Saving an edited photo overwrites the original

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It looks like MS changed the edit photo function for cropping and resizing. Apparently, the app now overwrites the original photos. I learned this the hard way today, and thought that it had the same 8.0 behavior. Nope. After I pressed save, there was no going back to the full-resolution photo. I really liked the old WP8.0 where the changes are made on another copy, and the original copy is NEVER touched. This made more logical sense to me because I like to play around with various editing, and once it's good, I manually delete the original picture. Here, it's no going back.

Most of the changes so far from MS have been puzzling and downright stupid.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It looks like MS changed the edit photo function for cropping and resizing. Apparently, the app now overwrites the original photos. I learned this the hard way today, and thought that it had the same 8.0 behavior. Nope. After I pressed save, there was no going back to the full-resolution photo. I really liked the old WP8.0 where the changes are made on another copy, and the original copy is NEVER touched. This made more logical sense to me because I like to play around with various editing, and once it's good, I manually delete the original picture. Here, it's no going back.

The changes are always on another copy as long as you are not using Nokia creative studio !

NCS overwrites the original image

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Nokia creative studio does NOT overwrite the original, the default cropping tool in the photos hub did that in 8.0. It doesn't do that in 8.1

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Correct... Creative Studio keeps the original. The edit picture is save in the same folder as the original... Its the "Crop, Rotate, Auto-fix" app that over-rides the orginal

yunchikan

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
i thought the built in cropping tool in the pictures hub had always overwrites the original picture.. 8.0 or 8.1? so I have always avoided using that. is that not true?

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
This kind of sucks. Its hard to compare, because the original photo disappears, but I want to say that the cropped photo saves a lower quality than the original photo, which is why I hate cropping and saving on my wp. I normally use a photo editor on my lap top. Does this happen inside the Lumia photo apps as well, or just the default camera app?

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
The default cropping tool will always overwrite, regardless of which app was used to take the photo. It's best to crop photos using Nokia creative studio or some other photo editing app. Reframing and cropping inside the Nokia camera app will not overwrite the photo, and you can always reset the changes, without having to make copies

BOOMTING

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I am super annoyed about this, I was just playing around with a photo I really love, cropped it, hit save thinking that it'll make a copy either in the camera roll or saved pictures... And it's ruined!

Of course, the copy uploaded to Onedrive isn't full resolution and I've tried to recover the original file from my SD card via numerous programs and nothing!

Arrrrggggh, this is so simple, so, so simple, and yet because of a silly over-sight by Microsoft I've now lost the original of a picture I really wanted to keep. :(

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

If your camera shoots in raw as well then raw is your backup. If not then you will have to make a copy to edit on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3