Well I messed up this morning and shattered my Lumia 920 with WP 8.1 on it.

Bought a new one on craigslist just now.

win_20140514_104816.jpg

My goal is to get the new one just like my old one. I'm hoping I can use WP 8.1s improve backup system to do so, but I'm not sure what to do so.

I haven't put my SIM into the new one. I just went through initial set up but I did not enter my microsoft account information. SO its running without that. I'm currently installing the updates to WP I can just get over WIFI. Then what do I do?

Thanks everyone for any help!!
    Last edited by skiboysteve; 05-14-2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: fix bolding formatting
    05-14-2014 11:56 AM
    Well...I would start by not holding your phone like that

Then once it's updated to 8.1 DP, just restore to factory setting, sign into your MS account and choose a backup from the list.
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    05-14-2014 12:01 PM
    When updated to 8.1 Put your sim in, hard reset, sign in with your ms account and follow the prompts. 8.1 asks you if you want to do a restore when it does an initial post reset set up.

Dead easy mate.
    05-14-2014 12:02 PM
    Sorry for your loss but hey you got another Lumia 920 to play ,I believe you need to add Microsoft Id before installing OS updates (windows phone 8.1 ) not sure about this one but glad you didn't opted for backup while setting up windows phone 8.0. Install windows phone 8.1 and then try to do a hard reset by going into phone settings/about/reset. This time sign-in with your Microsoft ID and use backup when prompted. Good luck
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-14-2014 12:02 PM
    Good point :)

To get the preview for developers on I need to sync it to my MS account... right? This will cause 2 windows phones to be on my MS account. Is there going to be any oddities with this new phone start backing up or syncing after I add MS account to it... when I really dont want to do that until I get wp 8.1 on it?
    05-14-2014 12:04 PM
    If your broken one still works, I recommend first going to settings -> backup and make sure everything is configured how you want it.

Then go to settings -> Sync my setting and make sure everything is checked how you want it. I noticed that "Theme" is unchecked by default, but I checked it and really like how it worked when I last reset my phone.

EDIT:

To get the preview for developers on I need to sync it to my MS account... right? This will cause 2 windows phones to be on my MS account. Is there going to be any oddities with this new phone start backing up or syncing after I add MS account to it... when I really dont want to do that until I get wp 8.1 on it?
    Yes. And I recommend doing it this way: Before you link your new phone, if your old one is still functioning, force a backup and wait until it finishes. Note the time and date. Then link the phone, tell it not to restore from backups, then immediately go to settings - backup and turn everything off. Do NOT click backup now. Now upgrade to 8.1, and as soon as it's done, hard reset and restore from the backup of your old phone.
    05-14-2014 12:07 PM

Yes you need the app (you need to enter your Microsoft ID under phone settings/email+accounts/add account/Microsoft account) after doing this quickly go into backup and turn of backup option so that it does not create any more new backups :)
    Also after installing windows phone 8.1 DP , do a hard reset and sign in with your same Microsoft Id you have used on your previous Lumia 920 , It will also show you which backup you want to opt for , choose the most recent one :)
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-14-2014 12:09 PM
    Thanks everyone. trying that now!
    05-14-2014 12:50 PM
    FYI after adding the microsoft account it asks if you want to turn on backup. SO you dont have to quickly switch and turn it off.
    05-14-2014 12:54 PM
    Its really annoying that on windowsphone.com I have two devices there now. I guess I understand why, but I wish I could just do this 'in place' easier. Probably just an artifact of having to attach to MS account before I could restore the backup. Oh well. I'll fix it all up
    05-14-2014 01:11 PM
    Oh no. I am experiencing the worst possible outcome now. All my app history is gone including all purchases. I can guess this is because windowsphone.com had two phones with my phone name after this process and I removed one. I did find my phone -> ring to make sure I removed the right one. Ugh. Now what?
    05-14-2014 08:24 PM
    After a few hours and a few restarts all has returned to normal and everything shows up right. Woohoo!
    05-14-2014 11:01 PM
    Yep, it may take a while, but all your purchases should be active on your new phone. Sometimes you may have to click "buy", and instead of asking you how to pay, it'll say "You already own this" (if it asks you to pay, hit cancel and contact Microsoft).

Also, on WindowsPhone.com, you can select the phone you want, then select "My phone" and "Remove device." It's just tough to tell which is which. I usually try to go by which one it is able to locate in Find My Phone.
    05-15-2014 11:39 AM
    If your broken one still works, I recommend first going to settings -> backup and make sure everything is configured how you want it.

Then go to settings -> Sync my setting and make sure everything is checked how you want it. I noticed that "Theme" is unchecked by default, but I checked it and really like how it worked when I last reset my phone.

EDIT:

Yes. And I recommend doing it this way: Before you link your new phone, if your old one is still functioning, force a backup and wait until it finishes. Note the time and date. Then link the phone, tell it not to restore from backups, then immediately go to settings - backup and turn everything off. Do NOT click backup now. Now upgrade to 8.1, and as soon as it's done, hard reset and restore from the backup of your old phone.
    That is the second best way to get bugs in 8.1

You shouldn't restore from a backup when you do the hard reset after installing 8.1 just set the phone up new.
    aximtreo likes this.
    05-15-2014 04:22 PM