Did the 8.1 update break passbook/wallet

MrAdelphi02

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I tried to add a passbook file into my wallet and it came back with "You need an app" and prompted me to download something to open the link with instead of adding it to wallet.

wp_ss_20140515_0001.png

Also, what is the use of wallet? It doesn't seem to be able to do anything!!?

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
The first time I used Wallet was after the initial 8.1 preview release, when I found out local cinema would send its tickets in passbook format (saving the whole picking the tickets up from the box office or a machine malarkey).

Sadly today when I tried to add my subway card to it (having spotted they offered it in passbook format) I found it no longer worked.

With the amount of passbook supported things out there I thought wallet would finally be useful too. For example, I believe that once you have the passbook in the wallet, it works offline - so when abroad you could store flight tickets while on WiFi without having to worry about using roaming data at the airport...

David Sporer

May 16, 2014
Visit site
In case you don't know it, there are third party Apps that support Passbook on Windows Phone: Features
Means you just have to install the App and are then able to save any Passbook Pass on Windows Phone.

shinsenai

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've tried most of the passbook apps able to store passes in the Wallet, but it's not the same thing. When you use one of those apps, you open the wallet and then you have to find the app listed in Wallet, click on the entry, this opens another page with a link to open the app, you click on it, open the app, then inside the app look for the passbook entry. It is just a complicated launcher for the app. In the (now broken) Wallet implementation, the passbook entry was displayed directly in Wallet and was a one-click business to open it. For flight, the entries were listed at the top and the next flight was actually highlighted in a special way to make it easily accessible.

David Sporer

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I've worked together with the Developers of Wallet Pass. They're always happy for Feedback. So if you think there's room for Improvement I'm sure they'll take your Feedback into Account.

Thiessie

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I think it shoud work like before the last update. Save passbook file from Lufthansa into wallet. Germanwings (another german airline) does also not work.

Wallet Pass

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm the developer of Wallet Pass and I think Microsoft has removed the pkpass file type association for wallet app. I think this is a mistake and it will be solved in next update. But I hope that the association will not be reserved like in first update, there were some passbooks that wallet couldn't open and third apps could.

shinsenai, as David says, if you have any suggestion I'm always pleased to hear and take in consideration, the app can be improved in many ways, and users suggestions are welcome.

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming there is a good reason why this had to be removed so quickly from the dev preview (from the look of this thread, it was in for about a month). It would have been nice to have some official acknowledgment of the reason, though (if only so that we don't keep our hopes up that it would return).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo