Texts not restored after a hard reset on a dev preview!!

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Well actually first I thought my internet was down but later I realised that after hard resetting my Lumia 720 on the 8.1 dev preview and then trying to restore the backed up text messages, the texts were not fully back. I just had around 8 conversations back and that also without the full history. I tried changing the setting to last year or anytime but doesn't work. I am clueless. Is this a bug? Anyone facing this too. I have always loved this feature and I need all my texts messages back. 😩

ca_guri

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I too have this and the thing which I understand is that, only those messages were backed up which you actually receive in the phone, the messages which you import via transfer my contacts app are not backed up, I had done 3-4 times hard resets and notice this thing.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

This doesn't have anything to do with SMS text message backup, which is unaffected by this. If this was the case, then everyone's text messages would disappear and there would be a million screaming voices...

Backup will only happen if the backup option is set (and stays set). If you force a sync on your Microsoft Account (in settings->email+accounts), you may see an error code indicating a failure.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This doesn't have anything to do with SMS text message backup, which is unaffected by this. If this was the case, then everyone's text messages would disappear and there would be a million screaming voices...

Backup will only happen if the backup option is set (and stays set). If you force a sync on your Microsoft Account (in settings->email+accounts), you may see an error code indicating a failure.

I thought text messages backups are stored on outlook servers which they recently killed ?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought text messages backups are stored on outlook servers which they recently killed ?
They are stored on outlook.com yes, but they are not affected by the message history change as you've linked above.

I have my incoming SMS messages visible in my outlook.com and they're still there and all up to date. I didn't follow the steps in the article as I never used outlook messaging.

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Go to your messaging app and select settings. You probably have it set to download only the past month. I had the same thing and thought they were gone after a hard reset too. You can change the setting to download the past year or all time. I just changed mine to past year and they are downloading again in the messaging app. I am talking about SMS messages. All threads are back. I suppose if you select all time they will restore all from the time you turned text message back up on.

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Not working.
Go to your messaging app and select settings. You probably have it set to download only the past month. I had the same thing and thought they were gone after a hard reset too. You can change the setting to download the past year or all time. I just changed mine to past year and they are downloading again in the messaging app. I am talking about SMS messages. All threads are back. I suppose if you select all time they will restore all from the time you turned text message back up on.

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Try going to your Microsoft account under settings hold down in the account and select sync. Maybe that will help after you change the messaging settings to the past year or anytime?

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
No still doesnt work ,I have already reset my phone thrice. I am so pisssst !!
Try going to your Microsoft account under settings hold down in the account and select sync. Maybe that will help after you change the messaging settings to the past year or anytime?

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Not that I have reset my phone three times and still the text messages are not back I may have to say good bye to them. dwarf.gif And not only that now I dont have whatsapp too ! 6a673b267.gif Someone please kill me!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If the settings->backup option for sms messages work the same way as it is for photos then turning on the backup won't save pre-existing sms messages (it will only back up from when the backup was set to "on"). You've not said explicitly whether you had the option set to "on" from the outset.

From experimenting, the backup of sms messages is synchronised with the email for your Microsoft Account. This is why I brought up the idea of forcing the sync from settings->email+accounts. You've not reported the result of that operation, so I suggest that you do that to see if it's reporting a synchronisation error.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I just did a hard reset yesterday. I only have partial restore of my SMS.

now u can not do anything. for the next time,
make sure u have checked the backup status.
the backup is infrequent. it's not daily, mostly monthly. thus, it may happen that backup is not upto date.
i also did a hard reset last night. but i have checked and taken backup manually before that. viola. now, all the msgs are restored pretty well.

what i am missing is whatsapp, as it is currently not available in the store. thankfully, though i am gonna miss it, its gonna give me peace of mind for a few days.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
my backup and restore after hard reset was awesome. a complete restore of data (msgs and settings) and apps is done except a few apps such as: -
1. whatsapp : not currently published
2. nokia reading & Cortana : not available in my region. i downloaded with region change trick.

apart from this, all apps downloaded one by one, including the updates such as Display and Extras updates from Nokia.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb