He,

Since a week or two I have the owner of a Nokia Lumia 1520. Offcourse I updated to WP8.1 to tryout the new features and such. But since a couple of days my phone has a life of its own. Without touching the search button it begins to search and eventually it starts the voice search. Even if the phone is lying on my couch or something it just start searching....

When this happens my screen usually freezes to. I have to restart the phone by holding the powerbutton. But I have done that now and it just seems to keep doing it. This morning it was working fine but in the afternoon the phone started to freak out. Samething happend yesterday and the day before.

Could this be a software problem of is this a hardware problem?

Please help I want to use my phone normally.
    05-14-2014 12:05 PM
    Thanks everyone! :D
    Just did the hard reset without recovering the backup file. Works perfectly fine!

To make it easier for other people.
    1. Backup everything on your PC
    2. Don't backup anything on OneDrive ( It's not worth backing up stuff on cloud cause you're going to setup as a new phone. If you do recover the backup file the bug is going to come again )
    3. Hard reset the phone. Settings > About > Reset. ( Erase/Format SD Card Too )
    4. Setup the phone as a new phone but do not recover any backup files. ( As it contains the bug and you don't need the old backup files. Trust me! ) Done! :)

Sorry for my English. :|
    It sounds like a software problem. You should reset
    05-14-2014 12:12 PM
    hey welcome to WPCentral
    This is a software issue because I am also facing this issue , a soft reset works fine here , to do so press volume down + lock button at the same time until your phone vibrates and reboot itself (ignore the black screen to power down the phone ).
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-14-2014 12:12 PM
    I am almost certain but I am just asking it to be sure. When I soft reset my phone all apps and such stay intact right?
    05-14-2014 12:16 PM
    Yes. Your apps and files will stay intact
    05-14-2014 12:21 PM
    Just did the soft reset but the problem occured again. Does this mean I have to soft reset the phone everytime?
    05-14-2014 12:56 PM
    Just did the soft reset but the problem occured again. Does this mean I have to soft reset the phone everytime?
    there is a new update , try going into phone settings/phone updates :)
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-14-2014 01:05 PM
    I had the same problem with my 1520 when I first got it. In my case I think it was to do with the screen protector that zagg put on my phone. If you notice the mic hole is at the bottom of the glass between the windows logo and search logo. When zagg squeegeed the water, it went into the hole and caused it to do random searches. After a couple of weeks it totally went away.

I have removed the screen protector(waste of money) and still working fine for 5 months now.
    05-14-2014 01:58 PM
    I installed the update but the problem still exists. I also have a screenprotector but a dry one so I don't think that can be a problem?
    05-14-2014 02:14 PM
    My Lumia 1520 is doing the same thing! Did you find any fix for this?
    Well I dropped my phone couple of times but the things you described is happening with my one.
    09-20-2014 10:31 PM
    Try to do a hard reset, back up everything on your PC and in Settings>backup and reset.
    Sajidahmed0918 likes this.
    09-20-2014 10:36 PM
    I did it not working. Any other way?
    09-21-2014 01:47 AM
    Then it isn't a software problem, sadly the most likely thing us that your device is faulty :\
    09-21-2014 04:36 PM
    One last option.....use Nokia software recovery tool... It will reinstall the whole operating system again so it may fix it. But DONT use backup as it may have the bug... Start from new...
    Sajidahmed0918 likes this.
    09-21-2014 05:16 PM
    Thanks everyone! :D
    Just did the hard reset without recovering the backup file. Works perfectly fine!

To make it easier for other people.
    1. Backup everything on your PC
    2. Don't backup anything on OneDrive ( It's not worth backing up stuff on cloud cause you're going to setup as a new phone. If you do recover the backup file the bug is going to come again )
    3. Hard reset the phone. Settings > About > Reset. ( Erase/Format SD Card Too )
    4. Setup the phone as a new phone but do not recover any backup files. ( As it contains the bug and you don't need the old backup files. Trust me! ) Done! :)

Sorry for my English. :|
    switch side method likes this.
    09-22-2014 03:03 PM