FM radio with no data?

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I read some things about an FM tuner that doesn't use data but I read so many things that I forgot whether it should work on WP 8.1. So, will I be able to get FM radio on my phone (Nokia Lumia 520) with WP 8.1 without needing data? What if my cell phone service is down, like if the towers disappear and my Pay As You Go account is depleted?

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I know, theoretically that's true, but I'm not sure about the Lumia 520. I guess I should ask "can I get FM radio on my Lumia 520 with no cell phone service at all"? I mean, I can download whatever I need with WiFi, but then if I have absolutely no phone or data service, can I listen to FM radio with my Lumia 520?

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The problem is, instructions tend to suck for everything and assume knowledge that the consumer doesn't necessarily have. Some apps require data even for things that are possible to do without data. An FM radio app may require that for ads or something. I'm not convinced I can get FM radio on my phone with no cell phone or data service. Unfortunately, I think I need an "FM Radio on Cell Phones for Dummies" type answer.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I think I need an "FM Radio on Cell Phones for Dummies" type answer.

Ye gads. That's exactly what you've been given.

The FM radio in your phone is a separate radio than the cell/data radio. It is a regular FM radio. It uses the headphones for an antenna just like any other FM radio. You can have no cellular service, no cellular data, no wifi data, and the FM radio will still work because that's all it is - an FM radio.

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The way I see to access radio is through the AT&T Radio icon. The EULA for AT&T Radio says "The Application allows You to listen to music channels, local radio stations, radio talk shows, and other radio channels on Your Device. Voice, data and messaging rates may apply when You use this Application" emphasis mine.

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
OK, I found FM radio through my "Music + Videos" and it works with my WiFi off and no plan. I don't have headphones yet but I plugged in a mic and got a few stations through the speaker. I hope headphones would get me more stations and make them clearer.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The headphones work as an antenna and yes they should make them more clearer. Also with 8.1 you can pin FM Radio to your start screen as it is now essentially a stand alone app.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, exactly, You could pull out your SIM card and with no data, FM would work(of course depending on the model)... Think of it like having a portable FM radio but, you need headphones to listen to it (attena).

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
And if you have a Pebble smart watch with Pebble Watch Pro app you can control the FM radio from your watch. Set up 6 preset stations and move between them by clicking the previous or next buttons on the watch or press the play/mute button to play or mute the FM radio.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon