Open new links from apps in IE11

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, haven't found a thread covering this so..

In IE10 there was an option to open links from apps in either a new or the active tab. This option is now gone and I'm yet to figure out what is the standard behavior. Sometimes apps will open a new tab and sometimes they'll overwrite my to-be-read tabs from previous sessions. Annoys the heck out of me, somebody please enlighten me :angel:

tiwahu

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
I like how that part of IE works now in 8.1! Needing to choose one of those options was only what I wanted about half the time. I don't know the exact rules now, but it seem like links from other apps open a new "window" which goes away when you back out. I don't think it overwrites other windows of tabs. The IE app would then have its own independent window of tabs when you launch it directly. (I'm really just guessing on how it works, so that might not be entirely accurate.)

For the "read later" thing, I started sharing the pages to the Reading List app, that way the tabs don't disappear. I assume you could find the pages in history if you really wanted.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I like how that part of IE works now in 8.1! Needing to choose one of those options was only what I wanted about half the time. I don't know the exact rules now, but it seem like links from other apps open a new "window" which goes away when you back out. I don't think it overwrites other windows of tabs. The IE app would then have its own independent window of tabs when you launch it directly. (I'm really just guessing on how it works, so that might not be entirely accurate.)

For the "read later" thing, I started sharing the pages to the Reading List app, that way the tabs don't disappear. I assume you could find the pages in history if you really wanted.

I'm grateful that they change the way tabbed browsing works every few months or so, because this keeps me from falling into too much of a mental routine, and they say that learning new things is a great way to keep your brain active for life!

tiwahu

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
I catch myself a LOT hitting the dots to get to tabs. I don't like how they migrate though. I prefer the old way

You could change the address bar button to "tabs" in IE's settings. I believe that is the new default, but if you did an upgrade it probably kept your setting from 8.0. I don't mind using the menu (i.e., "...") to get to favorites, so it's a good trade-off for me. If I had websites I often wanted to quickly access, they would be pinned to Start instead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers