddenly clear as to why this was happening...

So here we go...

1) you MUST use the same Hotmail account that was used to setup your smartphone with the Skype
windows phone app, when you first login into the Skype app, it even says it's best to use the same account.

My problem was before the Skype/Microsoft linking changes, i was using a different email, so therefore no notifications...

2) you must go to your Skype account page, head to Account settings and at the very top you will see Skype Microsoft account, next to the MS you will either see "Unlink" or nothing next to it, which means no email account is connected. You are only allowed a few attempts to unlink the email account if you need to do so, if you cannot, you must then contact their support for additional help.

As soon as i updated my Hotmail email that was used to setup my smartphone with my Skype windows phone app, the notifications started to work within the hour and life is good, so in ending, i hope this information helps a few out there still struggling with this issue.

Last edited:

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this with us. I will try this ASAP as I reach back home. I have notifications issues on all my devices. Sometimes chat history does not sync.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for post!

Personally I haven't had any issue with individual chat notifications and chat history sync. I just don't get any group notifications at all... It is pretty annoying and using the account tied to my phone is not an option as that is what it is used for only.

The last thing I want is to get spam and forwards on my phone lol - already get that with another account tied to my phone - the one that is used for skype, which was a fresh account (made only for skype) and two months later, I am plagued with spam and chain mails... Argh!

Imperiums

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for post!

Personally I haven't had any issue with individual chat notifications and chat history sync. I just don't get any group notifications at all... It is pretty annoying and using the account tied to my phone is not an option as that is what it is used for only.

The last thing I want is to get spam and forwards on my phone lol - already get that with another account tied to my phone - the one that is used for skype, which was a fresh account (made only for skype) and two months later, I am plagued with spam and chain mails... Argh!

if this is any consolation, I found this for you from my own thread off the Skype forums regarding group chat notifications from a Skype mod :

"it is (for the moment) by design that group chats do not use push notifications. Groups are still peer-to-peer based and have no way to notify a central server that a push is needed. At some point in the near future (I don't have the exact timeline), group chats will be server-based like one-to-one and you will get push for them as well."

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
if this is any consolation, I found this for you from my own thread off the Skype forums regarding group chat notifications from a Skype mod :

"it is (for the moment) by design that group chats do not use push notifications. Groups are still peer-to-peer based and have no way to notify a central server that a push is needed. At some point in the near future (I don't have the exact timeline), group chats will be server-based like one-to-one and you will get push for them as well."

Ah I see thanks for that, I thought I was the only one in my group going mental LOL.

Imperiums

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad I could help, as I was going nuts myself trying to sort all of this out with the changes to Skype & Microsoft linking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss